Tai Chi and Grappling Defense

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know what was up with the big judo guy - he didn't behave the way a smart judo player would if he was trying to win. He made no attempt to fight for superior grips or positioning. Instead he just voluntarily went into a symmetric clinch with the tai chi practitioner and tried to force a throw using his size. I don't know if the producers of the show arranged that or if he just thought he could rely on size instead of technique.
IMO, it's strategy, strategy, and still strategy.

Since both Taiji guy and Judo guy all have good listening ability. To let your opponent to be able to sense your intention is not a smart strategy. If he uses the strategy as showing in the following clip by keep breaking his opponent's contact points. If his opponent wants to get back into clinch, he has to do something. You can then take advantage on that commitment.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that I'm not properly embedding youtube videos so:

(1) Here's the link to the Tai Chi Martial Artist vs. the Luta Livre Martial Artist referenced in my previous post:

Versus : Taiji vs Luta - YouTube

(2) Here's another interesting video showing a Tai Chi martial artist VS. a Judo martial artist. It's called "Tai Chi Master Wang Zhanhai vs. Judo":

Tai Chi Master Wang Zhanhai vs Judo - YouTube

What do you guys think of these videos in the context of this thread?

I watched a bit of the first one and taichi guy is making some technical mistakes that are pretty common because they feel intuitive. I will have a beer look when I have more time.

hunyuan24

White Belt
Reaction score
A correctly executed double-leg in a fighting context does not expose the back of the neck for an effective strike. That doesn't make the strikes you are talking about useless - in the heat of combat a fighter may very well attempt a sloppy takedown attempt which leaves his spine exposed. It can be difficult to take advantage of such sloppiness, however. For many years, such downwards attacks on an opponents neck were perfectly legal in MMA. Even so, you almost never saw anyone successfully defend a takedown that way.

I think you are right. The theoretical defense technique is there, but it still takes practice and skills to lure an opponent into overextending and exposing his vulnerable points. That's the tricky part.

Thanks for your answer on this.

Latest Discussions