So I'm kind of confused what to do here.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well just look at how Bruce Lee trained. He would be doing drills with the Wing Chun dummy while his friends would go out for pizza and when they got back he would say he's almost done before switching to his other hand.
Yeah and he died when he was 32

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well just look at how Bruce Lee trained. He would be doing drills with the Wing Chun dummy while his friends would go out for pizza and when they got back he would say he's almost done before switching to his other hand.

I am not Bruce Lee and it is impossible for me to be him. Even Bruce Lee himself would tell me don't try to be me, try to be you.

That's not to say I can't be good as well, but when I do it will be me, with my own mannerism and quirks Just as he had his own.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not Bruce Lee and it is impossible for me to be him. Even Bruce Lee himself would tell me don't try to be me, try to be you.
True, there is only one Bruce Lee and there always will be only one but that's not to say that he didn't set an excellent example for somebody who wants to be the best they can be in the martial arts and that he is an inspiration to anybody who wants to excel, not only in martial arts but in anything in life.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unless I've missed it somewhere in a different thread, IronBear hasn't said anything about bodybuilding. Weightlifting is a training method used by bodybuilders, but it's not exclusive to them. I'd venture to say that most people who do weightlifting are not bodybuilders.
You are correct. I I said bodybuilder because of the way he speaks of reaching his weight lifting goal. It makes me think of someone who is trying to gain mass

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
your sifu is a moron. he limits you and his style or school or whatever seems to be a fake martial art. i guess, you're paying alot, like other students and he promises a lot like super hero powers, when you stay long enough.
i even let the beginners kids spar lightly and it went well. as teacher no matter what style, i always had the goal that my students actually learn how to fight.
go join a real martial art or combat sport.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but having lots of muscles mass is absolutely a benefit in fighting. That's why we have weight classes.
I don't like weight classes. I guess it's because as a child I've fought against people much bigger than me and have won. They had the weight but my size allowed me to have excellent speed in comparison. I was still able to land hard shots as well. Even now, when I spar against someone, I rather for the person to be taller, bigger, or heavier than me. I agree that muscle mass helps, but if a person doesn't know how to use that mass then it's no biggy.

I like the fact that the Gracies were able to show that size helps but it isn't everything.

Last edited:
OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
your sifu is a moron. he limits you and his style or school or whatever seems to be a fake martial art. i guess, you're paying alot, like other students and he promises a lot like super hero powers, when you stay long enough.
i even let the beginners kids spar lightly and it went well. as teacher no matter what style, i always had the goal that my students actually learn how to fight.

It's so weird. Yesterday that comment would have pissed me off but now it's like it has no effect on me.

I appreciate your opinion but I will not make a decision on that alone, I have to sit down and talk to the guy, present him with my goals and training requests, and depending on how that goes I will make my decision.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im paying 90 dollars a month, compared to the other places in my area that's nothing. We have a TKD dojo here that never spars, well they do, but it is point sparring only.

They also charge like 150 a month.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you kids can spar lightly with control then it's ok to keep letting them spar. But if they are sparring without control and are injuring other students then it only makes sense to pull that student until they get some control. It's not good when your martial arts brothers and sisters are suffering because someone can't control their power or strength. Sparring is for learning, not for injuring.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you kids can spar lightly with control then it's ok to keep letting them spar. But if they are sparring without control and are injuring other students then it only makes sense to pull that student until they get some control. It's not good when your martial arts brothers and sisters are suffering because someone can't control their power or strength. Sparring is for learning, not for injuring.

just tipping with the fists below the face and the foots on the outside tigh. was no problem. looked like those cute small kids doing tkd sparring one can sometimes see in internet videos. one shouldn't make things too complicateted.
whatever from what the op wrote first, it seems to be not more like a mcdojo.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
just tipping with the fists below the face and the foots on the outside tigh. was no problem. looked like those cute small kids doing tkd sparring one can sometimes see in internet videos. one shouldn't make things too complicateted.
whatever from what the op wrote first, it seems to be not more like a mcdojo.

The context here is he did let me spar. And I hurt someone pretty bad, he said I have to learn control. It's not like I will never spar again.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's so weird. Yesterday that comment would have pissed me off but now it's like it has no effect on me.

I appreciate your opinion but I will not make a decision on that alone, I have to sit down and talk to the guy, present him with my goals and training requests, and depending on how that goes I will make my decision.
To this point has your Sifu told you anything wrong in regards to training or fighting?

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
maybe its less your fault you hurt the partner, than his.
how does he want to teach you the control? by stopping techniques right before a pad or bag? than its fine. by just doing techniques into the air? uhm... not surprising then.
also this is a fight sport, so things like that happen. i didn't always blame others when they accidently hit me hard.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
To this point has your Sifu told you anything wrong in regards to training or fighting?

The only thing I don't like is we don't spar as often as I'd like. Everything else seems very good stuff.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
maybe its less your fault you hurt the partner, than his.
how does he want to teach you the control? by stopping techniques right before a pad or bag? than its fine. by just doing techniques into the air? uhm... not surprising than.
also this is a fight sport, so things like that happen. i didn't always blame others when they accidently hit me hard.

He says give them bruises, not make the double over in crippling pain.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Practice control just like anything else. On the bag. You should be able to pop out a strike and stop it at the surface of the bag, with minimal contact, or at the surface with moderate contact, or strike through with heavy contact.
Yes, when both people are moving and neither is perfect (and nobody is ever perfect) heavier than intended contact will happen. But it should be the exception, not the rule.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
and one shouldn't prohibit someone from sparring (with the explanation its way too early) from one incident. instead one should teach how to do it better. i stick to it: mcdojo.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sounds like he does what I do in sparring classes the process of getting bruises is part of the conditioning and makes the body harder. The bruising usually occurs in areas that are hit during fighting. It's like customized body conditioning that matches your method of fighting. For example, I often get hit in the gut during sparring and as a result I'm able to take hard shots that normally bend my classmates over. I have gotten to the point now where I can use my stomach to jam front heel kicks.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
and one shouldn't prohibit someone from sparring (with the explanation its way too early) from one incident. instead one should teach how to do it better. i stick to it: mcdojo.

Question then, are you referring to heavy full contact sparring? Or light sparring?

The difference in level of sparring matters.

If a student is injured by your lack of control you owe it to other students to learn control first. After all you spar to learn stuff, your sparring showed you that initially you need to learn control. So learn control... then figure out what you need to learn next.