Sipjin " Boulder - Push "

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all,

TKD poomse/hyung Sipjin has a move referred to as a "Boulder-push" . When trying to intepret the move for practicle application, it has been suggested to continue the move to the side as catching a front kick and striking with the opposing hand with a palm heel. While this may be plausable, I am at a loss as to properly interpret the base move as described in literature where the focus on the move is directly in front. I welcome thoughts and discussion on this topic.:asian:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The boulder push has been interpreted by some as an off-balancing technique, either to the torso (after the aforementioned side kick parry), or to the head during close contact. However, like anything else in forms it is open to interpretation. It doesn't have to be a side kick I would imagine. I can't imagine a parry-Boulder Push would work too well against a full on side kick-too much momentum against you.

I could see it working well against someone who grabs or punches at you after you have blocked or redirected the technique.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the Kukkiwon's Foreign Instructor Course last Summer, we reviewed this Poomsae and it was part of our Physical Test. Here are my notes:

<<Sipjin-the fingers of the spear hand are to slip off someone who has grabbed you; the double side elbow-the fist are in front on the nipples-palms down; the bawi milgi comes from the right hip-use abdominal muscles as though pushing heavy rock; the double knife hand X blocks has right over left and you are using the back of the hands to block; the chittari jireugi-the punches are parallel-when doing them in front stance-they are nearly even but it is OK to bend the elbow when doing them in dwi kubi-stomp into the olgul ap chigi.>>

The push after catching the kick is to upset the opponent's balance.

Good Luck!

Miles

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's an alternative perspective. A clinch defense. The clenched fists are a neck crank when turning left. A followup tech., if neckcrank / throw fails, is left hand slicing across the trachea area as the right hand homes in on the tenacious attackers left carotid area with fingertips in spear fashion. If he STILL wont let go, the fingertips of both hands are abruptly snapped / jabbed at a 45 deg. up under the jawline with a diagonal trajectory toward the back / top area of the head through the area where the tongue is rooted. The flexing / bowing / whipping of the lumbar spine into the "boulder push", along with the snapping / locking straight of the rear (right) leg, will give ample thrust to seriously damage the tissues under the jaw / tongue area. Because of the area and angle of attack while hands are in / near final position, death could possibly result. If I were the one grabbing / clinching, I know I would let go. Just one of the many possibilities. If I am too far off the beaten path, well...sorry.

white belt

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
White belt,

Given the mechanics of the technique, I seriously doubt the Boulder Push is performing the function you described. But anything is possible. Although any technique can have several applications, the most popular description I've seen for this one is as an unbalancing motion or face thrust.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do the aforementioned application as a drill occasionally. Other sections of patterns as well. My partner is one of the more trustworthy due to the potential for injury. Sections of Sipjin, as well as other hyung, are identical to the Okinawan kata. Two that come to mind are Kusanku and Seiuchin.

I refer you to works done by Max Darrel Craig, Javier Martinez, Patrick McCarthy and George Dillman, if you have not already been through them. If you have not, you might enjoy the fresh approach to the relatively plain looking movements in some of your forms.

Again,I realize this perspective is not for everyone. I was disappointed to find out that Mr. Dillman started up with "no-touch KO" stuff. Prior to that, his work made complete sense.

white belt

J

Jim Tindell

"Boulder Push" is the technique you do when a huge boulder comes your way.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A technique once taught by Sensei Jones of Indiana you think? I have also heard this technique called "Passing Kidney Stone" in some places.

white belt

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh my! Sensei Indiana Jones? :) "

Seriously, the motion is done slowly and with tension, like pushing a boulder. But GM Lee, Chong Kwan kept stressing the tension in the abs. I think it is subject to multiple interpretations though none were offered in Korea.

Miles

Latest Discussions