Tackling the Tackle 2

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This article was dicussed in a previous section, upon sending your opinions to the author Sifu David, he replied the following.

The article that has come under discussion was in fact NOT written as an​
article, but was originally a post on a forum some years ago in response to
a thread about how to deal with grapplers using the Wing Chun Method. Sifu Rene Ritchie, webmaster at wingchunkuen.com, liked my post so much that he turned it into an "article" and placed it on his site. I can fully
understand that it might come in for criticism, but it was NEVER intended as a definitive view of how to deal with the grappler, merely my views on SOME concepts/techniques in the WSL Method that have been successfully applied by my students and I in our own experiences. Of course, there are many other factors to be taken into account, but on a basic level, what I have described does indeed work if applied appropriately. I noticed that one critic "attacked" me for my "observations" of the UFC, neglecting to read carefully enough to note that I also mentioned my experiences with grapplers, INCLUDING training in the Gracie Method (including an all-day seminar in Australia with two of the Gracie Family!!!) - I at no time said that I was an expert of the grappling arts, nor did I say that I felt my methods superior; I merely commented on ideas that I had trained and applied successfully in my own training against such attacks that can be derived
from the 'Baat Jaam Do' footwork. Of course there are other factors to
consider, including the use of the hands and the strategies required to
follow-up, attack, maintain control and/or escape, so it is hardly fair to
be dismissed as some kind of "dreamer" whose never done the work. I have in fact been a practising martial artist for over 30 years and have been
exposed to many systems of combat, fought both in and out of the ring, and
survived one or two rather nasty street encounters, so I am not just an
"armchair expert" commenting blindly on the subject. I accept that I do not
have all the answers and am pleased to join in debates and training to learn
even more for my own development, and that of my students. I guess my main
point is that I welcome the debate and expect the disagreement, but based on
the fact that it was not presented as the "definitive article" on the
subject, am disappointed that some, who clearly do not know of me, my Sifu
or our methods, are so quick to condemn me out of hand. In any case, I thank
you for alerting me to the forum concerned and hope that you found something
of use in what I had to offer. Perhaps you might consider pointing out some
of my views on the forum as I am not a member and don't really have the time