Stick-Fencing.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An article in the current issue of Budo International magazine, now available in a North American edition also, has an article on Portuguese stick-fencing O Jogo do Pau. The stickfighter profiled is alleged to ahve defdeated Korean and Japanese masters using what is Portugal's only native martial art, a form of stickfighting based on fencing. They wear vaguely kendo-like armour and the few techniques shown resemble Japanese jo techniques to me. A video is available--indeed, pushing videos and DVDs seems to be an important raison d'etre for the magazine.

See also these links.

Edited to fix URL. -Arnisador

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
An article in the current issue of Budo International magazine, now available in a North American edition also, has an article on Portuguese stick-fencing O Jogo do Pau.

The now-current issue of this magazine has an article on Canary Islands staff fighting.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know! Some FMA are certainly strongly influenced by Spanish fencing and retain something of the feel of it, but in general perhaps it isn't the best term.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current issue of Budo International magazine (#10) has a brief sequence of techniques from Jogo Do Pau.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fixed it--thanks for pointing it out to me. When we updated the site a while back many of the links to threads became broken. They are missing a "/forum" after the site's address.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Latest Discussions