Taekwondo sparring vid.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punches have always been part of WTF TKD just nobody uses them anymoreif you move your opponet or change there direction with a punch to the boy it is a point in WTF TKD.

As far as blocking goes, a kick will always generate more power than a block can and the force can brake bones, we block to advert the opponets direction not to become that direction.

Terry

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini, I think what country you are in will dictate what is legal and what is not. Im in Asia, Ive seen plenty of people block in WTF style and its still counted as a point. Ya I know its supposed to be the same worldwide.... but it is not.

BigNick, same. Over here punching is totally not counted, if you knock him down with a punch to his gut and he doesn't get up... you are given a FOUL! You dont win!

I think you guys are blocking differently like I tried to explain, arm reaching out to meet kick will get broken... but why the frik is that arm reaching out?! Ive been going to tournaments for 15 years, Ive trained in 5 countries... Ive never heard of this arm breaking stuff except for one horror story to scare the kiddies when I was a white belt. Again though, if all WTF'rs when they block are reaching out than I can see why this might be a more than super rare occurence, improper blocking will cause injuries.

Punching to the face IS legal, at least in my federation. Yes I know we are talking about sport style, just reminding you there is a world of fists in the face fun just wating for TKDists to try!

Anyway, I agree with everything, you guys spar a certain way because that is how the sport evolved given your particular rule set, I know this, but..... I do think blocking should be trained more by you guys. Proper safe blocking as a reflex not a "wait and see" which would be too late. I see hundreds of points landed on WTF'rs because their hands are not where I feel they should be. But if the judges are counting blocks as points anyway than what would the point be in changing.

QUESTION ABOUT WTF UNIFORMS: Does the red and black trim around the neck represent junior black belt or NOT? 'Cause here in Asia white belts are wearing those uniforms because they are prettier. Freaks me out and I want to tear their uniform off, but is that just the norm these days?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
because, like i have posted in another thread, it is a bad habit developed from over concentration of the sport aspect of TKD.
it is also the same reason why i hate watching this type of sparring now.
it is also why i will not watch TKD in the olympics
it is also why i got bloody lips during so many crosstraining bouts.
it is also why the TKD fighters that sparred in our school experienced the same if not worse experience i had.
it is also why Olympic TKD has recieved a bad name to many in the martial arts community.

Ahhh actually if your quick enough you dont have to block your head, i RARELY get hit in the head, and if i do it was because of my mistake. TKD teaches you how to evade more then block. But I will block if i cant move.

Btw Arm breaks are crazy at tournaments, go to the Junior Olympics, over 20 people got their arms broken, a few dislocations...which is why i prefer to evade.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damian Mavis said:
QUESTION ABOUT WTF UNIFORMS: Does the red and black trim around the neck represent junior black belt or NOT? 'Cause here in Asia white belts are wearing those uniforms because they are prettier. Freaks me out and I want to tear their uniform off, but is that just the norm these days?
Yes, red and black trim at one time was reserved for a poom (junior black belt), but more schools nowdays issue them for pre-black belts and yes, even sometimes, to everyone just because they're prettier. Colored uniforms are also turning up more and more in an art that used to be exclusively white.

Nick, I've heard from several sources (initially from Terry) that this was going to be the case, but I still haven't seen evidence of it. Maybe on the east coast, they're just slow to recognize the change. Feels kind of strange calling it a change given that's always supposed to have been the rule anyway.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Nick, I've heard from several sources (initially from Terry) that this was going to be the case, but I still haven't seen evidence of it. Maybe on the east coast, they're just slow to recognize the change. Feels kind of strange calling it a change given that's always supposed to have been the rule anyway.

I'm not much into competition but from what I've been hearing from the Jr. Nationals, Nationals, Regionals, etc...is that it is really being enforced...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
because, like i have posted in another thread, it is a bad habit developed from over concentration of the sport aspect of TKD.

Quoted for truth.

As far as I'm concerned, tennis is more of a 'combat sport' than the olympic TKD. It's been far too abstracted, and had far too many of TKDs 'other' techniques screened out in the name of diversity and difference. I would be happier if they adopted a ten point must scoring system, and incorporated knees, elbows, basic joint manipulation, and legalised punches to the face and head.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, tennis is more of a 'combat sport' than the olympic TKD. It's been far too abstracted, and had far too many of TKDs 'other' techniques screened out in the name of diversity and difference. I would be happier if they adopted a ten point must scoring system, and incorporated knees, elbows, basic joint manipulation, and legalised punches to the face and head.

Heck, I would be happy if they allowed punches to the head and removed the chest protector.

I bet then competitor's body punches would force a "trembling" shock, and thus be scored, and competitors would be forced to keep their hands up. If nothing else the lack of a chest protector would force competitors to keep their hands up to at least shoulder level. Those kicks hurt when you don't have a body shield.

Yes, red and black trim at one time was reserved for a poom (junior black belt), but more schools nowdays issue them for pre-black belts and yes, even sometimes, to everyone just because they're prettier. Colored uniforms are also turning up more and more in an art that used to be exclusively white.

The ATA uses the red/black trim to show that a black belt is an assistant instructor of some sort. I remember walking into another TKD school and having a number of the black belts looking at me funny. I was a 22 year old wearing junior black belt trim. Always interesting do see the differences between the different styles of TKD.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll be honest, a lot of this is one reason I asked the question last wek about MMA matches for 'old amateurs' like me, simply to test out my TKD (and some BJJ) against a variety of attacks and not be constrained to the TKD rules that tend to impact how 'fighting; is done

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Ahhh actually if your quick enough you dont have to block your head, i RARELY get hit in the head, and if i do it was because of my mistake. TKD teaches you how to evade more then block. But I will block if i cant move.

