TDK Presentation

T

Teh Tot

I'm doing a presentation on the history and theory of Tae Kwon-Do. I'm in the USTF and was wondering what I should include in the presentation to acurately show what goes on in class and during tests. Any suggestions?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you trying to tie what goes on in testing and in class with TKD theory and history? If you're just looking to describe what goes on in class and testing, you could largely accomplish that by reading from the white book (gup syllabus). It'd be kind of a dry presentation though. ;)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teh Tot, welcome to the board. What you have listed are four different subjects. l. History 2. Theory 3. What goes on in class (teaching?) 4. Testing (requirements?) While 2 and 3 are related and 4 is the end result, I don't see 1. History being in the mix, and I think is a separate subject. TW

OP
T

Teh Tot

Marginal said:
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you trying to tie what goes on in testing and in class with TKD theory and history? If you're just looking to describe what goes on in class and testing, you could largely accomplish that by reading from the white book (gup syllabus). It'd be kind of a dry presentation though. ;)
Im working on an over all presentation of the USTF vs. WTF, Theory of power, sine wave, and a bunch of history like a short Bio on General Choi. I see that reading out of the white book would be boring and thats what I'm trying to avoid. but I want to include much more than just the testing requirements. My school uses Tae Kwon Do as its Physical Education class, and the instructor is a WTF black belt. He and I thought it would be neat if I showed them the differences between our 2 styles of TKD. So thats what I'm doing. And thank you for the welcome TW. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, seeing how your instructor is WTF, if you need advice about ITF, Marginal may be willing to help you answer any questions about that. But it would be helpful to be more specific. I'm WTF oriented, but would help as well. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I do both ITF and WTF what would you like to know, I may be able to answer some of your questions?

OP
T

Teh Tot

I'm ITF oriented. just one of my teachers for school is WTF. and terry, what do you think I should include in a presentation to a group of middle schoolers who have very little experience in TKD and all from the WTF.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Well, seeing how your instructor is WTF, if you need advice about ITF, Marginal may be willing to help you answer any questions about that. But it would be helpful to be more specific. I'm WTF oriented, but would help as well. TW

It's largely splitting hairs, but I'm also in the USTF.

Anyway Teh Tot, the differences between the ITF and the WTF approaches have been hashed out a few hundred times in the forum. My generic (and automatically inaccurate because of groll generializing) summary would go about like this:

WTF tends to favor the instep on turning/round kicks. Looking at newer WTF books at Borders etc, it seems like they're also advocating its use over the ball of the foot in the front kick as well.

The kicks tend to be more sport oriented with an emphaisis on speed over power.

Evasion and/or counterhitting's strongly favored over blocking.

From what I've heard of WTF style workouts and the two workouts I've had under a WTF BB, they tend to spend more time on conditioning compared to a USTF workout that spends more time on developing technique with the belief that it's up to the student to condition on their own time.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW - Our school is basically WTF, bought I'm not sure how strongly. It's a small school and our instructor is 2nd Dan so anyone getting promoted to BB who wants the certification goes to a different school for a few months.

We favor instep kicks over ball of foot for roundhouse kicks. For front kicks (we call 'snap kick') the foot orientation depends on the target. Anything horizontal, like groin or bent over opponent, you use the instep. Anything vertical (chest, face, though) you use the ball.

Yes, we definately favor evasions and counterstikes over just blocking. Last night we practiced a lot with a spinning back kick as a defense against a rear-leg roundhouse, to get the opponent in the chest and stop the kick before it's fully around. A lot of times when we practice blocks it's more of a redirection or as part of a move and counterstrike. Often in sparring you do end up just blocking a strike, but that's more incidental than strategic.

We emphasize good technique and speed to gain power rather than leg strength. Power is important, but the way we seek to get power is through proper technique applied with speed.

And in conjunction with that, we don't do much conditioning in class. Almost all my conditioning is done outside of class. Class is more devoted to learning proper technique

A lot of it depends on the school/instructor, I suppose.

OP
T

Teh Tot

Thanks for the help. It should get me along just fine. I understand that different schools vary their teaching slightly, and that different instructors focus on different things. again, thank you

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
How long is your presentation supposed to be?

What is your audience? (i.e. high school, college, etc?)

Depending upon the above, if you decide you want to speak about TKD (versus the difference between WTF/ITF) you might demonstrate self-defense, breaking, one-steps, sparring.

If you want to make the presentation a WTF/ITF comparison, you might just focus on differences in sparring (i.e. point vs full-contact) which someone NOT interested in TKD might be able to see. I think if you demonstrate differences in poomsae/tuls or terminology most non-TKD folks would not understand or differentiate. Discussions about history might bore them too.

Good Luck!

Miles

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Yes, we definately favor evasions and counterstikes over just blocking. Last night we practiced a lot with a spinning back kick as a defense against a rear-leg roundhouse, to get the opponent in the chest and stop the kick before it's fully around. A lot of times when we practice blocks it's more of a redirection or as part of a move and counterstrike. Often in sparring you do end up just blocking a strike, but that's more incidental than strategic.

It's much harder to simply evade when you have to deal with punches aimed at your face.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well in my dealings the WTF focuses more on the sport of TKD, that being said the USA TKD which is the governing body for America sport aspect is only accepting the Tae Gueks forms this year and are going to emphasis the back as a point area where in the past it was not given much thought about. ITF is more into self defense one steps and proper fighting techniques,they are more app.to use all forms not just the one set. hand tech. are legal and awarded points for, for me they are more old school and focus more on the Art of TKD not just the sport aspect but if you have any hopes of making the Olympics team you need to be in the WTF. Know give me all the griff because I know some will be outrage so be it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
are going to emphasis the back as a point area where in the past it was not given much thought about

How much of the back? Do you mean like around the floating ribs/kidneys? All the wat to the spine? How about shoulders/shoulder blades/upper back?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
How much of the back? Do you mean like around the floating ribs/kidneys? All the wat to the spine? How about shoulders/shoulder blades/upper back?
Jay, the entire back except for the spinal column is now a legal scoring area.

Miles

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The entire back has always been a point area just no one used it now it is legal to pound that area it will also stop people from using there back as a shield!

OP
T

Teh Tot

FearlessFreep said:
Oh, ok...I'd always (always being like 3 mos :) ) sorta assumed that and had been thinking/working on of some moves to exploit that :)
hehe, I've been working on that too, but somtimes get called for turning my back. :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:

It's much harder to simply evade when you have to deal with punches aimed at your face.

I'm not sure I follow your intention?

I'm just saying that it's harder to let your upper body defense slide if you have to work harder to prevent attacks to your upper body. USTF sparring allows punches to the head etc, which makes it more difficult to simply evade. (Since punches are faster and you sacrifice less mobility while throwing a punch vs a kick and so on.)

Could be a terminology issue too. When I say block or defense, I'm not talking about a down block etc. I'm talking aobut keeping you hands up so that your target areas are protected. Blocking a kick just because my arms are up is not an incidental block. That's the whole point of keeping the hands up in the first place.

Latest Discussions