Street Fights

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see him being an assistant coach with only 2 years of experience. It's still a coach. He could be good at teaching techniques, especially to Noobs. While sparring and fighting, that's just another level entirely. I've seen people who've mastered the techniques after 5+ years, and are big and strong.... but don't like to spar hard nor fight and they crumble easy when you hit them hard.

He's honest about it and is exploring his options. While people who make up ****, I usually can see right through it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would also have questions about a gym that has a 17 year old that started at 15 as one of the coaches.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you compete?
This is a better place to start. Find a competition and see how you do. It’s safer and legal. And it seems that feedback is lacking in your normal training.

2 years is a short period to train. If you train (as most of us do:have) as a hobby (a few hours a week), then I wouldn’t expect you to be highly skilled in 2 years.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello! i´ve been thinking about street fighting much, I´ve never actually been in a street fight before so I don´t have any experience when it comes to that. I´ve done Muay Thai for 2 years now and I just became a coach too. But I really wonder if I would have a chance in a street fight, everytime someone new that isn´t so good comes into our sparring sessions I have trouble fighting them with boxing. It just feels harder to hit them and sometimes they even hit equally many punches as me.

What do you guys think about this and using martial arts in street fights?
Most of the time you would lose if you tried using martial arts in a street fight because all too often people use guns in street fights. Martial arts, no matter how good you are, is not usually going to beat a gun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time you would lose if you tried using martial arts in a street fight because all too often people use guns in street fights. Martial arts, no matter how good you are, is not usually going to beat a gun.
Gun use isn't nearly that prevalent in "street fights".

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you get this stat? Ive seen plenty of street fights, none of them involved a gun.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Which movie was this?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of the time? Really? You honestly think guns are used in more than 50% of street fights?
Utter nonsense. Weapons (of any sort) are used in a very small minority of fights.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you learn martial arts, you learn to use and defend against correct technique.

You start being able to do that (defend) consistently when you have lodged in your brain how those movements look.

When a beginner shows up, they don't move correctly so your brain has a harder time reading their movements.

The easiest way to deal with this is just to go on the offensive, but while you "win" the bout, you lose the opportunity to experience something outside your box and thus improve your skills.

When you can get in the ring with a newbie and avoid all their shots while picking them off at will then you should be closer to being able to defend yourself in a non ring fight.

And once you can do that you need to get people to come at you harder and faster until you can cope with full speed fighting.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where did you get this stat? Ive seen plenty of street fights, none of them involved a gun.
If a street fight doesn't involve a gun it could involve other weapons and/or it could involve being attacked by a group as a street fighter could have friends as they often do.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
it could involve being attacked by a group as a street fighter could have friends as they often do.

sfv-characterposter-final-750.jpg

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a street fight doesn't involve a gun it could involve other weapons and/or it could involve being attacked by a group as a street fighter could have friends as they often do.
Could could could that's the point maybe it will maybe it won't you can't say either way if it will or not

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, whats the stat on the percentage of street fights that involved weapons, or a group of people?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe if you live in Brazil or south Africa. This certainly isn't the case in my country.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And its good to be prepared for all the coulds.
It is. It's important to know the reality of those odds, too. Most likely scenario is some guy (yep, usually a guy) using fists and tackles, with low to moderate skill. Potential add-ons to that scenario: weapons, multiple attackers, higher skill levels, chemicals that reduce response to even extreme pain, environmental dangers. Preparing for the base is the most important part. The rest is good, though less important.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is. It's important to know the reality of those odds, too. Most likely scenario is some guy (yep, usually a guy) using fists and tackles, with low to moderate skill. Potential add-ons to that scenario: weapons, multiple attackers, higher skill levels, chemicals that reduce response to even extreme pain, environmental dangers. Preparing for the base is the most important part. The rest is good, though less important.
I can only speak of the U.S. and the city and states that I've lived in.

Most fights are probably random. I don't think anyone wakes up and thinks. Today I'm going to get into a fight. Even those who carry guns for protection probably don't think either. Most of the time it's the random chance that 2 people who rub each other the wrong way are going to settle it with a fight.'

Most weapon violence is probably planned intent. It would be someone with a plan to use a weapon, so when things get heated they don't back down or try to defuse the situation. Deep down they don't want things to calm down, they want things to hit the boiling point and to come out on top to prove a point that is insignificant after all is said and done. For the most part these people have an idea of who they want to shoot either specifically or in general such as, race, gender, or people they think of as belonging to the group that they don't like.

In comparison to targeted weapon attacks and self defense attacks, the targeted weapons attacks are numerous. Even though that's bad, a person is more likely to be in a random hand to hand attack on the street. I look back of all of the conflicts I've had on the streets, and think just how many of those would have been fights had I not been good at calming things down. I would have easily been in more than 20 fights in my life. .

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only speak of the U.S. and the city and states that I've lived in.

Most fights are probably random. I don't think anyone wakes up and thinks. Today I'm going to get into a fight. Even those who carry guns for protection probably don't think either. Most of the time it's the random chance that 2 people who rub each other the wrong way are going to settle it with a fight.'

Most weapon violence is probably planned intent. It would be someone with a plan to use a weapon, so when things get heated they don't back down or try to defuse the situation. Deep down they don't want things to calm down, they want things to hit the boiling point and to come out on top to prove a point that is insignificant after all is said and done. For the most part these people have an idea of who they want to shoot either specifically or in general such as, race, gender, or people they think of as belonging to the group that they don't like.

In comparison to targeted weapon attacks and self defense attacks, the targeted weapons attacks are numerous. Even though that's bad, a person is more likely to be in a random hand to hand attack on the street. I look back of all of the conflicts I've had on the streets, and think just how many of those would have been fights had I not been good at calming things down. I would have easily been in more than 20 fights in my life. .
That's a reasonable possibility. I think there's a fair amount of planned empty-hand attacks (those sucker-punch robberies most of us have seen on YouTube), but you might be right: most people probably stack the odds in their favor when they have a chance to plan. There are also a fair number of unplanned weapons in "fights" - we see them on the evening news from time to time - but you're probably right that those are the minority in that context.

Kick

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm from the ghetto's of Crenshaw, Los Angeles 90s and also lived and worked next to Cabrini Green, Chicago back n the early 2000s. Haven't been in a street fight in 30 something years yet i've seen so much blood in the past that i'm freaked out a lot, maybe PDSD? Anyhow my two years of training has given me now the confidence to cope, knowing that I might be able to get out of a bad situation. Peace

Latest Discussions