Tang Soo Do vs. TKD?

Discussion in 'Korean Martial Arts - General' started by Blue Panther, Feb 7, 2007.

1. KabutoKouji

KabutoKouji Green Belt

Thank you I did not know this - but the seperate Tul/Hyung they do are the 'Kukkiwon' patterns are they?

2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Poomsae competition that is sponsored by the WTF or that is intended to prepare people for that sort of competition will use the Taegeuk forms (for colored belts) and the KKW yudanja forms for Dan ranks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WaterGal

WaterGal Master Black Belt

Every school is different, of course, but in the TSD schools in my area, the focus is mostly on making money by teaching children how to kick sheets of paper and play dodgeball :D. But I've heard that TSD schools in other areas do more serious training, so YMMV.

KKW TKD does tend to have higher stances compared with other karate-derived styles, though, I think because of the heavier focus on kicking and striking sparring, which require more mobility. Many KKW TKD schools also do have a heavy focus on contact sparring, which I assume is what you mean by sport. From what I've been told by TSD practitioners in my area, they do little or no contact sparring, and if that's true generally, that's definitely a big difference.

4. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I know all places are different, and there are a lot of variables.
    I have Dan ranking in TKD from a while ago, and currently teach self defense classes in a TSD school. But, I don't know about differences or vs, I really don't, it's all Martial Arts. Seems so, anyway.

5. TKDFromDMV_Student

TKDFromDMV_Student Yellow Belt

I'm glad this topic was made. I'm interested in doing Tang Soo Do, sometime along the line and this thread helps me understand the differences between that and Taekwondo.