Stuck in a rut.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

The best part about it is that I just finished giving Seig and Richardo crap about the exact same thing on another post and then I was guilty myself. Anyone on the outside lookin in wouldn't realize that we're friends and that your not like that at all...sorry.

jb:asian:

YOU MEAN, THE GOLDENDRAGON DISSED ME?

That's normal, I'm his puching bag.:shrug:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm his puching bag
That happens huh?

me too.

I've often thought that a better statement than "I should warn you, I'm a leathal weapon." would be...
"I should warn you, I pay Black Belts to beat me up, so nothing you are gonna do will really matter."

Your Bro.
John

Attachments

• $knight_armored_archduke_preattack_md_wht.gif
    $knight_armored_archduke_preattack_md_wht.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 296
OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Brother John

That happens huh?

me too.

I've often thought that a better statement than "I should warn you, I'm a leathal weapon." would be...
"I should warn you, I pay Black Belts to beat me up, so nothing you are gonna do will really matter."

Your Bro.
John

I think i will start using that one.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Well we tried to keep it on track a couple times but, once the silliness starts, there's little chance to keep things in line.

:D

It's okay, I got some responces that were what I was looking for. The rest is just plain old fashion fun. ;)

OP
W

WhiteTiger

Originally posted by SingingTiger

So I entered all of the techniques that I'd learned so far into a Microsoft Word document, printed it out, and cut up the page so that I had strips of paper with one technique each. There have been a few times when I've had my wife pick the techniques randomly from a bowl and call them out while I perform them in the next room day one!

Rich [/B]

In our studio we have something similar, "The Coffee Can"
Each Technique on a strip of paper drawn randomly for the student to perform. A great way to get ready for a belt test. Someone preparing for their Black Belt test might spend entire classes "in the can"

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Now, why don't just say the techniques names, or the attack in any order? There's no need in there to have papers for this. WE do while training, sometimes going from last to first, even first and then odds, a certain kind of attack... Imagination's the limit :)

And then the circle of random attacks quoted here by I don't remeber who, sorry.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

The Coffee Can would be easier, for solo training, then you don't have to think about the techniques, and then maybe go "Aaaah I don't want to do that right now." etc.....

If you have a partner to call out the techniques then this is not necessary, all they need it a list.

I've been planning to put the techniques on carboard and then attaching them to a rolladex and then doing a spin and whatever pops up is the technique I'd do. Again, this would be for solo training.

Dot
:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been planning to put the techniques on carboard and then attaching them to a rolladex and then doing a spin and whatever pops up is the technique I'd do.

Sounds a little like using lawn darts.

Why not go about it with a more scientific bent:
like chosing some of your more difficult/new techniques to cover or build a systematic routine to go through on a regular basis so that you get all your bases covered. Seems like spinning the rolladex of death or plucking from the coffee-can of doom would be a little too random to insure that it is comprehensively going over your skills/knowledge.
Just a thought...
PS: Hey, I like your web-site. :D
Your Brother
John

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by Brother John

Sounds a little like using lawn darts.

Why not go about it with a more scientific bent:
like chosing some of your more difficult/new techniques to cover or build a systematic routine to go through on a regular basis so that you get all your bases covered. Seems like spinning the rolladex of death or plucking from the coffee-can of doom would be a little too random to insure that it is comprehensively going over your skills/knowledge.
Just a thought...
PS: Hey, I like your web-site. :D
Your Brother
John

I agree with what you are saying, you've made some very valid points, but, the randomness is to keep from learning them in any kind of order. If you only chose the most difficult, or just the family grouping, and you did one after another in a routine then if someone said do the one in the middle then you would get stuck because they weren't in the order thay you learned them. At least that's what happened to me and that's why I first started this thread.

By using the "Can" or the "Rolladex" you are creating spontaneity. So you will learn not to stop and think about the technique and and Nike says "JUST DO IT".

This of course is how I think it works for me. It may not work at all for another person. Now since I first posted this thread my instructor has made it a regular practise of doing the techniques out of order as posted on the belt requirement sheet. So I don't have as much trouble as I use to. But I still like the can or rolladex idea for when you are on your own. :)

OP
K

Kenpomachine

The family grouping comments comes from my experience. If I work too much time in a technique, then I tend to mechanize in excess, so making all of the techniques with the same attack together helps me overcome this.

That has also happened when I began with long form three. I had to concentrate a lot when doing short three not to jump to the long form I was working in at the moment.

And regarding the random attacks in which the cards will work well alone, it won't allow you to react under pressure. Which I think was the intention of the drill described here at first :D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you only chose the most difficult, or just the family grouping, and you did one after another in a routine then if someone said do the one in the middle then you would get stuck because they weren't in the order thay you learned them. At least that's what happened to me and that's why I first started this thread.

That makes good sense then. I see now.
Yeah, I have that same thing going on. I really enjoy music, so I have several (ok, many) favorite CDs that I listen to frequently. SO then when I hear the song on the radio and am enjoying them (AKA singing along, much to the chagrin of my cute redheaded wife) I then automatically begin to sing the next song that WOULD have been next on the CD. Sam Ting! We do get stuck in a rut ( I now understand the use of this title for the thread ) and in a mechanized pattern.
What you are getting at is breaking the pattern.
Gotcha...:cool:

Have a good one...
Your Brother
John
:asian:

Latest Discussions