Sitting defense

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yeah, awareness is more than half the battle, but almost no one teaches it. Teaching the 'technical' aspects of the martial art is more fun than teaching the 'common-sense' aspects of self-defense, it appears.
That's what is so great about Martial Talk, people who maybe would not even necessarily have considered awareness as part of their curriculum may now begin to include it, and it may not be part of some people's training, because it just hadn't occurred to them. You pass down what you know from what your instructor taught you. In the case of sitting and self defense awareness is important, like where is the best place to sit on a subway, train or bus or airplane even. Is the back or front of a bus best?...window seat or aisle? Thoughts?

OP
A

artist89

First off I would like to thank all of you for what you have said. That is the greatest thing of the internet, martial artist coming together and asking for opinions of one another of what each thinks would work in a certian situation. Sorry I haven't posted before, I've been busy with school and Tae Kwon Do. I know this is off the subjext but I have one year until my real training begins. For those of you who are a black belt would know what I am speaking of. But like I said before thanks to all of you posted with your opinions.

OP
R

rmcpeek

I agree with several of the responses here.

1. First and foremost, always be aware of your surroundings.

2. Second, never sit with your back to the door or anywhere where someone can sneak up from behind you or from the side. (I like the "Ask Wild Bill Hickock" response!)

3. If number 2 is not possible, then refer back to #1.

4. Ask your instructor what he thinks is a correct technique for this situation.

In our system, there are many things that can be done from a seated position, but there's too much to try and list here.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In these kind of situations there is no how to manual. instead, don't reley on one certain defense predetermined, but just let your training take over.

Fopr instance I was attack once wile sitting, these guys heard I was in MA and they wanted to test me. Well, They didn't want me kicking them, so in there half witted attack they stood on my feet, thinking it would make me immobile. Well an array of punches came at the rest of my body, me blocking and countering most of them., I'd say they each got one good one in on me. All wile I am sitting down in a chair. I decided that if I where to win I have to stand up, so what I did was that i slouched down in the chair almost on my back, cslip out from under there feet and pushed them both away at the same time with somewhat of a double stomp kick. Then standing up to finish them off.

Now if you ask me to do all of that again in the dojo, it probably will not be anywhere near the way it was that day. The adrenaline was pumping and I felt that my life could be in danger. So I reacted.

None of this was predetermined on how I would fight sitting down, but its just like grappling....All the tech. you do standing up, you can do just as effectively and the ground, with a few slight modifications.

Regards

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
artist89 said:
What I was wanting to know is,(I can also ask my instructor too) how would you defend yourself sitting in a chair and someone punched you from your r or L side? Would you lean back then commence the attack?

Same as everything else, train general purposes, and train to be adaptable and try to be aware of what is going on.

Trying to cover every possible situation is impossible, as there are a lot of things that go into a stiuation.

What kind of chair, what else is around, how hard does the guy hit, do you prefer striking or grapplig? With this guy? What are you wearing? What is he wearing? Anyone else around? Are you carrying anything? How are you feeling?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Koryu Jujutsu systems are good for training in Suwari Waza (seated). The reason is, in old japan when rising in front of one's lord without permission could result in death. I have had the opportunity for training 2 years with Reverend Koichi Barrish. Barrish sensei is the 8th soke of Ideta ryu Bujutsu. We practiced a lot of Suwari Waza, and Suwari w/tanto,bokken, and jo.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Again, not to be repetitious;

Speaking of sitting defense, anyone know of anyone being attack in a bathroom stall?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Again, not to be repetitious;

Speaking of sitting defense, anyone know of anyone being attack in a bathroom stall?
Soke Austin Powers was attacked in a bathroom stall, the appropriate defence based on real life experience is the deadly Swirlie, but it is not taught to beginners.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who does number 2 work for!?
%-}

Back on topic, though, I would say that if you're attacked from a position where your bottom half is virtually immobile, that you should use whatever flexibility and mobility your upper half can afford. I'm a flexible guy myself, so this is second nature, but for the more rigid, I'd recommend working that bob and weave manuever that we all know and love.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul thanks for taking the time to put that together and to link it here. That was very interesting! Is that you in the chair? I like the one where you went on all fours and had him roll over you. I would not have thought to do that. The gun ones were interesting too! I also liked how you used the chair as leverage in one of the scenarios. Great stuff, and I look forward to viewing your other videos when I have more time!

MJ :asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
LOL

However, I guess a bathroom stall would be the least likely place to perform a sitting defense.

But, I had seen one start in there. It was at a wedding recepyion.

Wasn't a "pretty sight".

There were people being hesitant to break that one up.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJ,

Yes that is me in the video. I am hoping to do some video on working in and around vehicles in the next month. I will post it when it is done.

Paul Genge

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good stuff. I liked it very much. I actually always liked systema.

BTW, Takagi Yoshin ryu Jutaijutsu (taught within the bujinkan) is a very good seated martial art, as almost all the techniques are done from sitting. (you can do them from standing, but they wre developed on the ground)

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have some experience of the Bujinkan. Takagi Yoshin Ryu does have a lot of interesting work, but unless you try using it sat in a chair you will never get comfortable using it in anything other than seiza. The biggest difference in Systema and the Bujinkan is the methods of training, the use of Kamae in most of the 9 schools and the focus on breathing in Systema. The principles that work are universal to alot of arts. It is really down to how you train them that really make the difference.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats true. Bujinkan training however is all over the place. some do train with a chair. some dont. its not really possible to have one method of training in the bujinkan as you know. I dont think the use of Kamae is stressed as much as it used to be. San shin movement seems to be more the focus. . I have heard that Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and Systema have a few similarities, though. of course, there is always more similairites than differences. once again, great clip.

OP
A

artist89

Arigato Gozimasu which means thank you in Japanese. But thanks for the clips they were great.

Latest Discussions