situations that teens get into

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Sounds great! Wow, why such a high rate of people who have been mugged? That percentage surprises me!

man it surprised me too.............when i saw the girls of the same year it was way less, maybe 5 or 6 out of about 25....

Maybe TESTOSTERONE based...... I really cant put a finger on it

I am seeing the year younger in a couple of weeks, I think it will be interesting to see how they fair (sp)

looking forward to the next few odf these sessions...before xmas, i hope it helps some of them out

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Teenage men are more likely to be mugged and assaulted than teenage girls? Why? Not sure, perhaps because they think they are tougher? They go looking for danger? Who knows..

Anyway, one things you can do is to ask them what specifics they would like to learn...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
I have a class plan and course plan for the WSD classes and courses and i sot of followed parts of it as it arrose in the class yesterday

approximately this:

run down of course
statistics
what self defense/preservation is
awareness
the perpetrator
avoidance
de escalation
what if and scenarios
potential weapons
Q and A
some basic techniques usually demonstrated (sometimes)

This sounds like a great curriculum. I bet you can cut down on the number of assaults your students face - provided, of course, that they pay attention in class!

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
This sounds like a great curriculum. I bet you can cut down on the number of assaults your students face - provided, of course, that they pay attention in class!

Thanks, i really hope so, as we are coming up to the festive season, i have pushed for the 16 year old girls classes to be brought forward from next year to the next couple of weeks, hopefully some awareness now will prevent and serious situations arrising whilst they are out and about partying etc

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
Thanks, i really hope so, as we are coming up to the festive season, i have pushed for the 16 year old girls classes to be brought forward from next year to the next couple of weeks, hopefully some awareness now will prevent and serious situations arrising whilst they are out and about partying etc
The biggest problems with "partying" is the fact that awareness and reasoning go out the window, when teen alcohol use starts.

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
The biggest problems with "partying" is the fact that awareness and reasoning go out the window, when teen alcohol use starts.

yes, thats true

over here too, they can legally drink at 16, the only advantage is that alco pop type drinks are really expensive

more concerened with the date rape type drug thing and friends slipping drugs into drinks for a laugh.

also safety in numbers and hopefully one will be more sober than the rest, that sort of thing

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
yes, thats true

over here too, they can legally drink at 16, the only advantage is that alco pop type drinks are really expensive

more concerened with the date rape type drug thing and friends slipping drugs into drinks for a laugh.

also safety in numbers and hopefully one will be more sober than the rest, that sort of thing

You deserve praise for tackling these sorts of issues from an MA point of view. So often instructors are too tied up in themselves to appreciate the wider world out there. Awareness and avoidance are two extremely key issues in any martial discipline [whether a physical confrontation is avoided or not] and too often both of these skills are overlooked in favor of bread-and-butter punches/kicks/throws. I take my hat off to you samurai69 for your work with your community [and they sound like they need you!] Instructors like yourself restore one's faith in the ability of the martial arts to actually deliver results in the real world!

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
You deserve praise for tackling these sorts of issues from an MA point of view. So often instructors are too tied up in themselves to appreciate the wider world out there. Awareness and avoidance are two extremely key issues in any martial discipline [whether a physical confrontation is avoided or not] and too often both of these skills are overlooked in favor of bread-and-butter punches/kicks/throws. I take my hat off to you samurai69 for your work with your community [and they sound like they need you!] Instructors like yourself restore one's faith in the ability of the martial arts to actually deliver results in the real world!

Praise indeed, thank you very much.