Suzanne Luna Spezzano

Bobbe

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know her personally, but her reputation proceeds her. I have her Majapahit Silat DVDs, and they're very good. There's a lot of Harimau style work in it, which seems to be all the rage these days. It's one of the reasons I don't post much Harimau on Youtube, everyone else and their brother is doing it, so I concentrate on other systems. However, she covers several all-important exercises and stretches for this kind of martial art, the same ones I do in fact (fundamentally, we come from similar styles, and we both have Inosanto influence - her more than me) and I was happy to see her showing them.

As far as the quality of technique goes, Guru Suzanne is clearly knowledgeable and the DVDs reflect this. She does things methodically and explains the inner workings of the techniques. She's also a student of Pendekar Seven Benitez. In my professional opinion, I prefer her work to Steven Benitez's videos. Not that Pendekar Benitez is bad, but my preference is toward Suzanne for her methods and rationale.

This is an INTRODUCTION to Silat, however, so you get a smörgåsbord of variation. It's not a step-by-step guide, so if you're an absolute beginner I would suggest these DVD's might be a bit advanced for you to understand how to make the technique work. But I can recommend them without reservation. If you get her DVD set, you won't be disappointed.

...And to think, I'm not even on her payroll. :jaw-dropping:

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WOW!

All the links I posted in the last 24 hrs seem to be Martin Luther King Jr.

Here's the clip for Suzanne Luna Spezzano.

INTRODUCTION TO MADJAPAHIT SILAT

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just finished watching her DVD.

She is very easy to understand.

The demos are clean.

The DVD menu is easy to use.

I enjoyed the variations of ground and standing techniques from evading to striking.

The moves are similar to the ones I am currently studying in Los Angeles.

My favorite parts are working with a partner throwing multiple strikes instead of the just one or two hits then stops. I'm looking forward to applying some of her techniques when I spar again.

This is definitely a beginner tape, but it's nice to hear the same information from a different point of view.

Good recommendation! Got any others? hehe

Bobbe

White Belt
Reaction score
You should get the Edmonds Martial Arts Academy training series!

....Ummm, as soon as I stop drinking and film them! :drinkbeer

Latest Discussions