Splashing Hands Kung Fu

OP
M

mikeXedge

White Belt
Reaction score
we actually do a few wing chun drills... the sticky hands that we practice is pretty closely related to the wing chun chi sao i've seen...

chris lomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi chaps,
I'm the guy in the footage (I put it up as a few people wanted to see basics). If anyone has any questions about the system I am always happy to respond (By the by my website is www.splashinghand.com). For those who picked up on the similarity to Tombei, I agree the handwork does have a similar (if more linear) power generation.
MikeXEdge who is your teacher? What is his background in the art? (by the by, the hands should extend fully to use tendon power and explode through the opponent, the kicks should raise high in practice as possible to explode through the kneecap/groin with maximum power).
Finally pretty soon I have some commercial dvds coming out on the advanced (animal) forms of the system. My teacher Laoshi McNeil asked me to make these tapes to keep the system alive. Traditionally these have been indoor forms so for Splashing Hands practisioners the fact that these are comming out is somewhat momentous (despite my terrified looking teaching methods!).

Best
Chris

chris lomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ps Sorry just noticed you posted his name. Who was your teachers teacher?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi chaps,
I'm the guy in the footage (I put it up as a few people wanted to see basics). If anyone has any questions about the system I am always happy to respond (By the by my website is www.splashinghand.com). For those who picked up on the similarity to Tombei, I agree the handwork does have a similar (if more linear) power generation.
MikeXEdge who is your teacher? What is his background in the art? (by the by, the hands should extend fully to use tendon power and explode through the opponent, the kicks should raise high in practice as possible to explode through the kneecap/groin with maximum power).
Finally pretty soon I have some commercial dvds coming out on the advanced (animal) forms of the system. My teacher Laoshi McNeil asked me to make these tapes to keep the system alive. Traditionally these have been indoor forms so for Splashing Hands practisioners the fact that these are comming out is somewhat momentous (despite my terrified looking teaching methods!).

Best
Chris

Thanks for jumping in. I always appreciate some info on an unusual and little-known art.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have any videos of the full contact training or sparring of this system? I would be very interested in seeing how it is applied with another person.

Thanks for all the info so far. I believe there have been other threads on this art.....the search feature would tell if I'm right :) However I do not think they went well, I'm glad to see this one going well and providing good information.

7sm

OP
M

mikeXedge

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Best
Chris

my teacher is sifu launi jacobsen... he trained under master Lefiti... i've actually talked to McNeil through email a little bit... Mcneil says he doesn't know Launi and Launi says he doesn't know Mcneil... it seems that they would have had to train with eachother considering Lefiti only handed out a few black belts... launi has pictures of him with the original members of Lefitis schools...
but then agian there are obvious differences between your splashing hands and mine... The full extension with the kicks is the same in my school... but we are taught to keep our hands in close and you use more internal...
is that the RA form that you are doing in that video... i'd like to see more...
my sifu also stopped using belts or sashes of anykind... but so far i've learned the ten browns... and two monkeys... one dragon... the RA form and Julong... Julong was the for Launi had to make for his black belt test...

chris lomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
7* Have seom footage from a regular full contact class somewhere will try to look it out, we try to spar full out at least once a week.

MikeXedge I see, yes I didn't think I reconised him from Sifus list of the seven (no offence). Still we can always check we read from the same page, I would love to see one of the animal forms from your style (any of them) - can you get him to perform some (no matter how slow or whatever). This way we can check how similar lineages are (everything else was realised on tape in the 1980s by my teacher so unscrupulous person could copy). So if the animals are performed the same then that would imply BB qualification

Or maybe he can say what year(s) he trained with Tiny...?

PS my teacher has loads of details about his original training under Huame; cine film of him in his early 20s doing the Browns/sections, with brothers performing at competitions, his certificate, saluting at Tinys funeral ect etc + you can ask people like Doug Wong who also had some training with Huame if uncertain.

I am only careful because I have met three of my teachers 'Brothers' so far (at great personal expense) - all of whom only knew the material on his instructional DVDs (including 'mistakes' on the tapes)!!! so please don't be offended if I don't automatically take your teacher as is (I really hope he is another Tiny student as I would love to see more of the system and meet one of my uncles someday).

Best Chris

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be awesome, I've lately been really interested in seeing aplpications of various people and their training.

7sm

chris lomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MikeXEdge,
Can I re-ask when your teacher trained, his approximate age or maybe some contact details? If yours is a geniune Splashing Hands BB instructors then that is great, i would love to meet an uncle (though he certainly isn't in the 8 BBs my sifu sent me a list of) - but there are so many fakes who attended the school briefly and/or learnt off DVDs and before my Animal DVDs come out I would like to verify all the geniune 'lineages' (it is harder (not impossible) the more material is out there in the public).

7* Couldn't find footage (must have deleted it), give me a week or so (when I next borrow a camcorder) and I'll post some,
Best
Chris

chris lomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
7* + anyone interested,
This is a clip I took in a 'average' class a couple of month ago (because I was going to a promotional thing the next day). I was reticent about putting this up so please keep it in that context. It is drilling in a (friendly) line (not sparring - again I will tape some soon) with random attacks (supposedly anything, though in this case mainly punches) coming from the people on the left hand side. Just a way of drilling basic inital responses (from hands down in case we haven't the luxury of a guard) if someone else has the jump on you. It is sometimes good to drill against 'non kung fu' style attacks from people who don't respond to a strike with a block but simply continue to attack so we do this as a useful adjunct to sparring. Some of these guys have less then three months so cut them some slack:)

http://www.manchesterkungfu.com/footage/splashingline.wmv

Best
Chris

PS I only edited out some chatting bits where the line fell apart, the original footage was only 1:56 long so it isn't 'cherry picked'.

Latest Discussions