Skill developement?

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I notice that whenever I'm sparring with my friends, I often find it difficult to apply WC techniques effectively. I'm guessing it's because I'm either bad at anticipating my opponent, I have slow reaction speeds, or a mixture of both.

During a sparring session, I'm always trying to block and hit at the same time, but I often find that very difficult to pull off and often resort to the common 1-2 beat of block and punch. My body's already getting used to simultaneous attack and defence, but under pressure, it seems to elude me.

Any advice?

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i think that practise is the only way you really develop this skill, perhaps your sifu could guide you in this matter as he probably knows you well enough to see where you are going wrong

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
one way to guage your reaction time is to have a friend hold up a long ruler by one end at the 100 end of the ruler, he drops the ruler in his own time you must catch the ruler between your finger and thumb so have your finger and thumb open at the 0 end of the rule, so the larger the number is where you catch the ruler the slower your reactions are, this way you can measure your improvement... hope this is of some help

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The forms are a bit different when applied to actual opponent contact. It doesn't have to be hit/block, block/hit, hit/block. It can be block/block, hit/block, hit/hit, hit/palm strike and you can even attack with a single arm and do nothing with the other arm except have it chambered and waiting. WC does teach to use both sides evenly but I don't believe it should be taken 100% literally when applying it in a fight. Keeping both arms working double actions all the time is like having a song that has nothing but whole notes in it. Half notes would be equivalent to throwing a single action out there. So if you're initial contact is a typical WC motion with a block/hit and then you follow with a left arm block, then a right arm center line punch afterwards and then continue with more double attacks, thats fine. I believe WC has taught double attacks to condition the mind to work both sides evenly and to teach it how to multi-task. If you can control both sides well enough, you should be able to adjust the speed of each half to match what ever is thrown at you.

If you're playing with someone of a different MA background, try slowing down. I noticed this made a huge difference with me a few days ago. I really slowed my motions down and they matched my friends attacks. He was getting so mad because there wasn't a way in and all I kept doing was stepping in and knocking him off of his foundation. I think we're used to faster moving opponents and the slow ones will throw us off :p

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My advice is to go on the offensive. I had this same problem when I sparred with some pro boxers. They beat me on power and speed every time whne I played their game. The beautiful thing about wing chun is that it is explosive and powerful when done in close quarters. Get in close, use your bridges.

The other trick I use is to counter attack immediately when I am being hit
People tend to over comit in their attacks leaving openings. I will often 'trick' people into giving me an over committed strike and then use a more profficient counter attack. Once I'm in I'm in

Good luck

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My advice is to go on the offensive. I had this same problem when I sparred with some pro boxers. They beat me on power and speed every time whne I played their game. The beautiful thing about wing chun is that it is explosive and powerful when done in close quarters. Get in close, use your bridges.

You should go in with whatever the situation calls for and remain agile to the external conditions. If you're opponent is approaching in an offensive manner, go defensive...but keep your eye searching for the opening. Once you got it, turn the tables and explode offensively. If the foe wants to play a defensive game, hold your place, remain square and use whatever approach makes you comfortable. WC IS known as a very offensive style but it has almost just as much defense inter-weaved into the attacks.

The other trick I use is to counter attack immediately when I am being hit
People tend to over comit in their attacks leaving openings. I will often 'trick' people into giving me an over committed strike and then use a more profficient counter attack. Once I'm in I'm in

Good luck

What do you do to get someone to over commit? Kinda like jumping in and then back?

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
You should go in with whatever the situation calls for and remain agile to the external conditions. If you're opponent is approaching in an offensive manner, go defensive...but keep your eye searching for the opening. Once you got it, turn the tables and explode offensively. If the foe wants to play a defensive game, hold your place, remain square and use whatever approach makes you comfortable. WC IS known as a very offensive style but it has almost just as much defense inter-weaved into the attacks.

What do you do to get someone to over commit? Kinda like jumping in and then back?

Sounds dangerous....like a lot of practice.
That's martial arts I guess :asian:

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
During a sparring session, I'm always trying to block and hit at the same time, but I often find that very difficult to pull off and often resort to the common 1-2 beat of block and punch.

Maybe your school or WC teaches differently, but I see no problem with sequential as opposed to simultaneous moves. Just make the interval between 1 and 2 progressively shorter as you improve. Simultaneous strikes usually sacrifice power for speed - you can't get in a good rotation of your hips and shoulders for a good punch if part of your rotation is already being used for the block.

