Streaching

S

scouse130484

THE ONLY PART OF TAE KWON DO I DONT LIKE IS THE STREACHING IVE GOTTEN TO THE POINT WHERE IM NOT GETTING ANY MORE FLEXIBLE AND WAS WONDERIN ARE THERE ANY GOOD WEB SITES OUT THERE OR ANY ADVICE TO HELP IMPROVE MY FLEXABILITY? :jediduel:

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Stretching is very important! You must be flexible in order to pull of alot of the trickyness and techniques in TKD. try this site.DragonDoor

its more along the lines of Bodyweight conditioning, but it will give you the static, active, and passive flexibilty that you need. Don't give up on your stretching!!

:asian:
THuNdeR_FoOT

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

well, I love Stretching. It's relaxing and somewhat enjoyable. It may not remove the lactic acid, but it sure feels good. I've got a good straddle and front split too...heh...:uhyeah:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love stretching. I feel "limber" and ready for kicks.

When I started MA 3 and a half years ago, I couldn't even touch my toes. It was bad. Now I can do front splits. Just don't give up, and don't stop stretching.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
scouse130484 said:
THE ONLY PART OF TAE KWON DO I DONT LIKE IS THE STREACHING IVE GOTTEN TO THE POINT WHERE IM NOT GETTING ANY MORE FLEXIBLE AND WAS WONDERIN ARE THERE ANY GOOD WEB SITES OUT THERE OR ANY ADVICE TO HELP IMPROVE MY FLEXABILITY? :jediduel:

Do you have a problem with stretching for flexibility, stretching before working out, or just stretching in general. I think it's vitally important to do at least a light stretch before any physically exerting activity, and it's a very good idea to stretch afterwards as well. Stretching for flexibility is less important in my opinion, although it is still a good idea. I do Kenpo and most of our kicks are waist level or lower, but I still do some flexibility stretching. Not alot, I can't do the splits, but I figure if I can kick head high with strenth, speed, and ease, than kicking groin or knee level will only be that much quicker and easier.

Stretching's not so bad, and I actually enjoy the feel of a long luxurious stretch. Sometimes before I go to bed at night I might spend twenty to thirty minutes doing a full body stretch, just to unwind all the kinks of my day to allow my body to really relax into sleep.

-Rob

OP
D

Disco

You have most likely hit a plateau in your stretching/flexability. This will happen several times to most people in their training. Some of us have not been afforded the super plyable bodies that make the arts look so good. But, we are the one's that the tennent's "Indomitable Spirit and Patience" were aimed at. Will we/me every reach that goal of having a gymnast's flexability? In my case, they would have to tie each leg to the rear bumper of a truck and then drive away - SLOWLEY. :boing2:

But that dosen't mean I've given up and I've actually made some halfway decent progress. At age 60, with a back that has had it's problems, I'm still making progress. You've got plenty of time, enjoy the challenge and the journey. :asian:

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Well, I'm super flexible, but that happens to be because I'm 17 and I've stretched since I was like 10...no gymnastics and no real reason, I just did it as part of my workouts...And I'm not really strong, but Taekwondo has been a good MA for me because it has a ton of leg work, which I'm 6' and My legs are really strong...so it's helped alot and I love stretching...

OP
E

elcajon555

How often do you stretch in general? And how often do you stretch progressiily to gain more flexibilty?

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I just do...I started stretching for no reason when I was like 9(seriously, for no reason other than for my small work outs). I used to have horrible flexibility because it hurt so much, but when I turned like 11 or 12, I was Mr. Flexible. No Joke. After a while I quit stretching for like 3 yrs and I'm still as flexible as I was then. I jsut stretch almost every day and I do a ton of flexible kicks and moves.

I do splits and everything you can imagine...

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

Wow, congrats invisible Fist. Great Job!

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Even as a kid I couldn't reach down and touch my toes. If I did stretch I would have back pain for weeks.

At forty I started stretching after walks (for cholestorol and blood pressure) and found it very relaxing and enjoyable. After a while I could touch my toes whenever I wanted. Later I stretched in conjunction with Tai Chi which really helped my back.

Now I do TaeKwonDo without back pain. I stretch every morning and evening. I will stretch for weeks and hit the same limits. Then one day my chest can rest on my knees or something that I never thought was possible. It just happens when it wants to. I'm just along for the ride! I love stretching now!

I may never be able to do the splits but I no longer think it is impossible.

OP
A

Andi

Tae Kwon Doughboy said:
Even as a kid I couldn't reach down and touch my toes. If I did stretch I would have back pain for weeks.

At forty I started stretching after walks (for cholestorol and blood pressure) and found it very relaxing and enjoyable. After a while I could touch my toes whenever I wanted. Later I stretched in conjunction with Tai Chi which really helped my back.

Now I do TaeKwonDo without back pain. I stretch every morning and evening. I will stretch for weeks and hit the same limits. Then one day my chest can rest on my knees or something that I never thought was possible. It just happens when it wants to. I'm just along for the ride! I love stretching now!

I may never be able to do the splits but I no longer think it is impossible.
Hi Tae Kwon Doughboy, welcome to MT. Great username! How long did you study Tai Chi for before taking up TKD? Would you have considered doing TKD without having the flexibility benefits you got from Tai Chi?

I've really not got the discipline with stretching. But when I can be bothered, it's quite satisfying sometimes when you suddenly get really low. :uhyeah: In fact I have the sudden urge to go do some box splits.

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Andi, I studied Tai Chi for about two years. Unfortunately there are no classes around here so I did all I could do from video tapes and books. I did it religiously but I think it was lacking what I could learn from a master.

I would never have considered TaeKwonDo had I not done Tai Chi first. It provided me with inner strength and balance I never thought possible. It also helped me mentally recover from a very stressful work situation and burnout.

I have to say that no video tape can replace learning from a live instructor. Although Tai Chi was my first choice I can't deny the benefits of TaeKwonDo.