Stick for Self Defense

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts - General' started by stonewall1350, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    This is an old post I know but I think this will be interesting. A man was fined for aggravated assault from an encounter where he used drum sticks as a weapon. It went to gran jury and the judge said it was NOT aggravated but instead simple assault due to the "weapons" used. He was in fact a drummer in a local band so there was a justifiable reason for him to have the drum sticks on his person.
    So learn to play the drums, join a well known band and you can carry drum sticks around. But you could still be charged and have to go through an expensive hassle.
    I know this as fact since I was the charging officer.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

drum sticks wouldn't be my weapon of choice, unless 8 wanted to drum some respect in to him, so I'm not sure it's worth the time, may take up hockey though

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. DocWard

DocWard Blue Belt

Interesting thought. A pair of heavier drumsticks could be wielded effectively with a little practice, used for striking and thrusting. Yes you give up about 10" or more over a 28" escrima stick, but at 16-18" or so, one could still have a good chance of fending off an attacker, depending on what he is armed with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Well Gents, it's all about what kinda drumming you do. Now if you do traditional Japanese Tyco drumming, heck yeah! Those tyco drumsticks would be perfect for defense!!!
    Check this out:

• Like Like x 2
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Easily. I love Kodo. I have a remix album of their stuff I've had for 15-20 years.

• Like Like x 1