Taekwondo Doesn't work on someone skilled

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but here it doesn't matter. If the martial art in question believes self defence is not fighting and focuses on self defence their fighting is going to suffer.
If the martial art in question believes self defence IS fighting and focuses on fighting their self defense will suffer.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the martial art in question believes self defence IS fighting and focuses on fighting their self defense will suffer.

Also correct. If they believe self defence and fighting are two different things.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I still think taekwondo is useful one thing for sure is its an amazing self mastery to move off the ground and volley kicks in mid air even though you might not use all the kicks.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still think taekwondo is useful one thing for sure is its an amazing self mastery to move off the ground and volley kicks in mid air even though you might not use all the kicks.

Yeah. It depends on how you use it. If you want to fly impressive kicks at people in a multi style engagement you can't stand and trade. You have to develop an elusive game to take advantage. Machida is generally the example used.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does taekwondo have an internal energy building side to it like chinese arts

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TKD wouldn't be my first recommendation for self-defence, but frankly, most traditional martial arts training won't prepare somebody very well for a real altercation. (There can always exceptions, to be sure.)

That being said, not long ago, I watched some Youtube videos of real situations, and, lo and behold, I witnessed some advanced TKD practitioners accomplishing one-hit knock-outs by a kick - even spinning and jumping ones! Okay, they were not facing highly skilled opponents - aggressors on the street usually aren't. Anyway, I was reminded that there are just no absolutes in combat. Or anywhere else, for that matter...

Last edited:

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you learn takewondo along a heavy punching art like boxing maybe a good change between the to arts in a fight

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you apply TKD "flying side kick", use your whole body weight to drop "45 degree down" on your opponent's leading knee joint, it can be a very effective and scary "entering strategy". It will put your opponent in defense mode right at that moment.

Last edited:

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting@wang im not sure of what kicks they have by name but that sounds dangerous does anyone know if they have an internal side like chinese arts or even sanchin from karate

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Perfectly put..tbh in self defence or in a fight we have to carry both principles defensive and attacking

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When someone tries to hurt your family member and you try to hurt that person in order to save your family member, there won't be any difference between "self-defense" and "fighting".

Wont be a difference between self defence and gbh.

Fight avoidace awarness and deescalation is a conveniently complicated enough skill that you have to teach it. But simple enough that the teacher never had to actually do it. And also conveniently has not test of objectives unless i find someone who actually wants to hurt me.

And so removes the need to prove that a system has any merit at all.

So where i could go to your school and actually wrestle you or one of your guys and just see. If a school has this self defence nonsense i cant. And again conveniently. Because then that school can function without courting loss.

This whole self defence thing seens to be self defence against having your ego damaged.

Ruhaani

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very good point to talk about..in my karate school we wasnt aloud to spar which I didnt like the teacher said it was for legal reasons just in case..but your point is a good one kinda classic where you go into a dojo and test out the school is a great idea if I understood you correctly lol

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very good point to talk about..in my karate school we wasnt aloud to spar which I didnt like the teacher said it was for legal reasons

1eo083.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very good point to talk about..in my karate school we wasnt aloud to spar which I didnt like the teacher said it was for legal reasons just in case..but your point is a good one kinda classic where you go into a dojo and test out the school is a great idea if I understood you correctly lol

Sort of. If the guy was 80 but had trained a bunch of top fighters. I am not going to scrap with the guy.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree. Taekwondo is not a self defense fighting art. It's basically a kids after school baby sitting service for parents.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you apply TKD "flying side kick", use your whole body weight to drop "45 degree down" on your opponent's leading knee joint, it can be a very effective and scary "entering strategy". It will put your opponent in defense mode right at that moment.

A downward kick would be better than a flying side kick. Kicks in the air mean no root, but at least a kick as you described means that gravity is helping to add to the force so it's not just the kick but the weight of the body plus gravity.

Latest Discussions