Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijustu

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Did I get the spelling right?

Anyway are there any good web resources on this school? Of all schools in the bujinkan that I have been exposed to, the essence and principles of this one seems to mesh with me the best. I am hoping to do more research here, so any insight would be helpful. Also, is this school practiced outside of the bujinkan as a seperate jujutsu ryu?

A related question, do higher level practitioners in the Bujinkan ever specialize in specific schools? I know that many specialize in specific weapons, or their own particular expression of taijustu.

Thanks.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KyleShort said:
Anyway are there any good web resources on this school?

I am not ignoring the above question, but I will let others that know more about what is on the internet answer it while I deal with those I can answer better.

KyleShort said:
Also, is this school practiced outside of the bujinkan as a seperate jujutsu ryu?

There is a related school in Japan that trains ONLY in that art. It is somewhat different in feeling, etc than what you probably have seen in the Bujinkan and it may not be your cup of tea.

KyleShort said:
A related question, do higher level practitioners in the Bujinkan ever specialize in specific schools?

Some people like certain schools like the Koto ryu and try to find out all they can about it if they can. But AFAIK, no one has a specific program under Japanese instructors for it. The Genbukan does, and Toshindo I think has specific ratings in specific schools, but not the mainline Bujinkan in Japan that I have heard of. Some teachers will teach all they know about a school to a student if they ask- but nothing formal.

OP
KyleShort

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Don...I was just curious if there were higher level guys that pay particular focus on a school because it jives well for them, or they seem to gravitate that way more. Like, such and such is a real master of koppojutsu etc.

In any case, I would not be interested in training in a different organization for TYR, since it is the Bujinkan way that interests me...I was just curious because there are so many flavors of jujutsu, and I seem to recall hearing TYR being termed jujutsu rather than taijutsu...or actually being described as both.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, Oguri has Menkyo Kaiden In the school. That means he knows everything there is to teach. He recieved it from Hatsumi. So if you want to learn the art, he would be the best person to see about it. But I think it would be best if you proved yourself as a good person over time before making requests of him. That may seem like common sense, but you should see some of the things I have over the years with the way some people treat people they want to learn from over here.

OP
KyleShort

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Heh, yeah I have MUCH to learn before I seek any form of specialization :) I just started training again in the Bujinkan and I like where I am at. Thanks for helping with my curiosity.

K

kenanderson

Mr. Short, this is a very good school, and hopefully you will be exposed to some aspects of it in your training. I'm in law enforcement and have seen the benefits of various aspects of this school as it relates to suspect management and control tactics. Having the tools to take the suspect down quickly, in close proximity to you, and being able to control the suspect while still keeping your hands free has been very helpful to me. This is especially true in situations where my backup was 5 minutes away.

- Ken Anderson

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a very high probability that you'll end up psychotic if you want to try to sort out all of the branches of the Kuki/Yoshin-related styles...:anic:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
There's a very high probability that you'll end up psychotic if you want to try to sort out all of the branches of the Kuki/Yoshin-related styles...:anic:
But... what if I started that way...

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"But... what if I started that way..."

Then you'll probably go sane, and you definitely don't want that!

I really like TYR too, but anytime I try to think of what ryu I like the best, I can never decide. They are all so cool!

OP
KyleShort

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Total tangent here but I thought I would run it buy you folks...

I have started training again after taking 4 years off. I have only attended one class and this is with a different instructor than I trained with previously. For my second class the instructor asked that I show up with my gi...now my question is this.

To wear a gi I need a belt...my intention is to show up in a white belt because I have never trained under this instructor before, and it has been a long time since I trained so most of the techniques have been forgotten. However in my previous training I achieved 5th kyu under a licensed shidoshi. There is no relationship between my old instructor and this one.

Would it somehow be dissrespectful to show up in a white belt? I almost think it would be wrong to expect this new instrucor to accept my previous rank. I want him to give me whatever he thinks I should be, and I am very willing to start from the beginning. Should I just not show up with one at all and ask him to give me whatever he sees fit?

Thanks.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking for myself......

If I did not have a rank certificate from Hatsumi (as most kyu ranks like yourself do not) I would think that your idea of starting from scratch is a very polite, respectfull way of approaching the situation. So showing up as a white belt is not only acceptable, but a show of your good intention and attitude.

Of course, I am considered an uncouth ogre by some.......... :shrug:

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Speaking for myself......

If I did not have a rank certificate from Hatsumi (as most kyu ranks like yourself do not) I would think that your idea of starting from scratch is a very polite, respectfull way of approaching the situation. So showing up as a white belt is not only acceptable, but a show of your good intention and attitude.

Of course, I am considered an uncouth ogre by some.......... :shrug:

I'm with the uncouth ogre on this one.

My own policy is that if someone moves into the area who previously trained with someone somewhere else, I'll accept their rank without question if they have a menkyo from the Hombu.

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever NOT accepted someone's stated rank even if they can't produce a menkyo. Further ranks beyond that point, however, will be awarded according to my own standards. (Unless the student is either uninterested in rank, or is able to see his old teacher often enough -- or is just here for, say, a few months -- that he prefers to continue to be graded by his/her old teacher. I've had both situations.) And my students down to kyu level do get menkyo and annual Booj membership cards from Japan, which seems to be a comparatively rare thing.

Kyle, you can't go wrong showing up in a white belt as a matter of courtesy. If Miki thinks you should wear a green one, I imagine he'll be happy to tell you so.

My

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(Unless the student is either uninterested in rank, or is able to see his old teacher often enough -- or is just here for, say, a few months -- that he prefers to continue to be graded by his/her old teacher. I've had both situations.)
thats me, in a way. its not that I'm not interested i rank, its just that I never bother with it. I have about 50 hours of in-dojo training from two different booj schools, and several 8 hour seminars, under my white belt, but I never have liked rank testing.

When I did Aikido, I went for aboot 2 years, roughly 3-8 hours a week, and watched 5 or 6 people start after me and pass me up in rank.

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Many teachers will want to watch you for awhile even if they have seen your kyu rank certificate. Most will tell you where you are in accordance with their practices and then tell you that after you catch up you can test again or they will award you with a new rank. I would prefer that a person be up front with me, and ask what I would want them to do. I personally honor someones certificate if it is brought to my attention, That certificate has Sensei's stamp on it, who am I to question it.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountain Kusa said:
I personally honor someones certificate if it is brought to my attention, That certificate has Sensei's stamp on it, who am I to question it.

That is how I feel, except that most kyu ranks do not bother to get certificates from Hatsumi. Technopunk does not AFAIK.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
. Technopunk does not AFAIK.
This is mostly true.

I have some. I am missing some. I have the option to get them. We do get the yearly cards from Hatsumi Sensei.

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don,

This is something new to me. All the teachers I have been under got them for us, and, we paid for them. All of my people get them. Is this due to the teacher or the student?

What is an AFAIK?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
An AFAIK is an As Far As I Know.

And the only ranking diploma I have in my possession right now is for 4th kyu.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountain Kusa said:
All the teachers I have been under got them for us, and, we paid for them. All of my people get them. Is this due to the teacher or the student?

I know of a few dojos that can only get certificates about once a year or so from Japan. In that time, a ninth kyu could go up to sixth fairly easily. So they will get the certificates if asked, but do not reccomend them until about dan level.

A while back, I reccomended that Technopunk not worry about getting a certificate from Japan for that reason.

Latest Discussions