Skipping training out of laziness

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some days I should just not respond to what people are saying in the threads lol.

I think Gerry gave birth before lol. I could be wrong. Lets see what my Bing AI says:

"Yes, itā€™s possible for men to become pregnant and give birth to children of their own. Letā€™s explore this further:" - Bing AI - Source: Healthline.com

"Emerging technologies, such as uterus transplants, may make it possible for assigned male at birth (AMAB) individuals to carry a child in the future." - Bing AI - Source:Healthline.com

Well there you have it lol. Crazy on top of Crazy.
Hey, the only thing I've ever given birth to is some questionable ideas.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post makes no sense.

And your website appears broken, it's taking minutes to respond. You should upgrade your provider.
Nothing wrong with my provider - probably just a broken website. Covid shut down my program years ago, and I haven't been bothered to change my signature or do anything with the website.

As for not making sense, I'm sure it doesn't - to you.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much every physician, physiologist, kinesiologist, (the list goes on) disagrees with you.
I agree with you but give us a universal, 100% accurate indicator of pain for everyone. You can't because it is different for everyone.
My previous Ortho (retired) said it is by far the hardest thing to diagnose. A boo-boo can elicit the same amount of 'pain' as cutting off a finger for another person.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I give birth then something went really wrong.

Regarding women who experience pain during birth, itā€™s not a matter of whatā€™s ā€œrightā€ or ā€œwrong.ā€ The human body operates within specific limits and balances. When those limits are exceeded, the body often signals through pain. It serves as an alert to either ease off or indicates that damage has occurred and where. The act of giving birth itself isnā€™t wrong. However, conditions like perineal tears, nerve damage, long-term pelvic pain, and muscle damage are common occurrences, and pain serves as a signal that something may be amiss.

This is what sometimes happens to those who cannot feel pain.

If you don't believe that guy. Listen straight from the people who don't experience pain

So when you say that Pain has no purpose, this is what it really means to be without out.
You are taking the subject Way out of context.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are some great thoughts being shared here. Some dubious ones too, but the world is full of all kinds of weird and wonderful happenings.

In gyms there were a great number of men who ignored the pain and ended up being side-lined for extended periods. My job was to advise them on sound exercise practices and the best course of action for them as individuals. I cannot count the number of men who got injured because they failed to take the advice and pushed on just the same. Over and over again I saw the same pattern of behaviour repeated with the same outcomes. Afterwards the guys would say "I wish I'd listened to your advice as I'm in too much pain to train"

I've seen the same thing in martial arts too, especially the competition forms such as karate.

Boxing is another place where the men keep on pushing themselves to the point of injury which can lead to long periods of inaction, or sometimes to a place where they can never train again. One of my old buddies can no longer breathe correctly due to damaged sustained from having his nose busted enough times that it has permanently affected his health - he coaches boxing and tries to advise the youngsters, but they still think they're bulletproof.

It seems some jukeboxes continue to play the same old tunes šŸ˜„

Last edited:

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with my provider - probably just a broken website. Covid shut down my program years ago, and I haven't been bothered to change my signature or do anything with the website.

As for not making sense, I'm sure it doesn't - to you.
No, I mean this website. It's taking minutes to load but only when I'm logged in. Otherwise it's fast. Weird.

Your post doesn't make sense to me because I was saying "no pain no gain" has nothing to do with training through injury, but at least three people seem to think it is.

People on this site seem to want to talk right past each other. My reading comprehension is strong. I'm wondering why others are struggling.

Training through injury is foolish, but that's not what "soldiering on" or "no pain no gain" even means. And thinking it's some sort of toxic male identity thing ironic, considering how many lives it's saved.

Imagine if we taught our fighters to just give up when the pain starts, for their health. We would all be screwed in that timeline.

Consider the word "martialing". If you've never been martialed, maybe this is alien to you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are taking the subject Way out of context.
How so? Someone asked had I given birth then I showed real world example of people don't feel pain as a way to show that pain has a purpose and that it's useful. So the next time someone says train through the pain think about it. Maybe listening to the pain is better than pushing through it.

what may be taken as slacking off may be a valid reason to ease up with training.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I mean this website. It's taking minutes to load but only when I'm logged in. Otherwise it's fast. Weird.

Your post doesn't make sense to me because I was saying "no pain no gain" has nothing to do with training through injury, but at least three people seem to think it is.

People on this site seem to want to talk right past each other. My reading comprehension is strong. I'm wondering why others are struggling.

Training through injury is foolish, but that's not what "soldiering on" or "no pain no gain" even means. And thinking it's some sort of toxic male identity thing ironic, considering how many lives it's saved.

Imagine if we taught our fighters to just give up when the pain starts, for their health. We would all be screwed in that timeline.

Consider the word "martialing". If you've never been martialed, maybe this is alien to you.
Are you younger than 45?

Glaeken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was a military surgeon.
What kind of doctor? Iā€™m not attempting to be combative, just curious.
I'm not anymore, but I can give examples all day long of these pain is not a signal something is wrong.

Bright light.
Concert noise.
Stomach gas.
Most headaches.
Your calf muscles after leg day.

Specificity theory.

I think I'm talking over peoples heads. None of them seem to understand. Never said my bedside manner was any good but this is pain 101.

Most pain is an illusion, a figment of the mind, unrelated to anything physical, and definitely holds back good training.

Google "phantom pain" if you don't believe me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm learning to keep my thoughts short.
OIG2.RBHUF_4o3jtuv91JYV5e

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a military surgeon.

I'm not anymore, but I can give examples all day long of these pain is not a signal something is wrong.

Bright light.
Concert noise.
Stomach gas.
Most headaches.
Your calf muscles after leg day.

Specificity theory.

I think I'm talking over peoples heads. None of them seem to understand. Never said my bedside manner was any good but this is pain 101.

Most pain is an illusion, a figment of the mind, unrelated to anything physical, and definitely holds back good training.

Google "phantom pain" if you don't believe me.
What branch and when, if you donā€™t mind me asking.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Specificity theory.
I read this and did some research on it and I'm not sure how you think this supports what you are saying. The theory has been discreditied. And if you are referring to Phantom limb pain being all in your mind. Here's what is said about why that happens

What Causes Phantom Pain?:

This is a common statement about Specificity Theory:

"while the specificity theory was an early model of pain perception, it has been discredited by empirical evidence and our evolving understanding of pain."
Basically it no longer holds value beyond historical. Which is probably why it's still a Theory. One that was proven incorrect.

Latest Discussions