Steve Arsenault Kenpo Clips

mrdankenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I had no idea my posting a response would draw so much attention. Just to set the record straight concerning me: To Kenpojujitsu3, I am glad you posted the videos on the sites, they bring back alot of memories and I have gotten alot of laughs reading what the community thinks of them. My initial response was to let anyone who sees this in the future knows that the mrdankenpo seen in the video attacking the empty space around the defender in a stone statue fasion knows it is an old video. I teach my students that accuracy is #1, power then speed follow. A neutral bow is 50/50 weight dist. toe heel alignment and generally shoulder width apart, knees bent. I may not have been remotly close to perfect 14 or so years ago but today I practice what I teach. To Touch of death, Flying crane, Kenpo doc, Kidswarrior and Carol Kaur, thanks for the feedback, weather good or bad, I do like it all. I was a young black belt at the time of this video, had about 5-10 minutes of practice with Arsenault before the demo,and had no idea what he was going to do, as seen in the video, none of the techniques were textbook. I was standing in front of a seated panel consisting of Joe Palanzo, Huk Planas, Frank Trejo, Joe Breidenstein, & Dennis Nackord, if my memory serves me right. I was extremly nervous because I pretty much idolized all of these guys and didn't want to mess things up. It was a very fun time in my training and am glad there are people out there that bring the memories back. Peace to all posters, Dan

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How private can you be at an open test, at a commercial school a few feet from a video camera that you are directly facing? That's 3 counts against privacy right there. The problem ain't the tapes and videos. It's how people take criticism. It's no different than when it's done face to face. Some take it and roll with it some get offended because someone thought they were less than perfect.

I know, I know, and you've made some good points. I think tho, that given this tape was made so long ago, at that time there was no thought that it would be made as widely available as Youtube can do it. That trumps any other distribution of the tape that might have happened before. It goes outside the circle of the organization to which Mr. Arsenault belongs, and is literally available for anyone in the world to look at. I just think there is a courtesy and respect factor in making sure all parties are comfortable with that happening, before making the decision to do so. That's just how I feel about it.

I know nowadays everything gets videoed, I mean my god, everyone has a camera or video camera on their cellphone so it can happen at a moment's notice. So whatever you do now, even if you scratch your butt or pick your nose at the bus stop, someone can videotape it and post it on Youtube. I find the fascination that everyone has with video to be a bit odd and perhaps overdone. Maybe it's just the novelty of it all. At any rate, I just feel there is a courtesy issue in posting video. Some of you guys disagree, that's fine. But that's how I feel about it and maybe sometimes it makes sense to stop and consider that for a moment before posting something.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had no idea my posting a response would draw so much attention. Just to set the record straight concerning me: To Kenpojujitsu3, I am glad you posted the videos on the sites, they bring back alot of memories and I have gotten alot of laughs reading what the community thinks of them....

Hey fair enough by me. Glad to have you on board here, and I am glad that you don't have hard feelings over the video. But I think this is still a valid issue for discussion, something that we should perhaps keep in mind and consider when we might decide to post video. So for my part, I'm glad it came up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then miffed you shall be when I get my hands on video of you LOL. My thought is this. When you get taped doing something and you don't have the tape you do not know what's going to happen with the tape. If you don't like it, don't get taped. Secondly this particular tape was mass produced as part of a marketing tape for that Kenpo organization. It was already available to the world over a decade ago. If you're that worried about people seeing you practice your art then do it in secrecy like they used to do. No spectators, No Cameras, No Camcorders, No Windows.....

well you will have to first find my secret training camp hidden in a cold dead volcano on a Pacific island, surrounded by sharks with friggin lazers on their friggin heads...:asian:

I know, you've got some good points, I just think the wishes of all the players ought to be considered, that's all.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My school has several videotapes of our trips to the Philippines and Indonesia. As far as I know, none of them are on YouTube and I'd be horrified if they were. It has nothing to do with criticism (I'm not even in the video), it has to do with what the purpose was of the taping. The tape was NOT made to be a public broadcast. It was made for us to enjoy as a school. Sure, there was plenty that we did that was public. But, you had to be in the Philppines to see it. If you weren't....too bad. The video was there for us.

To me there is a big difference between someone making a videotape of a class or a test to someone videotaping a bunch of people and then several years later chopping up the video and putting it on the web without even letting them know.

Sure, lots of things are technologically possible. I could perhaps take some rather interesting IM conversations or e-mail exchanges I've had with a couple of individuals and broadcast them on the web too. But, I don't becuase I respect the people involved.

I have nothing against the technology. Heck, I work in telecommunications. My very subsistence depends on people insisting on using technology to communicate with each other. But, I do believe that there are polite and proper ways to establish such a communique.