Btw Arm breaks are crazy at tournaments, go to the Junior Olympics, over 20 people got their arms broken, a few dislocations...which is why i prefer to evade.

really? you can evade a full force punch to the face by an educated, experienced boxer? or another TKD practiconer. there is a difference.

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
really? you can evade a full force punch to the face by an educated, experienced boxer? or another TKD practiconer. there is a difference.

Taekwondo teaches me how to evade an attack, there is no dif between evading a kick and a punch. I've been in fights where i've dodged blows, but also took blows, you can never be good enough to dodge every blow.
Some blows i could easily evade from a *boxer* some i cant...can you evade/block every kick i can throw?

Laborm

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Taekwondo teaches me how to evade an attack, there is no dif between evading a kick and a punch.

Except that a correctly thrown and trained punch is way faster, and it doesn't comprimise the puncher's base like a kick does etc.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Indeed. In fact, by the time your eye relays the information to your brain, your brain process that information and sends impulses to your muscles to evade the incoming punch, you'll get tagged by a well thrown punch.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Heck, I would be happy if they allowed punches to the head and removed the chest protector."

Ahhhhh, son, sounds like you want to come over to the dark side. There is a fantastical realm were we do just as you want, its called the ITF and its a wondrous magical place of punches to the face and no chest protectors and we all go tra la la ing around while holding hands. I get a lump in my throat just typing about it. heh.

I talked to my WTF instructor friend and he told me there were a fair number of arm breaks and that they do indeed come from improper blocking. So like I said, just think WTF should teach some better blocking.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Taekwondo teaches me how to evade an attack, there is no dif between evading a kick and a punch. I've been in fights where i've dodged blows, but also took blows, you can never be good enough to dodge every blow.
Some blows i could easily evade from a *boxer* some i cant...can you evade/block every kick i can throw?

Laborm

Laborm, "there is no dif between evading a kick and a punch" ??? i strongly suggest you crosstrain in a ring art. boxing, mma, muay thai. believe me, you will keep your hands up, or the other guy will do his absolute best to try to knock you out for disrespecting him for not putting those hands up.
why? it is possible for people to dodge and for people to keep their hands up.
- the fastest guy in K1 will have his hands up. if fight anyone that keeps their hands down, you better believe im gonna go for a clinch and throw some elbows/punches to any open spot you leave me.

oh yea, another thing, having your hands held wide out during a clinch isnt a very smart thing to do either.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, we could argue all day about what works where and never come to an agreement. It's apples and oranges. This topic is a vid showing WTF style sparring. Saying it wouldn't work here or there is irrelevant to anything. Let's keep it on topic, please.

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You guys make sense, really you do. No im not well experienced with punches, i just find it easy to see a punch comming, so normally i can react quick enough. That's why i said there's no dif. But i didn't put this video up for people to criticize and point out the bad in taekwondo.

Doesn't really matter if you block right your not in some cases, i mean try blocking one of the many hard hitters in tkd. Like i said i dont usually block, im just not there to get hit.

Laborm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sheesh..... ok Laborn... you gotta stop saying things that make me cringe. Do you guys even check the profiles of your fellow posters? Im a 4th dan black belt instructor in TKD... did you think I had never tried blocking a hard hitter in TKD?! Not only that but I did mention I fight full contact in the ring in Thailand and hard spar against professional fighters. Ya, Ive been hit uhm... a little bit hard maybe. Im being silly with my sarcasm and I realise that I need to stop posting on threads like this...... Peoples opinions are based on their experiences no matter how limitted, and if 2 people arent of the same experience than the opinions will always clash.

Gemini is right MMA Kid, in reference to what works in WTF sparring you cant really argue. And your comment on clinching didnt make a lick of sense.... the reason they have their arms out like that when they hug is because that is their rule set. They arent allowed to do anything else! Your comment was like criticising western boxing as it compares to muay thai and saying thier stance isnt very smart... but the boxing stance is completely smart as it pertains to boxings rule set. Just because in muay thai their stance would land them on their back has nothing to do with the boxing stances effectiveness in its own domain.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to have disrespected you, i didn't mean to at all. I'm just saying in MY exp. but this is as you said silly to argue about, sorry guys i wont post another video heh.

Laborm.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the many problem with everybody post on this matter is there experiences and what rules we play by.

Let me help everyone here the VIDs are about Olympics style sparring the comments should stay to the subject at hand and not about other styles.

Last bit of info. for the Olympic game here, one main reason to keep your arms out in the clucth of there's is to stop the outside in kick to the head while they are together with arm out they are a shield against that attack.

The kicks where great for what it was accept that and accept that it is Olympic style.

Your TKD brother
Terry

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No no I didnt feel disrespected, just unappreciated waaaaa haha. And dont stop posting cool videos, as TKDists we will always have arguments with other martial arts practitioners. We are the biggest and most visible, we have dojangs EVERYWHERE, we garner jealousy due to our popularity and criticism based on the fact that 80% of our practitioners are little kids and middle age parents.... not exactly an impressive representation.

We are as guilty as our critics though. We are often just as closed minded and just as unable to accept other martial arts into our lives. My greatest advice to TKDists is to never stop TKD but to supplement it with other fun interesting martial arts that also appeal to you.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD