Simply Challenging

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watched a episode of Oprah today... I forget who her primary guest was but she put up a "challenge" for people to see if they can adjust to simplifying their lives on a day to day basis.
It's simple common sense household economics and with the way things are going it sounds like a damned good idea for many Americans (and Brits) to adopt.

Her challenge was this... and it's doing all three not just pick one.

1 day of NOT spending ANY money.

1 week of NOT using your credit card (on line or shopping or anything else)

1 month of NOT eating out in ANY restaurant (fast or otherwise).

The idea is to understand how much money is actually spent and saved by doing these things.
Oprah said that when she aired the show (the one I watched was a follow up) that afterwards she got many calls and letters from angry restaurant owners. :wink1: ... what does THAT say?

She also had interviews with several families who took another type of challenge... with their families.
No TV, games, computer for a week.
Cleaning out closets of ANY article of clothing that hasn't been used in TWO months or more.
Limiting the amount of toys that a child can play with.
Walking to school with the children (if possible.. distance/safety wise), AND walking to pick them up and walking back home with them.
1 or 2 nights a week where several hours are devoted to a family activity... without the use of TV (meaning no DVD movies)
Looking at the price tags of items in your fridge that you throw away because they spoil.
Counting the number of each item you have in your pantry and counting the money that could've been saved had you bought the item when it ran out instead of stocking up.
Accepting the fact that if you can't pay for it (without credit) then don't buy it.
And several other ideas which I invite the MT folks to add on to this thread.

It was said in the program a few times that people tend to shop/spend money to make themselves feel better rather than getting what they needed from the store(s). That they tend to ignore the price tags and forget about "comparison shopping" because they give in to the impulsive buying that our inner needs seeking to be met compels us to do... that and the barrage of advertising we are exposed to on a daily basis.

Being poor does have it's advantages (for me)... now that I've found a job (yay) after being unemployed for quite some time I already have long since curbed the instant gratification impulse that I sometimes find myself having. I've learned how to tell myself to "get it later, get it later, get-it-later!" A lot of times I go out "window shopping" see stuff that I'd like to have (want) and see stuff that I could get (need) when I can afford it. I memorize where/what store I saw whatever it is that caught my eye and promise myself later. Usually by the time I can afford it... I've forgotten all about it and that makes me understand that I really didn't need it in the first place. But if I DO remember the item and have the money then I realize that it was something that I actually did need as opposed to want... but not always... not always. Yet this does save me a TON of money.

I'd like to see if folks here would be willing to take those three challenges (above). Talk it over with your spouse (natch) and see if it's something you'd like to try out as a family experiment. Don't cave in when temptation strikes. It'll always be there next time... always. Ignore those damned "limited time offers"... experience should tell you that you'll see those things on the shelves near the bargian bins about two months down the road.

Any other money saving tips?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lived like this in college.

I lived horrible while being married.

After my divorce and I was scraping money together to pay bills I lived frugal again, but I saw light.

I did not buy things unless I had cash.

I did learn to use a credit card as I would only buy things I need, gas groceries and such, and pay them off immediately and never carry a balance.

I could not understand why people did not see the benefit of living this way.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought this up. I'm also on a "voluntary simplicity" forum where people have lived like this for decades as a sub-culture. Some of us have embraced it out of necessity, others pull down six- and even seven-figure incomes. (I'm somewhere in the middle, although if I won the Powerball I'd probably still live simply. It's just who I am.)

The economic downturn has brought out the best and worst in that forum; there's a lot of "how can we help our neighbors?" Sadly there's a certain amount of schadenfreude too. Finally all those wasteful yuppies are getting theirs! It's a sad commentary on human nature to see people respond this way. There's a thread on today's Oprah that straddles the fence; sad to see families suffer, but how dare they have lived beyond their means in the first place?! As I see it, when one is in a sink-or-swim situation trying to learn a new skill, any starting point is better than none at all. Three cheers to Oprah for throwing all these shell-shocked families a bone.

I'd offer to try the challenge, but I pretty much live it anyway. I cancelled my sole credit card a couple years ago after conceding that I couldn't handle it responsibly on my income. Likewise with eating out - I can't afford that either, aside from the occasional Whopper. I'm with you in spirit though, and I'd love to see how this thread goes.

Oh, and to answer your question about money-saving tips, there are plenty of those. It may be more useful to look at frugal practices as a whole ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_simplicity

Best of luck to you.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Her challenge was this... and it's doing all three not just pick one.

1 day of NOT spending ANY money.

1 week of NOT using your credit card (on line or shopping or anything else)

1 month of NOT eating out in ANY restaurant (fast or otherwise).

The idea is to understand how much money is actually spent and saved by doing these things.
Oprah said that when she aired the show (the one I watched was a follow up) that afterwards she got many calls and letters from angry restaurant owners. :wink1: ... what does THAT say?

Her challenge is quite prudent. A little frugality in the short and medium-term translates into more spending power later on.

As for restaurants, my parents (now deceased) would cringe at how much I spend picking up quick meals frequently or buying my coffee daily at a restaurant. Eating out used to be a treat for lots of folks; now it's an entitlement of daily living.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
since i got together with wifey i dont really eat out that much anymore plus now that im more conscious of my body everytime i eat some kind of combo somewhere it taste good at first but like 20 or 30 mins later something just doesnt feel right on the inside :whip1:

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
since i got together with wifey i dont really eat out that much anymore plus now that im more conscious of my body everytime i eat some kind of combo somewhere it taste good at first but like 20 or 30 mins later something just doesnt feel right on the inside :whip1:
That's called subliminal guilt brought on by your wife who could be cooking you meals to save money ... :lol: plus she must be a GOOD cook and here you are... fast food binging... tsk tsk tsk...
Seriously... the idea of NOT eating out for a month can help you realize how much is being spent.

Saving all that money giving you more purchasing power later... well maybe... how about using that purchasing power to buy food to stock up on or buy a freezer to sit out in the garage to store meats and vegetables for later when the money is tight?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Question.... Has Oprah done the challenge herself? I mean considering what she owns and how much money she has. Physican heal thyself I'd say.

Deaf