taguks

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't do Taegeuks at all. We do Palgue from yellow to Dan, and then the Koryo forms. But our Instructor practiced in Korea while the Palgues were still in use there.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we don't do the Palgwe's at all. Our instructor said they were pretty simple--?? Anybody want to describe them? We do the Taeguek's and then after black belt 1st, the ITF forms to get to 2nd. TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
TigerWoman said:
Well, we don't do the Palgwe's at all. Our instructor said they were pretty simple--?? Anybody want to describe them? We do the Taeguek's and then after black belt 1st, the ITF forms to get to 2nd. TW

Good 'ol Master Mac has links to videos of both the Palgwes and Taegeuks on his page here: http://mchenry.homeip.net/TangSooDo/forms/index.htm

It's a pretty handy site he's got there, since it also links to ITF forms, and the older traditional forms. (This link has also probably been posted on MT a couple hundred times now, but oh well, what's a couple hundred more? :) )

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Zepp,
They aren't "simple" just different. Kind of like Taegueks though. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
That's probably because the Palgwe series is a reworking of the older Pyong-an/Pinan series that was brought to Korea from the old Kwan founders who studied Karate in Japan. Mostly the same techniques and movements, but broken apart a bit more and spread across 8 forms instead of 5.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to phase out the Palgwe's. There's a lot of practical applications that can be pulled out them. (Doesn't affect me though, since I'm not WTF-trained. :D)
Actually, the reason the Palgwe series was replaced by the Taeguek series is that there were 2 kwans-Moo Duk Kwan and Jidokwan which were not involved in their creation. The entire history of Kukkiwon Taekwondo is marked by the collaborative effort of the Kwans and their leaders (Kwan Jang). When those two Kwans came back into the fold, so to speak, the Taeguek series was developed.

Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
We don't do Taegeuks at all. We do Palgue from yellow to Dan, and then the Koryo forms. But our Instructor practiced in Korea while the Palgues were still in use there.

My Instructor learned the Pyung-Ahn/Passai hyung, etc. before the Palgwe series was created. But, he has tried to keep up with the changes so he teaches the Taegueks.

MichiganTKD, this could be a golden opportunity for you to differentiate yourself amongst your fellow instructors by learning the Taegueks. Perhaps it is a test?

Miles

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
In most martial styles the forms,katas,movements,and so on, is all a part of the art for your system. Anything new will always be a little difficult at first, one way is to practice what you know of the form ,is to practice every day at least 10 times,by the end of the week,you will have done it 100 times, Our first kata (Kempo kata One) seems so hard with so many turns and things to remember...Whew? Today it is my favorite kata! Just practice it. If this stuffs we are learning is not new...why do we need to practice it? Learning is an endless void....never ever ending....no matter how many times you cut the grass, it nevers stops growing...hope you knowledge never stop either. Keep your yard(mind) growing. If was easy....? oh well , Try you hardest...looking back you will see it really was not hard to learn. Aloha from Hawaii

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind learning the Palgwe's. A little bit different approach and besides, I like forms. Most of the moves individually look the same but seem to be in a different order and I saw a few ITF moves-spin and twin blocks. Didn't look at the whole series. Nice to see it in the video though. TW