Taekwondo Self-defense

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's solid standard material. Looks like the ukes all went to the same "grunt 'n groan" school of martial theatrics. Either that or the demonstrators need a collective steel-toed boot to the goolies for habitually ignoring the tap out.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We actually learned most of these techniques in self defense class this week, definitely very solid.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looked pretty standard to me, too, in regards to what I learned and what I teach.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fairly typical for Hapkido (or what I've run into in Tae Kwon Do classes that teach wrist escapes).

Tried it on my son and... it can work

I'm trying to build up my repertoire of hoshinsul and one-step techniques so... another one for the catalog (now thinking about how to adapt it for cross side grabs, etc... hmmm..now that I think about it...I've done something similar for a cross side shoulder grab)

I would modify it with some sorta strike early on. A couple general rules I try to follow is:
1) If you have one hand on me, you have one hand free. Therefore, I need to address that threat of that other hand
a) if my escape technique involves only using one hand, my other hand can be addressing the threat of your other hand as well (such as blocking my face form a punch).
b) If my escape technique uses both of my hands, I need to get you distracted to short-circuit your response (basically get a head of you and get you reacting to what I just did rather than what I'm doing)

This, to me, is important because if you grab me, you're not just going to stand there with a free hand while I start to work my escape with both hands.

So, for the above technique, given the positioning, I would at very least start with a punch to the midsection with the left hand before moving my left hand over for the release. One other good possibility would be a low swing kick* to the opponents shin or knee with my left leg as I was turning my shoulders/hips to put my left hand over the opponents grabbing hand.

*low sing kick is a low kick by swing the lower part of the leg across the striking target. The striking edge is the blade edge of the foot and it drags across the target rather than directly into the target. Good as a quick setup for some pain distraction of you are shifting your stance while setting up your counter.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
???

I don't understand why somebody posted this on youtube as Taekwondo self defense.

The instructor demonstrating is from a Hapkido organization. The Korean introduction to the clip mentions Hapkido and a Hapkido organization. The instructor refers to Hapkido wrist techniques in the clip.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a bad demo. Pretty straight forward with good basic techniques

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy who keeps hitting the floor has to be thinking "the stuff you have to put up with to get that 2nd Dan!" :lol:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's always one student who gets to be the guinea pig for the Instructor's self defense demos, either because he has a good body for what is to shown, or he is a good actor.
My instructor told me years ago that he got to be the victim for our GM's demonstration of karate guys who defend against Taekwondo high kicks with groin kicks. He was told to high roundhouse kick, whereupon our GM countered with a perfect groin kick. Not hard enough to damage, but certainly hard enough to let you know what happened, and it hurt as much as you would expect.
He was told to do it again. This time, to try to protect that area, his roundhouse was more like a crescent kick. The GM got really angry that he was throwing poor technique and made him do it again, properly this time.

Latest Discussions