Stinky Boxing Gloves

Kick

White Belt
Reaction score
After each use I clean my boxing gloves with Lysol disinfecting wipes and then put them on a boot dryer. Now they have some kind of dry white powder stuff inside that gets really gross when wet. Thinking about all that dried up sweat. What would you do to clean and how can I stop this from happening again to a new pair?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After each use I clean my boxing gloves with Lysol disinfecting wipes and then put them on a boot dryer. Now they have some kind of dry white powder stuff inside that gets really gross when wet. Thinking about all that dried up sweat. What would you do to clean and how can I stop this from happening again to a new pair?
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you dropped in.
Could it be the Lysol reacting to the heat of the boot dryer instead of evaporating naturally? Or, if your sweat is really salty it will make a white film, and yes it stinks pretty bad. If the gloves are getting slimly I would definitely say it is the Lysol. To test, instead of using Lysol, try a mild soap and warm water for a while and see if there is any change.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use Odoban. It cleans, disinfects, sanitizes and deodorizes & eliminates unpleasant odors with no residue.
It is effective against a wide variety of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. It is also an excellent deodorant and leaves a clean fresh odor.
It is effective in preventing the growth of Influenza, Hong Kong, & Swine flu.
It is an fungicide preventing athlete's foot fungus and ring worm, it kills germs such as E. coli, Staph, Salmonella, Strep on surfaces in 10 minutes and kills HIV-1 (AIDS Virus) and Herpes Simplex type 2 in 60 seconds.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
images-4.jpg

Spray your gloves then spray some paper towel and put that in your gloves to dry them out.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use Odoban. It cleans, disinfects, sanitizes and deodorizes & eliminates unpleasant odors with no residue.
It is effective against a wide variety of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. It is also an excellent deodorant and leaves a clean fresh odor.
It is an fungicide preventing athlete's foot fungus and ring worm, it kills germs such as E. coli, Staph, Salmonella, Strep on surfaces in 10 minutes and kills HIV-1 (AIDS Virus) and Herpes Simplex type 2 in 60 seconds.
Stout stuff. Does it kill your immune system?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Gonzo brand - same basic product, I think, with a less-intense scent. I haven't tried it in gloves yet - I'll have to remember it when they need treating.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider the stench to be just another weapon in my arsenal...

I suspect it's the Lysol reacting to something specific about you. I have used various disinfecting wipes and there's no particular odor.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have been using Odoban for the past 10 years on our equipment, mats, and in the restrooms everyday.
Have never had a problem with fungus infection like ring worm or athlete's foot nor staph associated infections.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading that, all can think of is an infomercial.

“Billy Mays here with Odoban...”
EFA277DB-9CE7-46D2-BE01-C564B0062A4F.jpeg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was trying to think of why there was such a cadence in my head to that post. I was hearing it in Billy Mays' delivery.
Same for me. I realized who’s voice was in my head once I was done. All it was missing was “Billy Mays here...” and “...if you call within the next 10 minutes we’ll double your order. Just pay separate processing and handling...”

D

Deleted member 39746

Just use any disinfectant, i cant imagine if something would work on shoes it wouldn't gloves. Unless of course it states otherwise in washing instructions.

Apart from that semi disclaimer i think the go to disinfectant for my household is detol. At least for disinfectant spray for shoes, handles etc, diffrent brand for washing up soap etc.

Im not very good at domestic tasks leave me alone. :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used Lexol (https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-Leathe...ocphy=9061285&hvtargid=pla-567776710747&psc=1) conditioner for many years for camera leathers. Seems to clean as well, but I noticed on the above web site that they offer a cleaner as well.

That said, I think you should pay attention to @Dirty Dog's advice on another Nature's Product, pressure tested and proven for thousands of years, which will always produce predictable results. Waving your hands and retreating a step will produce the best results.

Do keep plenty of Huggies handy and dry towels also. Be prepared for difficulty in acquiring sparing partners after the first use.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have used Lexol (https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-Leathe...ocphy=9061285&hvtargid=pla-567776710747&psc=1) conditioner for many years for camera leathers. Seems to clean as well, but I noticed on the above web site that they offer a cleaner as well.

That said, I think you should pay attention to @Dirty Dog's advice on another Nature's Product, pressure tested and proven for thousands of years, which will always produce predictable results. Waving your hands and retreating a step will produce the best results.

Do keep plenty of Huggies handy and dry towels also. Be prepared for difficulty in acquiring sparing partners after the first use.

You might want to try another of Natures Products called Stink Breath Delight. Many customers swear by it. Oh wait, I think that's sparing partners swear at it. Puts them off guard and makes them an easier target.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to try another of Natures Products called Stink Breath Delight. Many customers swear by it. Oh wait, I think that's sparing partners swear at it. Puts them off guard and makes them an easier target.
And don't forget Unwashed Uniform. A classic.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Insert toilet paper rolls to keep air in there, and a couple dryer sheets to keep the must away.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
And don't forget Unwashed Uniform. A classic.

Yes, we also have a product that classic line. We call ours Sweet Sweat Scent. We have two variations. I prefer the one with just a hint of Tiger Balm, which we call Sweet Sweat Scent Strong. You don't even have to put the uniform on. Just whistle and it comes running to you.

The name is also good for concentration testing contests in the dojo. How many times can you say the latter fast and keep it right? Winners can be rewarded with our complimentary box of trial scents.

Latest Discussions