South american martial arts style (more infos welcome)

K

KickingDago

venezuela:
broma
garrote larense
Sanjal

Argentina:
esgrima criolla

Brazil:
batuque
Makulele
luta livre
Panmo
Tayando
capoeira

even if not south american i've also heard of martial arts from mexico such as lucha libre and cuchillo mexicano, i've also seen some footage of bare fist boxing in peru'. let me know if anyone has more infos about it.

thank u

OP
H

Hu Ren Qianzai Long

Whatever they are, they're going to my list:) :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw this art referred to recently as a mixture of capoeira, BJJ, and (Western) boxing. The web pages I found were in Portuguese, however.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

I had no idea about all of these Martial Arts.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

correct me if im wrong but isnt, lucha libre... just the mexican version of WWE????

OP
H

Humble artist

Lucha libre/luta livre is more like bjj without gi.
A wrestling art,yes.

What I´ve heard of other Brazilian arts besides these famous ones is that they are some kind of karate spin-offs mostly. :)

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

Sorry I don't have names for these, but I speak more spanglish than spanish.
One of the ones I saw was a chilean style that looked like aiki jujitsu chin-na, pressure points. and boxing. I only saw this guy about twice, and our accents are too thick to comprehend each other (mine is probably too american). The other style I have seen is from the chiapas area. It was more along the lines of a okinowan kobudo/philipino martialarts mix mix.

Sorry I don't have any more info but as I said earlier my spanish isn't exactly good.

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

oh, both of these guys were also farmers from the more rural regions of both countries.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current issue of Budo Intl. (June 2003) includes an article on Capoeira Gerais of Minas (Brazil).

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to revive dead thread, but I had to reply to this.

The other style I have seen is from the chiapas area. It was more along the lines of a okinowan kobudo/philipino martialarts mix mix.

What was the style called? More about it?

I was a peace observer in chiapas for two weeks and did not see anything like a native martial style.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lucha libre/luta livre is more like bjj without gi.
A wrestling art,yes.
correct. Lucha Libre is a grappling style that puts more emphasis on leg locks, than chokes and arm locks.

Any Chilean systems? We really have nothing at all from the West Coast of South America.
I don't know if it can be considered a martial art, and I dont know the name..........but....there is a ritual fight in the andes mountains of chile where combatants where traditional head gear and wrapped hands, then pound on each other until blood is shed for the gods. They are drunk when they do it, so I guess we'd have to call saloon fights a martial art if we called this a MA. however, there is religious aspects of it, they wear ritualized gear, and there might be a boxing regiment before the fight.

I'll try to find out more though...

OP
S

Snowmeow

Some more Brazilian Styles:
Ami-Jitsu
Asamco
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Equi-do
Hiep Khi Dao (Viet Vo Dao style)
Juki-Do
Kildo Self Defense