Street defense unarmed vs. knife (yikes!)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, that's why I buy the cheaper folders. Can you imagine throwing away a $100 knife every time?

If you're getting attacked this often and you don't work as a LEO or simialr then you're already doing something wrong, I'd say.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
My Buddy carries 7 knifes on his person....

1 for the right 1 for the left
2 for a buddy
1 to get muddy
1 to throw and 1 to let go.

At least this is the 'saying' that his teacher gave him.

I a a bit concerned with carrying a knife or two. I fear the legal aftermath of using a blade. Let's face it, if I were to use the blade in gunting and parrying then the BG would have what the lawyers call "defensive wounds" on his hands and body. Even a cheap law school dropout of a lawyer could present a case in which I was the Bad Guy.

I like my self-defense to be quick, reliable, non-letal, and leave no marks.
Just my Two Cents Worth.
Jeremy Bays

OP
A

AldonAsher

And I'd say, Arnisador, you didn't read the part where I said 'the few times I have been ambushed' or the part where I mentioned 'to be aware of your surroundings'.

BTW, at that time, I was a poor college student and lived in a very bad neighborhood. Things happened.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by AldonAsher

And I'd say, Arnisador, you didn't read the part where I said 'the few times I have been ambushed' or the part where I mentioned 'to be aware of your surroundings'.

BTW, at that time, I was a poor college student and lived in a very bad neighborhood. Things happened.

Yeah, that's when I was mugged too. I took your last statement to mean it was an ongoing issue--apparently I misunderstood. Sorry!

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by The 14th Style
Hey GouRonin, a question if you don't mind. I was looking at some folders the other day in the 20 to 30 dollar price range. I didn't see any point in spending much more than that. But I held off because I wasn't sure. Do you think it makes much difference?

It depends, I prefer to carry one good one. The rest are throwaways. That's my deal. Each should have their own way of thinking. I know Renegade :erg: likes to have good knives. Why? He feels that if he's going to trust his life to a blade it better be hardy enough. I can see his reasoning. We just have different needs.

So sure it makes a difference. But the difference is what you feel does the job for you.

OP
A

AldonAsher

I should have specified the context in which these few incidents occurred. Sorry about that.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Samurai
I a a bit concerned with carrying a knife or two. I fear the legal aftermath of using a blade. Let's face it, if I were to use the blade in gunting and parrying then the BG would have what the lawyers call "defensive wounds" on his hands and body. Even a cheap law school dropout of a lawyer could present a case in which I was the Bad Guy.

When I am working in my submission fighting class you'll often see me when I am on the ground slapping my hip and my opponent's ribs really fast. I've been asked if I am doing this for a reason. I sure am. It'll be folder draw and the quick stab on my opponent. After that, I'll just grapple till he can't grapple any more. So I'm practicing. I might not do it but I want to know I can. Besides, the short wounds will not be defensive ones and hard to see. If he reacts and leaves me alone. Great. If not, he's screwed and he wears himself out. I think integrating all your arts to be useful is a good idea. Don't keep them seperate.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My philosophy is the same as Mr. Hartman's--I want to carry a good one so I know it won't break, fail to open smoothly, etc.

On the other hand I agree with AldonAsher that in many cases you won't have the time to open it even if you have time to darw it. A fixed blade has many advantages! Of course you might not even have time to draw that.

In Desperado, Antonio Banderas kept a pistol up each sleave, spring-loaded so they flew into his hands. I recommend that, plus more guns in your guitar case.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In Desperado, Antonio Banderas kept a pistol up each sleave, spring-loaded so they flew into his hands. I recommend that, plus more guns in your guitar case.

Speaking of this...I saw an old Shaw Brothers Kung-Fu movie where one of the guys had butterfly swords spring loaded in his sleaves. Good Film.

Jeremy Bays

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by arnisador
My philosophy is the same as Mr. Hartman's--I want to carry a good one so I know it won't break, fail to open smoothly, etc.

I can see. That. I am looking for one good knife to be a primary. The rest are there just in case.

On the other hand I agree with AldonAsher that in many cases you won't have the time to open it even if you have time to darw it. A fixed blade has many advantages! Of course you might not even have time to draw that.

Understood. However it's harder to just carry a fixed because there are less places to put it IMHO.

**mental note to self - when entering dangerous situations, always send in Arnisador first**"

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree--it's harder to carry and may be harder to legally justify.

One of Mr. Hartman's friends used to have a big knife with brass knuckle handgrip and a point at the butt end--it would have scared away an army platoon. It was one intimidating-looking knife. You wouldn't need to actually use it.