Just my $0.02.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Acording to your CP you have been doing Wing Chun for three months now. So your at what? Lap Sao? Dan Chi Sao? Part of the problem might be you just dont have a deep enough understanding of the tehcnique. Or it might not be fully ingrained in your muscle memory yet. Wait anouther 6 months to a year. Better yet, wait about 4 months after you have started doing full Chi Sao. When you start full Chi Sao, you'll notice you'll have some problems. After a few months, It'll all come together.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, but defensive is not really a good game to play. I have been caught out before by people, because I wwas too static and was trying to anticipate the strikes. There are just some people who are too fast or too good at attacking.

Kind of. It's a bit hard to describe in a forum (and my literature isn't great!). It's very similar to chi sao, you can encourage people to tense up or give you energy they shouldn't be giving (bending over, leaning in etc)
Boxers use similar techniques. It is risky, but if you know what you're doing it is a useful way of fighting

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Nyrotic,

Let me give you some advice.

First off attacking the centerline is an extremely viable method, but also dont forget you should also angle off to a better and more stable structure position. This will allow you more time to react while denying the opponent the same.

But being that you havent been studying for a incredbily long time, I would say take those words to heart but get your Sifu's opinion as well.
Due to when students just start Wing Chun its best to learn the mechanics first and then the concepts will come into play later.

Hope this helps.

take care,
Zach

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree, but defensive is not really a good game to play. I have been caught out before by people, because I wwas too static and was trying to anticipate the strikes. There are just some people who are too fast or too good at attacking.

Being mostly offensive has characteristics of WT and sounds like you probably enjoy chain punching. You're not static if you're anticipating. You're simply that. You want to be static but in a natural way. Sensitivity drills correct this. I don't have a clue what you mean by some are too fast or too good at attacking. That phrase makes it sound like the battle is lost before it has begun. These people that you talk of, are probably more relaxed (if using WC) and more focused. Speed will come with time, you have to slow down before you can become fast.

Kind of. It's a bit hard to describe in a forum (and my literature isn't great!). It's very similar to chi sao, you can encourage people to tense up or give you energy they shouldn't be giving (bending over, leaning in etc)
Boxers use similar techniques. It is risky, but if you know what you're doing it is a useful way of fighting

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Being mostly offensive has characteristics of WT and sounds like you probably enjoy chain punching. You're not static if you're anticipating. You're simply that. You want to be static but in a natural way. Sensitivity drills correct this. I don't have a clue what you mean by some are too fast or too good at attacking. That phrase makes it sound like the battle is lost before it has begun. These people that you talk of, are probably more relaxed (if using WC) and more focused. Speed will come with time, you have to slow down before you can become fast.

On the contrary, I hate chain punching. A lot of wing chunners fall back on this. If you do them right (ie power in each punch) then they can be effective. But if you do them like a flicker of punches then they don't do much for the credibility of the art.

I prefer to use fut sao to chop in and the use a varied combinations of lap sao/pak sao etc

larry

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are practicing the many different wc drills, as well as chi sau, then your reflexes will develop automatically. Eventually, not thinking first your structure/body will react quickly to whatever situation.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Many times, the problem is that you have not "bridged" the Wing Chun skill set to the sparring/fighting skill set.

Here's the thing.

You have Forms practice to teach your body proper, effective and efficient body mechanics for movements associated with combat.

You have choreographed drills that bring some aliveness to the equation and develop many attributes, yet it is still not sparring and not the sparring/fighting mindset.

Then you have alive/unchoreographed drills like Chi Sao to develop further attributes with some more stimuli, more variables, and with more pressure, more of a fighting mindset.

Then you have Chum Kiu drills to close the distance while maintaining structure... almost free sparring/fighting.

So you see, at first you won't have th skills at hand because they are ingrained gradually through correct training and keeping good body mechanics and habits as you progress.

Without progressive and gradual training, you will go back to the skills you have ingrained while in an adrenal/stressed situation. You will tend to loose the biomechanical advantage that Wing Chun teaches.

I suggest that before sparring, you practice drills that add one variable or dimension at a time while "maintaining your Wing Chun".

For example, start out with movement drills, then add one strike attacks and one defender, and switch. Then add other attacks, one by one... untill you have taken away all restrictions and can spar freely.

If every day you perfect one movement or principle application, you are making good progress.

Hope this helps.

Juan M. Mercado

Latest Discussions