Stick for Self Defense

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts - General' started by stonewall1350, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    This is an old post I know but I think this will be interesting. A man was fined for aggravated assault from an encounter where he used drum sticks as a weapon. It went to gran jury and the judge said it was NOT aggravated but instead simple assault due to the "weapons" used. He was in fact a drummer in a local band so there was a justifiable reason for him to have the drum sticks on his person.
    So learn to play the drums, join a well known band and you can carry drum sticks around. But you could still be charged and have to go through an expensive hassle.
    I know this as fact since I was the charging officer.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

drum sticks wouldn't be my weapon of choice, unless 8 wanted to drum some respect in to him, so I'm not sure it's worth the time, may take up hockey though

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

Interesting thought. A pair of heavier drumsticks could be wielded effectively with a little practice, used for striking and thrusting. Yes you give up about 10" or more over a 28" escrima stick, but at 16-18" or so, one could still have a good chance of fending off an attacker, depending on what he is armed with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1