Some Quotes on Preservation of Rights

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a rather long discussion elsewhere on the erosion of rights in the US.

Most people take the easy route not only in failing to defend their rights, but in not being proactive politically to stop them from being eroded.

Here're a few thoughts on this:

Democracy cannot be forced upon a society, neither is it a gift that can be held forever. It has to be struggled hard for and defended everyday anew.
Heinz Galinski

As a rule, dictatorships guarantee safe streets and terror of the doorbell. In democracy the streets may be unsafe after dark, but the most likely visitor in the early hours will be the milkman.
Adam Michnik

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any.
Alice Walker

If liberty and equality are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost.
Aristotle

A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election.
Bill Vaughan

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
Edmund Burke

He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
Erasmus Darwin, grandfather of Charles Darwin

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.
Frederick Douglass

I could go on, but you get the idea.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh yeah I get the idea.

This one made me shake my head and wonder... the first part of the quote...
Democracy cannot be forced upon a society,
Heinz Galinski
You'd think that our government would've recognized that in Iraq by now.

If they don't want it... don't give it to them.

Same goes with the saying: "He who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

:asian:

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You get the government you deserve. Too many sheep too lazy to stand up and fight. Too many sorry fat lazy bastards allowing too many greedy fat bastards to have their way without challenge.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the particular "rights deprivations" yall have personally experienced? Besides airport security (and I seldom fly anyways), my life hasnt changed in any perceptible way.

And is there any evidence that things are any different now than they were in our countries history. Intertnment in WWII...suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War etc.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just flew recently and it was one of the worst experience I have ever endured. You couldn't take a deep breath without three TSA people looking like they where ready to jump on you and take you off to a small room for hours of random questions...

Latest Discussions