Stance Set

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stance Set is a Purple Belt set. Would it not be "logical" for it to be in an earlier belt's curiculuum?

Probably would make more sense to have it earlier ... but as I look back at all the material there is to absorb early in the system ... there is a lot of 'stuff' to learn and schedule through the first year or two ... perhaps the stance set got pushed back because of all the 'stuff'.

In my schools curriculum, the kicking set is listed as a requirement to receive an orange belt. However, nobody does this until later in the purple or blue. I do think my instructor moved the stance set up to orange.

Mike

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Stance Set is a Purple Belt set. Would it not be "logical" for it to be in an earlier belt's curiculuum?

I think you need to consider the fact that there is a lot of material available. After a while the yellow Belt could be "front end loaded" with a lot of different basics, kicks, stances, etc., so much that your wouldn't need the next 2 or 3 colored belts. :)

The material was "spread out" over the first few belt ranks so as to not saturate the first couple of belts. There are several areas that could be rearranged but in the end it was a prioritization of material that led to the current format... not to say that it could be re-evaluated in the future.

Another idea is that sometimes a set like the stance set is better off "later" since the student would now have a little knowledge of "stances" (in this case) and now be better able to continue and look "deeper" into the stances for better form and movement.

:asian:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor teaches Stance Set immediately upon earning Yellow, as an Orange Belt requirement (actually for Yellow+stripe).

In my humble opinion, I'd teach Stance Set from the first class, and along with Star Block, before a student begins learning any techniques.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey seig...

we do star block from horse stance, starting with fist at hips as: out, in, up, down, back to hip, push down, back... first right then left.

i'm not familiar with blocking set... please describe if it's easy enough, or point me to a site with the movements if one exists.

thanks,
pete.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by pete
hey seig...

we do star block from horse stance, starting with fist at hips as: out, in, up, down, back to hip, push down, back... first right then left.

i'm not familiar with blocking set... please describe if it's easy enough, or point me to a site with the movements if one exists.

thanks,
pete.
Pete,
When I was under a Tracy Off-Shoot, we did the exact same thing you are doing. Blocking Set I is the base, the way we teach it (and were taught it) is, Salutation-Up-In-Extended Out-Down-Rear Elbow-Push Down(R-L). We also do everything on both sides, so after completing the first side, we bring our hands back to the salutation posture and begin again, starting with the left side and then finish with the Sets salutation

OP
R

rmcrobertson

For Blocking Set 1: from a meditating horse stance, begin with a right upward block--right inward block--right extended outward block--right downward block--right back elbow--right push-down. Repeat on the left.

Then, repeat the sequence of blocks with both hands at once.

Then, repeat the sequence but alternaate hands: right upward--left inward--right ext. outward, etc.

Then, begin with your left hand down in a push down block and your right hand up in an upward block; repeat the blocking sequence with the hands moving in opposite directions through the sequence at the same time, the right hand going in the previous order and the left hand doing the blocks in reverse order.

End by repeating this with the left hand up and the right hand push-down, to start...

Preview of coming attractions--one of Mr. Tatum's upcoming Tips of the Week will examine the uses of deflecting blocks, which helps bring out some of the blocks and other moves, "hidden," within Blocking Set 1.

Hope this helps.

Latest Discussions