Stillness and Motion : Quotes and Discussion

R

RHD

Dave, take a few steps back here. What is your actual experience training in Chinese martial arts? Not with people who've studied them, but with what system(s) and how much time in it(them) do you have? Let's establish some background here before we get to universal truths.

For myself, I've been involved with martial "arts" since I was 11 or 12. I'm 34 now. The last 14 or so have solely been in Chinese martial arts, Hung Gar at the base. Now with little exception it is all I study. I have in the past: studied kenpo, TKD, judo, a smattering of various kung fu styles, and was an amateur kick boxer in my late teens. I have had to defend myself on more than one occasion though nothing like that has occurred for several years and I do not look forward to ever having to do so again. I have fought what some would call "full contact" against boxers, kick boxers, and BJJer's and trained with some "SWAT" types in the past, but now I devote my training and teaching time in the Hung Gar system as realistically and practically as I can. I am not involved with any aspects of traditional Chinese medicine that do not apply directly with combative uses. I do not actively train with a sifu or master, but rather correspond with others within the Hung system whom I respect for thier skill. I teach a small group of private students who are interested in learning self defense and fighting from the Hung system. Am I aggressive...yes in many ways. I am definately passionate about my opinions on Chinese martial arts, mainly that they are meant to be martial and that there's way too much silliness and goofy behavior being passed off as kung fu these days. For the record, I have plenty of other interests outside of kung fu, but I'm not on Martial Talk to discuss those.

Mike

OP
G

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
You have been uninterested in my background until now? Quick back ground then back to the subject at hand ok?

Hung Gar is not an internal system, I do not expect you to practice standing meditation, BUT if your in my thread, you should discuss the topic at hand.

The conversation actually has to do with:

STILLNESS and MOTION

Our tangents:

1. Whether or not the martial artist can use biofeedback to his advantage?

2. What relationship does biofeedback have with stillness? (or with silliness as you say)

3. What universal truths if any connect different art forms together?

Hopefully we can continue the conversation after this interlude.

In:

1975: I was an egg.
1976: I was born.
1979: I fell off my toybox and busted open my lip.
1988: my dad gave me the tao of jeet kune do for christmas. That was great.
1993-1997: yee chuan kung fu / wing chun with Rhys Williams
1994-1998: judo / jiu jitsu / kick boxing w/ Dave Minden
1998-present: brazillian jiu jitsu w/ sbg and various mentors around the world
1999-present: yee chuan with Sifu Vendrell
2000-2003: worked with PD members teaching ISR curriculum to PD. I am not certified in ISR. I play bad guy, and helped teach fundamentals of positional dominance as it relates to PD use of force matrix.
2002-present: nine psalms with Sifu Moses

Talk to me, don't compare yourself to me. I want to know what you think based on what you've done, not just what you've 'done'.

Can we get back on topic?

Dave in Oregon

R

RHD

grappling_mandala said:
You have been uninterested in my background until now? Quick back ground then back to the subject at hand ok?

Hung Gar is not an internal system, I do not expect you to practice standing meditation, BUT if your in my thread, you should discuss the topic at hand.

This is why I wanted some background info. It helps me to know where you are coming from. Hung Gar takes an external approach in the beginning stages, but is very much "internal" as a student progresses. But internal means different things to different people. My belief in internal is harmony of body through correctness of posture and transition into posture, with breathing, and intent. That's it. No chi. No quasi-mystcism. Philosophy is something separate from the martial practice. I do not bracket them together. Philosophies are highly subjective and I'm sure that you will agree that they are not a solid, straightforward, or consistant thing.

The conversation actually has to do with:

STILLNESS and MOTION

Our tangents:

1. Whether or not the martial artist can use biofeedback to his advantage?

2. What relationship does biofeedback have with stillness? (or with silliness as you say)

3. What universal truths if any connect different art forms together?

These are your issues, not mine and I feel little need to discover universal truths. What biofeedback I make use of is on an intuitive level.

Hopefully we can continue the conversation after this interlude.

You do a good enough job of holding a conversation...keep it up.

In:

1975: I was an egg.
1976: I was born.
1979: I fell off my toybox and busted open my lip.
1988: my dad gave me the tao of jeet kune do for christmas. That was great.
1993-1997: yee chuan kung fu / wing chun with Rhys Williams
1994-1998: judo / jiu jitsu / kick boxing w/ Dave Minden
1998-present: brazillian jiu jitsu w/ sbg and various mentors around the world
1999-present: yee chuan with Sifu Vendrell
2000-2003: worked with PD members teaching ISR curriculum to PD. I am not certified in ISR. I play bad guy, and helped teach fundamentals of positional dominance as it relates to PD use of force matrix.
2002-present: nine psalms with Sifu Moses

Talk to me, don't compare yourself to me. I want to know what you think based on what you've done, not just what you've 'done'.

I didn't ask for a comparison...Just trying to understand where you are coming from in terms of Chinese martial arts. What I think is that I don't waste my time seeking universal truths or contemplating stillness and motion, or looking up quotes from philosophers. When I say "kung fu is in the hands" I don't mean gravity or some deep concept. What I mean is skill is represented tangibly and quite literally tactile.

Can we get back on topic?

Now who's the aggressive person?

Dave in Oregon

Dave, I think you already have strong opinions on the topic. I'm not much of a philosophy/meditation/universal truths seeker. In fact, I see things in rather mundane terms. I'd rather be training specifically in what I'm studying that doing forms in the wind or running in the water and thinking about it. If you're trying to dig deeper into Mike's mind then you've tunneled as deep as you will get. Read into that what you like, and fell free to snicker over it if it helps you. However, if it's conversation on these topics, beyond what I've engaged in, then look to others on this board for thier input. I'm sure there's plenty of others here now that are more in tune with your ideals.

Mike

OP
G

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
RHD said:
What I mean is skill is represented tangibly and quite literally tactile.
Yup, ultimately that's what it comes down too.

RHD said:
I'm sure there's plenty of others here now that are more in tune with your ideals.

Mike
Well, at least we know a little more about each other now. So it's not a waste. I apprieciate your time.

Dave

Latest Discussions