Taegeuk - line of patterns

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

First see video and enjoy special effects.

The trigram corresponding to each Taegeuk pattern determines whether we step forward or not with each technique in the pattern (at least the ones that travel along the lines). Along Yang lines, we step forward with more committed techniques. Along Uhm lines, we don't step forward, and we use more balanced, defensive and conservative techniques.

I'm not sure there's any theory behind the number of steps we take to get from one line to the next. Does anyone know any different?

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if not!

Thanks
Gnarlie

Last edited by a moderator:

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Will do some more looking into. But I have a back ground in Tai Chi as well and interesting connection making with Ba Gua and Tae Kwon Do

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The trigram corresponding to each Taegeuk pattern determines whether we step forward or not with each technique in the pattern (at least the ones that travel along the lines).

One of my moments of personal pride was back when I was a 7th gup and figured that out on my own. I noticed that each of the three Taegeuk forms I had learned had three horizontal bars. I went over them in my head and realized that some bars have full steps east/west and some don't (that is, you have one foot in each half bar that touches the floor only at the center line). I was in class facing the Korean flag one day and it hit me that the eight trigrams might be hidden in the designs, so I looked up the movements for the other five forms in the series and discovered that, yes indeed, each one has a unique combination of stepped and unstepped bars.

My theory was then confirmed when I later came across a list of trigrams and their meanings, and I recognized that the meanings were the same as the ones we learned associated with our forms. I mentioned this on our school's mailing list (at the risk of being admonished for studying the patterns of forms I hadn't yet been given), and one of the instructors filled in some more information for me.

I'm not sure there's any theory behind the number of steps we take to get from one line to the next. Does anyone know any different?

I haven't found (or learned of) any pattern to the number or length of the steps. However, the vertical (north/south) movements are designed so that the distance between the bars within a given form will be equal and also so that the total motion north/forward will equal the south/backward motion when the stances and pivots are executed correctly (so that one starts and finishes in the exact same spot).

Something I was wondering about earlier today, though, is whether there is meaning behind the sequence in which the bars are made. (Taegeuks 1, 2, 3, 6, & 7 go Bottom-Middle-Top, 4 & 5 go B-T-M, and 8 goes M-T-B).

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Growing up in the ranks I grew up on the Palgwe sets and just the past two years been learning the Tae Guks (completed number 6 tonight I might add) So starting to understand the philosophy behind it. Now here is one to throw you for a loop. Not only there are the Palgwe's and Tae Guks but there are also the Hyungs. Which to my knowledge represents the 24 hours of the day. So where do they fit in. Historically the Hyungs where first, Palgwe's second and Tae Guk third in the development in the forms.........

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had thought that the order of the trigrams represented by the Taegeuk series was a somewhat inelegant modification of a nice circular arrangement (where each trigram would be the um/yang inverse of the one across from it) in order so that "all-um" and "all-yang" can be at opposite ends of the line (instead of being four steps from one another).

But then I was scribbling out the Taegeuk trigrams the other day and discovered that they do have an elegant, sequential ordering afterall.

The Taegeuks are ordered such that
(looking at them as 1-8)
the top bars are + - + - + - + - (um/yang changes on each)
the middle bars are + + - - + + - - (um/yang changes in sets of two)
the bottom bars are + + + + - - - - (um/yang changes in sets of four)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I though "Hyung" was just another synonym for form, pattern, poomsae, etc.

It is. I suspect he means the Chang Hon tul (which is another way of saying form) developed under the ITFs General Choi.

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had thought that the order of the trigrams represented by the Taegeuk series was a somewhat inelegant modification of a nice circular arrangement (where each trigram would be the um/yang inverse of the one across from it) in order so that "all-um" and "all-yang" can be at opposite ends of the line (instead of being four steps from one another).

But then I was scribbling out the Taegeuk trigrams the other day and discovered that they do have an elegant, sequential ordering afterall.

The Taegeuks are ordered such that
(looking at them as 1-8)
the top bars are + - + - + - + - (um/yang changes on each)
the middle bars are + + - - + + - - (um/yang changes in sets of two)
the bottom bars are + + + + - - - - (um/yang changes in sets of four)

It's just like binary numbers. Three digits in binary allow up to 8 numbers, those three digits are made out of 0s and 1s, in this case, Yin and Yang bars. In binary, 000 is 0, 111 is 7 and you increment 1s as you go (000, 001, 010...). Same with the trigrams. :)

Latest Discussions