Spreading Branch

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I beleive it was created when the system was broken down into the 24 technique series. More techniques were needed to fill the gaps. Circling the Storm was on of them. I beleive it was taken from the forms. It works the hinges and different checking principles and can be used on the front or rear of the opponent.

Can you validate this?

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
It must be the Arizona heat...:rofl:

Didn't you read the quote? or is the only explanation for that technique NOT following the weapons rule chocked up to the "Exception Rule"?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
to my knowledge..... I'm not sure where the additional techniques came from "exactly" but I do know that Ed Parker would not insert anything that he didn't want.

As to the specifics of the technique yes there is always a possibility for a change of rules...........

As an example............ in the Yellow Belt we have a initial saying that goes....... "Deflection then inflection of pain" don't we.

Well in the advanced phase that is changed to .... "Deflection "with" inflection of pain"

So yes there is always exceptions to the rules sooner or later..... maybe you haven't went over some of these yet....... I don't know.

:asian:

R

rmcrobertson

In my little chunk o' kenpo, Spreading Branches was removed--perhaps because of the toll it levied on white belts.

However, it survives, virtually unchanged, embedded in a two-man technique, "Reprimanding the Bears."

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Spreading Branches was removed--perhaps because of the toll it levied on white belts.

What toll? Spreading Branch was taken from Reprimanding the Bears, rather than the reverse. Remember yellow belt was created last.

Let's get back to the toll... What kind of toll are you talking about? I found that my students have an easier time doing Spreading Branch than they do Captured Twigs!

Can you clarify for me what toll you are talking about?:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have done them both and I found it harder to do Spreading Branch than Captured Twigs. Personaly I think both should be taught at some time, they both have uses.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
What did you find hard about the technique?

I find that with beginners that they are "afraid" to move their training partner in fear of hurting them. Also they are leary of their physical control with the knee shot. Sometimes its just a break in the motion that throws them off.

Did you experience any of the above?:asian:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only trouble I've had with Spreading Branch is the right overhead elbow at the end. My right arm usually gets trapped with the attackers left arm and I find it hard to get my arm out.

I've never had any trouble with Captured Twigs, it's a pretty easy one to get.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only trouble I've had with Spreading Branch is the right overhead elbow at the end. My right arm usually gets trapped with the attackers left arm and I find it hard to get my arm out.

Did Mr. Scornavacco go over with you anyways to fix that hiccup with the elbow? It's usually just a timing thing.

Does he still teach Captured Twigs?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

Did Mr. Scornavacco go over with you anyways to fix that hiccup with the elbow? It's usually just a timing thing.

Does he still teach Captured Twigs?

He's been trying to get it through my noggin, but as you said it is a timing thing. I just need to practice it more.

No he doesn't teach Captured Twigs, at least it's not in his curriculum, but he's said if you want to learn he'll teach it to you. I learned it from my first kenpo instructor many years ago.

R

rmcrobertson

Fair enough about the sequence of events, but I'd be interested to see your authority for it--just so I'll know which came first.

Generally speaking, I guess it seems to me unwise to teach beginners techniques that end with elbows to the back of the neck, and I agree it's hard to get that elbow out of there.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough about the sequence of events, but I'd be interested to see your authority for it--just so I'll know which came first.

Authority? Like who told me about which technique came first?

If that is your question then it was Mr. Planas, Wedlake, and Trejo.:D

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

1. Pin attacker's arm to your body with your left hand. Step back to 7:30 into a left forward bow as your right leg buckles his left leg as you do a right back hammerfist to the groin.

2. Deliver a right back-knuckle to attacker's face.

3. Grab attacker's head with both arms, right hand on top.

4. Pull attacker's head toward 1:30 into a right knee to the face.

5. Land forward into a right neutral bow with a right inward overhead elbow to upper spine or base of the skull. Left arm continues to press against his shoulder or head.

My problem is I seem to forget the back-knuckle all the time and I have trouble with the over head elbow,my arm gets stuck between me and the attacker.

From my experience, if someone really grabs you number one will not be possible. One of the reasons this technique idea was dropped from the yellow belt list.

Latest Discussions