State with the most Tsd

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi I was just wonderin how you felt on this, Which states do you think have the most TSD schools and students? Which states have the least?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say PA/NJ area. I grew up in NJ, and there were TSD dojangs everywhere. You wouldn't have to drive more than a half hour in any direction to find one LOL ..... well maybe that's pushing it, but that's how long it took me to get to my TSD dojang. TSD is pretty popular in NJ.

P

progressivetactics

Remember that Grand Master Drouillard (first to bring TSD to America) lives in Gibralter Michigan. He came back here after his time in the service, then sponsered, SHin, Shim, Kim, and a few others (well, he and his family sponsered). When they came here, some stayed for a while, others landed and went to PA. From there, others wanted away and the 2nd and 3rd generation students started feeling the drowning feeling of TSD everywhere, so they went all the way out west, and 1 was born that way (chuck Norris).

I think Mi and Pa are probably 1st and 2nd, followed by Ca. Least? Probably Alaska or Wyoming. They don't have anything out there, do they?

(just kidding)

T

TangSooGuy

PA has definitely got to be toward the top of the list, as others have said. part of that, of course is because the WTSDA is headquartered in Philly and the ITF is headquartered in Pittsburgh.

I know of 51 TSD dojangs in PA in World Tang Soo Do alone...

P

progressivetactics

that is huge.

If you think about all the cities in S.E. Michigan, Detroit area...almost every city has at least 1 tsd school in the parks and rec, or school, or VFW hall. It is unreal if you are a TSD instructor wanting to start a club....You have to step on toes, or move away!

T

TangSooGuy

It is unreal if you are a TSD instructor wanting to start a club....You have to step on toes, or move away!

I konow EXACTLY what you mean. I moved from the philly area to the pittsburgh area for exactly that reason. The philly area was so saturated with WTSDA schools that I had to move in order to ge my own school going. I'm just starting, but things are going well so far.

P

progressivetactics

good luck.

I was the first one where i am at, here, and have been here for 7 years teaching. My instructor was the next city south, and there was 3 TSD schools in that, and it is a much smaller city. It is down to 1 there now.

P

progressivetactics

Tang Soo Do did gain some popularity on the west coast, largely due to Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris was one of the earlier American Tang Soo Do practitioners, and after he was making a name for himself on the national karate circuit, and doing the Hai Karate Cologne commercials, He opened up a chain of UFAF (united fighting arts federation) which was based on Tang Soo Do. Many of the earlier TSD practitioners out west were because of Chuck Norris schools.

As for Canada, I haven't seen alot of TSD up there. I know Master Tate recently moved up to canada, but refers to Tae Kwon Do name instead of the TSD he taught.

P

progressivetactics

well, Tang SOo do is one of the most popular martial arts in the world.....i have to assume they have some there, but I am not famailiar with Any!

I was in Aruba a few years back and considered trying to open up a school there, but after speaking with the locals....it didn't sound like too good of a business plan...The only school they had was a Tae Kwon Do school, and the owner had to work at a resturant to help support the family....It is a very expensive place to live.

Latest Discussions