OP
Dark

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Dark,

Are you a lawyer?

Nope, but mom was a paralegal and I've had a few run in with the law for "self-defense" related issues... ;)

Rich Parsons said:
From a perception point of view it is better to look like you wanted to get away and to have a witness or two say so is good. But the way I presented the comment and you did are different. You make it sound like an absolute.

Based on police SOP and evidence aquisition it kind of is an absolute. I work with allot of cops from 3 states.

Rich Parsons said:
In another case I was a witness, but there was still a time when the police stopped by my Apartment to pick me up for further questioning based upon what the defendants of the case were saying. NOTE: the defendants were the onse chasing people around with an axe handling and had already put one guy in the hospital that night.

You know you could have told them to "bugger off" and shut the door. Without a warrant they couldnt do anything.

Rich Parsons said:
I am not arguing your point, but how you present it. You could be opening yourself up for problems by making such statements.

True enough...

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dark said:
I'm just trying to see how other use this in there arts, not judging I appolgise if it seems that way...

No need to apologize. I wasn't talking about you or anyone else on the thread. You asked a great question. I was just giving my point of view more because you asked if it was the best self defense. I think that I am more in the middle of the road as far as how I would judge an instructor & the fact that this type of training is ignored by alot of MA/styles. Also somone said people wouldn't mind if there was a lack of evasion training at a SD seminar & I was giving my view-agreeing with the posters point. I think that it was a good point, most people probably don't care? I do agree though, people need to know that running is the best option. I just don't expect every style to teach it, especially if they don't have their heart into it, or the knowledge.

OP
Dark

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train in ninjutsu, which applies a great deal of stealth, distraction, misdirection and evasion. I did a small seminar with a friend of mine, each one us have to choose a different subject. I picked mobility and distraction, John chose basic functional stuff and the other Dave focused on wing chin blocking techniques.

Allot of wing chun relies on the some principles I was teaching, they just go about them with a different over all focus. I was curious as to how someone else applies the concepts.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark said:
Nope, but mom was a paralegal and I've had a few run in with the law for "self-defense" related issues... ;)

Based on police SOP and evidence aquisition it kind of is an absolute. I work with allot of cops from 3 states.

You know you could have told them to "bugger off" and shut the door. Without a warrant they couldnt do anything.

True enough...

I know my rights.

I also was not home, my roommates answered the door and then delivered the message to me later.

Latest Discussions