In my opinion, the way Mr. Arsenault went about this was neither polite nor proper.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was a young black belt at the time of this video, had about 5-10 minutes of practice with Arsenault before the demo,and had no idea what he was going to do, as seen in the video, none of the techniques were textbook.

This is key and I know how you feel. That's why I understood the stone statue. He was improvising on the fly and you had no idea what was coming you could either A) stay still and in one piece or B) move and get clocked with a blow that isn't written in the textbook.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know nowadays everything gets videoed, I mean my god, everyone has a camera or video camera on their cellphone so it can happen at a moment's notice. So whatever you do now, even if you scratch your butt or pick your nose at the bus stop, someone can videotape it and post it on Youtube. I find the fascination that everyone has with video to be a bit odd and perhaps overdone. Maybe it's just the novelty of it all. At any rate, I just feel there is a courtesy issue in posting video. Some of you guys disagree, that's fine. But that's how I feel about it and maybe sometimes it makes sense to stop and consider that for a moment before posting something.

I was having this conversation on KN, Cameras are EVERYWHERE these days. My thoughts are this. Candid camera? yeah have courtesy as you call it because people didn't know they were being taped. When the parties know full well they are being taped. Be prepared for someone to actually see the tape.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well you will have to first find my secret training camp hidden in a cold dead volcano on a Pacific island, surrounded by sharks with friggin lazers on their friggin heads...:asian:

I know, you've got some good points, I just think the wishes of all the players ought to be considered, that's all.

I see you sent your ninjas to hunt me down for the tapes. They almost caught me since the tape was weighing me down. But I prepared for that possibility with a technique called "Preparation H" :asian:

And I'm with ya for the most part. Just playing devil's advocate for a good discussion.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, the way Mr. Arsenault went about this was neither polite nor proper.

At the risk of sounding like a blunt *******. You don't know how Mr. Arsenault "went about this" at all. You are beyond uninformed in your opinion and WAY off base. Only I know how he "went about it" other than him as it was between me and him and I'll share the whole story for the FIRST time now. Be careful when you "shoot off" without all the facts (or ANY of the facts in this case), that's another way rumors get started besides all the videotape "controversy" and I won't stand for an innocent man's name to be trashed like that. He was beyond polite and proper. The "blame" lies with me if there is any blame, so throw it my way at someone who actually posts here :asian:

I posted a clip of Mr. Parker teaching at a seminar in November, 1990. One month before Mr. Parker passed. In the front row you can see a young Steve Arsenault as a 3rd degree learning from Mr. Parker. I noticed in the honors section of the youtube video that the video was hotlinked to Mr. Arsenault's webpage. I contacted Mr. Arsenault and told him that there were a number of other segments that I had from that seminar and other tapes with him on it doing kenpo. I asked him if he wanted me to make them available as well. He requested that I post as much of him as I could and tell him when I did so he could enbed them regardless of what era the footage from. So I did that as a service to him. Just as I posted all the video of Mr. Parker as a service to the kenpo community. And notice NO ONE EVER objected to those being posted. It was always "thanks for posting the vids of Mr. Parker keep it coming". Not "did you ask the guys getting laid out if it was ok to show this?" And some of the vids of Mr. Parker were home videos too, but since it's Mr. Parker no one objected right? This is going overboard, I probably need to just pull all of the clips other than my own. It'll cut down on all of this kind of stuff.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well as James said a couple pages back...er...

Toughen up, guys. Being under the microscope is a good thing. ;) :D

*ducking for cover*

:redcaptur

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this is a very good topic for discussion, perhaps it really warrants a new thread.

Posting video on sites like Youtube is a very new thing. Perhaps it may take us a little while to figure out the proper ettiquette and manners that should go along with it, like it did with the use of cellphones in public. It happened to come up in this thread with the arrival of MRDANKENPO. Prior to that, it didn't really come up as a potential issue. Now our eyes have been opened. Something to think about.

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is a very good topic for discussion, perhaps it really warrants a new thread.

Posting video on sites like Youtube is a very new thing. Perhaps it may take us a little while to figure out the proper ettiquette and manners that should go along with it, like it did with the use of cellphones in public. It happened to come up in this thread with the arrival of MRDANKENPO. Prior to that, it didn't really come up as a potential issue. Now our eyes have been opened. Something to think about.

Shall you do the honors of the new thread?

mrdankenpo

White Belt
Reaction score

This thread seems to have grown a second head. To kenpojujitsu3, Don't pull any video's off line on my account. I think that it is cool that the footage is out there and being shared with other enthusiasts. In my original post I was just trying to parry the hecklers with a response to my actions/reactions or lack thereof. I have had alot of fun with this thread, this is my first time on a site like this, I had no idea my post would cause such a stir.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, return to the original topic. For discussion on the pros/cons of posting Youtube videos, please see this thread.

-Mike Slosek
-MT Asst. Admin-

Latest Discussions