Started JKD

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just started JKD and I am loving it. My teacher is fantastic, the price is great, and the training is definatly for me. I so far, have only had an 1 1/2 hour private lesson, where I learned principles, footwork, straight lead, and a front kick. Tonight is my first class with other students, and I can't wait.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am an avid JKD'r too- just remember- don't get hung up on techniques and drills- go for the concept and use the concepts to glue your techniques together.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tonight was great!!!

Did alot of footwork, striking, and trapping work. Different hand strikes, and kicks. And I love trapping. I can't describe how awesome it was.

Even though we have "material" we are a very concept/philosophy school.

Dancing Dragon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, I try to practice my techniques daily. Hand techniques on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And leg techniques on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Footwork I make sure to do everyday. Keeps my skills sharp :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May I ask whom you are studying under and if you have checked to make sure this is a true JKD instructor?
Not trying to start anything but many people claim they teach JKD and have no true lineage
by the way congrat. on starting to study this art please keep us informed on how it is going

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
May I ask whom you are studying under and if you have checked to make sure this is a true JKD instructor?
Not trying to start anything but many people claim they teach JKD and have no true lineage
by the way congrat. on starting to study this art please keep us informed on how it is going

He's under Poteet.

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score

20 years ago (in Juneau Alaska) I spent a few months studying JKD with a guy (name escapes me) who said he was trained from a guy trained by Dan Inasonto. I didn't question him about it. Now I'm interested in studying/training with those experienced MAs.

So, who are the authorized JKD instructors in Arizona, if any? More specifically, who/where are they in Flagstaff?

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
LegLockGuy, good luck with your JKD training. Take it from an old guy - the hardest part of the martial arts is consistancy. Try to make every class 'rain or shine', no matter how bad you feel get to class and then your instructor will take over. Practice and train, train, train.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

rogerclf1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering who your instructor is because my sifu is under Poteet as well.

Xtrmbikin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking into starting Jun Fan JKD and would like to know what are some things I would need to purchase for class. I have a nice pair of shoes but what else would I need? Also I plan on taking some of the Kali classes the school offers. Thanks

Latest Discussions