Stares and them Glares

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to see people staring/glaring/eyeballing others (and sometimes me) from time to time for no reason. They are of the same gender and age group (not talking about crush stalkers). Is this generally an indication that a Monkey Dance may take place soon, or that the starer is looking for a fight? Also, what is the best way to handle (de-esculate) a situation like this? Ignoring the dude has always worked for me...

Another reason I posted is to discuss the psychology behind this. Is this action typically rooted in insecurity in one's strength? Or is the starer simply looking for a reason to beat someone senseless?

Also, is this always the sign of a MD, or could it be something more serious (in rare cases)?

That's a challenge! Look an upperbelt in the eye and BAM! Challenge accepted... Game set and match...

Maybe there nervous, or curious, or just don't know what to do and assume your doing it correctly

I think hardly of it yet usually in class its common with new students for reasons I listed above and maybe other reasons
I always get tempted to puff up my chest and seem like the tough guy (i can almost remember some of those times... Good times)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
can't look any belt in the eyes cos we don't wear them ;)

but know where you're coming from which is also why full contact is to be avoided unless you decide to go and investigate and swap pleasantries before the $%^& hits the fan - like i said you might even make some unlikely allies too ;)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
things to say if you're feeling in the mood when someone asks the question "what are you looking at ?" response "i don't know but it's looking back !" --- guaranteed kick off ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to see people staring/glaring/eyeballing others (and sometimes me) from time to time for no reason. They are of the same gender and age group (not talking about crush stalkers). Is this generally an indication that a Monkey Dance may take place soon, or that the starer is looking for a fight? Also, what is the best way to handle (de-esculate) a situation like this? Ignoring the dude has always worked for me...

Another reason I posted is to discuss the psychology behind this. Is this action typically rooted in insecurity in one's strength? Or is the starer simply looking for a reason to beat someone senseless?

Also, is this always the sign of a MD, or could it be something more serious (in rare cases)?

It could be a number of things. The guy could be looking for a fight, the guy could be hoping that his staring, pisses you off enough to start something. IMO, the best way to de-escalate, is to not feed into what he's doing. Just ignore the guy. Of course, there have been times, when I've stared back. The results of this have ranged from them stopping, to them, asking ME if I have a problem! LOL! Imagine that....i'm minding my own business, like I always do, YOU stare at me, I look back, and YOU ask if I have the problem. That happened to me one evening as I was out walking my dog. I live in a condo, so as I'm walking around the complex, a car, with 2 guys in it, passes by slowly. The passenger looks at me, so me, thinking that it might be someone that knew me, but I just didn't recognize, looks back. Car kept going, I kept going, and suddenly, from behind, I hear, "Do you have a ****ing problem?" I stop, turn around, and reply, "Nope, do you?" Big mouth said nothing and got back in the car, either because he didn't get the desired result he was looking for...no, I wasn't about to apologize for looking at him...or he was intimidated by the size of my dog.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Little smile and nod then put your sight somewhere else always work for me :)
Just don't stare back even when you're smiling...
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
can't look any belt in the eyes cos we don't wear them ;)

but know where you're coming from which is also why full contact is to be avoided unless you decide to go and investigate and swap pleasantries before the $%^& hits the fan - like i said you might even make some unlikely allies too ;)

Unless your belt has googly eyes glued on it