Started Judo cross training.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started taking Judo classes, in addition to the other stuff. I am after it to keep me limber, and work different muscles. As well as have fun with another hobby.

DM

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the "other" stuff that you train? I started as a karateka, became a judoka, and then became a tangsoodoin. Judo has informed my practice of MA more then any other MA I've practiced.

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a new judoka and goju karateka myself. It certainly works on flexibility and new muscles. Some mornings I'm sore in places I didn't know I had muscles so body awareness is another thing you'll pick up. The set of stretches and exercises they do before each class is actually a good thing to do every morning... after some randorii the night before I need to do those stretches just so I can walk properly but I'm hoping it will get a little easier with time ;-) I was doing weight training too but I've scaled that back a bit for now as I found it was bad to do karatedo or judo after a hard weight training session. Cardio is good for judo and judo is good for cardio though (I have new respect for people who do 3 or 5 5-minute rounds). I hope your cross training goes well.

JudoJunkie

White Belt
Reaction score
I had an instructor who felt that if you took a striking art you should also have experience in a grappling art. In order to make black belt in one, you needed at least a brown in the other. This way, the students were well rounded in the martial arts.

I agree with his philosphy. I can't claim that I have kept up my karate in the last few years but to make up for it, I started Aikido and I now have only one rank difference between my Judo, Jujitsu, and Aikido ranks.

The few times I have had to defend myself, I have found the blend of martial arts necessary. If you are not grounded in a striking art, you are not aware of strikes or kicks and will probably get hit. Once the person closes in, I have no problem ( and actually perfer) dealing with them in a throwing situation.

Latest Discussions