Let's send Bob Hubbard and his paintball gun through the door first! We'll, uh, have his back, right?

OP
G

GouRonin

I bet it would be harder to justify a fied blade as you can always say the folder is just more of a convienence tool. I dunno.

Let's send Bob Hubbard and his paintball gun through the door first! We'll, uh, have his back, right?

Well, since he thinks that I'm afraid of paintguns sure. I just want to say that if mine goes off and shoots him as we're going in it was just because I didn't know how to work the gun. They don't let us have guns up here. Is it my fault it always goes off when it points at Bob? Must be malfunctioning...
:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree--it's harder to carry and may be harder to legally justify.

One of Mr. Hartman's friends used to have a big knife with brass knuckle handgrip and a point at the butt end--it would have scared away an army platoon. It was one intimidating-looking knife. You wouldn't need to actually use it.

If Bob goes first, then I say send in Bunny next.
:rofl:

Rich

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by AldonAsher

I should have specified the context in which these few incidents occurred. Sorry about that.

You D@#$n sure don't want to mug Aldon now, right Cthulhu?:eek:

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So far I've diffused two "occasions" by opening my balisong (Butterfly knife). It is amazing what watching crappy martial arts movies does to society. I simply say "Look at this" (Flip, flip, flip, click) and hold in in a non threating posture, like cleaning my fingernails, or cutting the hunk of cheese I was holding the time (It was lunchtime, I was hungry). I know both of the guys now and all is well. Just my 0.02

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by kenposcum

A while ago, I was attacked by a knife-wielding
assailant. First, he attempted to drop the knife in my back, but I was fortunate in that I saw him in the reflection of the El train's window.
So I turned and faced him. What was scary (beyond the fact that I was knifeless) was HOW he wielded the knife: he kept the knife along his side, tight and back, and he was attempting to grab me with his left hand (he was standing left foot forward). We circled for a bit until I finally had a clear path to the stairs, at which point I sprinted to the first platform and leapt down the fifteen or so feet to the ground. Thankfully, he did not give chase.
I talked with my instructor about this, as we have no techniques which deal with a situation like this. I am looking for input (above and beyond "get a gun, kid"). Any technical advice, or direction on where to go to get it, would be very appreciated. Thanks! :asian:
Welcome to the club and the land of the living. Attacks from behind are always tricky and rely on feeling attention. An old kung fu saying states that "running is the best part of the art".
Sincerely, In Humility'
Chiduce!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Palusut

You D@#$n sure don't want to mug Aldon now, right Cthulhu?:eek:

You can mug Aldon...it's very possible...

...with a high-powered sniper rifle from about 500 yards.

:D

Cthulhu

OP
K

kenposcum

Well, gentlemen, I've been working with some of these ideas, using a rubber training knife with a dusting of chalk and a few of my students. Circling around to the right and smash/grabbing the knife wielding arm seems to have the best success rate, particularly when combined with a knee or thrust kick into the back of the knee. With my more skilled students, however, there was a tendency to reverse the grip on the knife (icepick style) and jab it backwards before I could "both hands on the wheel." I also tried round kicks, Muay Thai-ish, to the lead leg, which worked with less experienced individuals, but more skilled people tended to get the knife in there. I didn't really get to try side kicking the lead knee (as that would require disposable students).
But when we started these things, I got "killed(as in multiple thrusts to the chest/abdomen)" about every other time, and now it's down to about one in ten, which may be a function of getting used to my attackers, but it has made me a bit more comfy in dealing with said situation (should I ever be that unfortunate again).
Somebody said something about throwing a folder at his assailant's face: forgive me, but isn't it generally bad policy to arm one's opponent? Or was the opponent already armed (in which case in would make more sense)? Throw one and ready the other, was that it?
Well, hey, thank you all very much for your tips and input! I have not been able to do much extra-cirricular stuff with FMA as I have a test coming up in October, but you can bet after that, I'll be pestering area FM artists! Thanks again!:asian:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the comment of throwing the folder into an assailants face was made in the context that it is used as a distraction to gain an entry, which happens in a split second. The assailant would not have time to catch open and initiate a weapon in the time it would take to be on top of him (if he is distracted into thinking he can do all these things, all the better)! Remember, you yourself may not have time to open the weapon (why would your opponent)?

OP
J

J-kid

I pratice knife disarms and gun disarms at my judo /jijutsu place , Most schools give some techs. On how you should try to defend your self. Glade you made it out ok running is the best choice.

Latest Discussions