Taekwondo stay in Olympics 2020!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
So sad that because someone does a sport it is assumed that that is all they can do. Maybe I need to put up clips of my son doing MMA in class and putting people in arm bars and or triangles. Maybe if I put up clips of class when we do boxing or even simple poomsae then some will understand, sport is sport and that is it. We have SD classes only that all black belts must attend. How thick do some have to be to understand that just because you do and like the sport, does not mean that you don't do and also love the art or arts for that matter. All I can do is shake my head. -___- and sigh.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
do i have to put you on ignore? because i will.

i dont like a thing, you worship that thing, that leads you to take my opinions about that thing personally, but it isnt, and you are wrong to respond with personal insults,

please refrain, or if you cant control yourself, put me on ignore

Whatever...your insults are thinnly veiled and transparent!!!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Notice

There's been a number of reports here concerning members who know better. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we insist that they are shared respectfully. Because we all have different opinions, and because it is not the job of this sites moderation team to censor opinions that offend others, we have the "ignore" function. We strongly insist that those viewing contrary opinions that bother them use it, or learn to filter. We also insist that those who wish to share contrary opinions do so without slights, insults or snipes.

Any continues off topic exchanges will be infracted accordingly. Take your differences private or use the site tools provided.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trouble is that's what they have done with a number of sports like Judo and TKD and changed it for the worse.
Agreed, 100%. TKD has decided to make the sport "flashier" by rewarding head and spinning kicks with more points.
Making a sport more TV friendly is challenging, and it is very difficult to do without sacrificing some measure of the sport's consistency. The people you are trying to appeal to are often uneducated about the sport to begin with (those educated in the sport don't need the changes), and are unlikely appreciate the change anyway.

I do think that the rewarding spin kicks and head kicks with more points goes beyond television viewership, howerver. From what I understand, the adoption of electric hogu has made lower kicks and body punches more popular. Rewarding the more difficult maneuver offers incentive without monkeying with the gear and without making radical changes to the sport itself. It also reflects the Korean preference for high kicking.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is a open tourny group in texas that gives 1 point for punch, 2 points for kick, 3 points for head kick. it works, but the thing is, you cant score if you fall down throwing the technique.....

Latest Discussions