Start 'em young

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does any one here think the system being taught should be a factor in how old some one should be to start? If so, should the curriculum be altered?

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yes at our school we teach simplified forms to children as they don't understand adult forms. also some dangerous techniques are taken out. children earn children's rank and when they go into the adult class they have to work back up to where they were

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
dmdfromhamilton said:
yes at our school we teach simplified forms to children as they don't understand adult forms. also some dangerous techniques are taken out. children earn children's rank and when they go into the adult class they have to work back up to where they were
How old are they when they move to the "adult class"? Do they start over at white belt?

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
usually 13 thugh really depending on how mature they are we have had 12 year olds join (rarely though) And no they still wear thier old belt until they qualify and test for the adults rank after their children's rank

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
dmdfromhamilton said:
usually 13 thugh really depending on how mature they are we have had 12 year olds join (rarely though) And no they still wear thier old belt until they qualify and test for the adults rank after their children's rank
My instructor would start teaching children at 5. The only major change I noticed was he would add "tips" or degrees to every belt level. This would give the kids a goal to achieve and would take them longer to actually progress in rank. The school I trained at was very "hard hitting" and time consuming so the addition of these "tips" would put a child at about blue or maybe green belt when they were 12 or 13. We didn't have any one under 16 in the adult classes. He said he wouldn't promote any one to BB until they were at least 16.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Does any one here think the system being taught should be a factor in how old some one should be to start? If so, should the curriculum be altered?
Excellent question! From what I've observed of the TSD class, they do a lot of "life skills" for the really young kids such as making sure they know their phone numbers, emergency info like 911, keep a safe distance from strangers, etc. They also do real TSD and the instructors ensure the stances/strikes/blocks/kicks are proper. There is a lot of activity within short blocks of time to keep their attention.

Miles

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
He he, in her first class, my younger daughter learned how to make a good fist and to punch Last night she was working on hitting a dummy in various vital points.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
He he, in her first class, my younger daughter learned how to make a good fist and to punch Last night she was working on hitting a dummy in various vital points.
Good for her glad she like it keep her going!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions