Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ekTQl.gif

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad I caught that fight at a restaurant with friends, rather than shelling out the PPV $$$.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a ridiculous fight, and what a ridiculous series of fights. I've never seen so many terrible headline fights in one night!

If Silva is going to taunt his opponents, he at least ought to back it up and engage. WTF. This fight gave us the bizarre spectacle of a bloodied, clearly outmatched fighter trying to goad his opponent into fighting him.

Shawn-San

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That was a funny video.

Whether you agree with how the fight went or not, he still retained his belt and was able to diffuse any attempt by Maia to inflict damage upon him. Maia was simply outclassed. I agree he should've put Maia away after taunting him, and if he IS really that good, but there are many factors that come in to play with a fight that last 25 minutes.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a funny video.

Whether you agree with how the fight went or not, he still retained his belt and was able to diffuse any attempt by Maia to inflict damage upon him. Maia was simply outclassed. I agree he should've put Maia away after taunting him, and if he IS really that good, but there are many factors that come in to play with a fight that last 25 minutes.

Are you sure "outclassed" is the word you want to use there? I don't remember seeing much class.

The truth is he was extremely disrespectful to his opponent, has been warned against this behaviour before, and then, despite having a clear advantage ran away to the point of the ref stopping the fight and warning him that if he continued he would lose a point for not fighting, after putting on the worst display of sportsmanship the UFC has seen in taunting his opponent to come after him.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It made me disgusted to see it. Who dares put their guard down in a fight? It's just so disrespectful. The entire thing was awful. The only person who came out looking decent was Maia, because he actually "tried" to engage rather than play. Outmatched, sure, but not outclassed.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit that I was impressed and entertained with Silva's antics in the first 2 rounds. Then I was thinking, "Ok, you've made your point. Get in there and finish him". But he didn't. After that was simply an abomination, insulting not just Maia, but the whole damn sport.

I am actually praying that Chael Sonnen grinds Silva right into the mat. But I doubt it, sadly.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The scores weren't announced after the match, but I swear the announcer said Silva won by a majority decision, leaving me to think that one of the judges may have had Maia winning rounds 4 and 5 by 10-8 on one of the judges scorecards.

Sherdog gives the following results:
Jordan Breen scores 50-47 Silva
Greg Savage scores 50-46 Silva
Mike Fridley scores 48-47 Silva

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Silva hasn't fought his last few fights with the exception of Forest Griffin, we need to see GSP come up in weight and put him away.

He is nothing but hype and the reason I say that is because he is so afraid of losing that he no longer fights.
Think about it, had he stopped goading Maia and engaged or later stopped running away and actually engaged, there is a good chance he would have been taken down and submitted.
For a BJJ black belt that is pretty sad.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yikes! I'm going to have to disagree with this:

He is nothing but hype

The guy has a 75% accuracy rate with his striking. That is inhuman! No amount of hype is going to make someone magically able to fight. He punished Maia severely, and wasn't even trying. Maia had no chance of taking him down at all - he would have been KO'd long before.

Silva definitely took it too far, but to think that Maia had any chance at all is to be in denial.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy has a 75% accuracy rate with his striking.

I understand, but consider this, what did he do with that accuracy?

You state that he messed Maia up without even trying, think about it, this was a championship fight, he had to be trying, just because he made it look easy to hit Maia at will and not get hit in the process it was still all just showboating, even his accuracy was only used to show boat, or else he would have finished the fight which he couldn't for the simple reason that I believe he was afraid of taking that chance and losing.
So despite his accuracy rate and skills, he is just hype because a champion should not be afraid to put it on the line.

His accurace rate, speed, power and showmanship couldn't win him the fight they just serve to hype him up.

For a champion, I'm not impressed by his performance in his past few fights with the exception of the Griffin fight.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I understand, but consider this, what did he do with that accuracy?

Did you see Maia's face at the end? That's what he did with it.

You state that he messed Maia up without even trying, think about it, this was a championship fight, he had to be trying, just because he made it look easy to hit Maia at will and not get hit in the process it was still all just showboating, even his accuracy was only used to show boat,

Exactly, you are making my point for me. Skill.

or else he would have finished the fight which he couldn't for the simple reason that I believe he was afraid of taking that chance and losing.
So despite his accuracy rate and skills, he is just hype because a champion should not be afraid to put it on the line.

You can't really believe that, can you? Silva spent 2 rounds embarrassing Maia, and then willfully disengaged - the ref had to warn Silva for running away! - after that. If you want to call Silva an egotistical jackass, I can agree. But hype and no skill? No sir.

His accurace rate, speed, power and showmanship couldn't win him the fight they just serve to hype him up.

See above. That was a conscious decision, not a lack of skill.

For a champion, I'm not impressed by his performance in his past few fights with the exception of the Griffin fight.

I can agree with that, although the Leites fight was not really Silva's fault - Leites was the one flopping to his butt.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because I think you are sincere I'll try and explain it a little further so you can understand.

I could be alot faster than you, (AS AN EXAMPLE) so I can hit you at will because of my speed making you look bad, but because I am afraid of getting caught by you, be it a punch or clinch, I spend all my time hitting and running and then when I tire I no longer (willfully) run but am forced to because I'm getting tired and can no longer show off but will definitely lose I if I don't run. Then that is not a champion level fighter but HYPE.

Exactly, you are making my point for me. Skill.

His skill was not enough to win the fight but to show off for a while, that not skilled enough. He couldn't truly compete against Maia at a championship level. He had to run away in the later rounds, he didn't have a choice he would have lost if he didn't. He might have beaten Maia if it was a 3 round fight but at a championship level 5 rounds, Silva didn't have what it takes and barely walked away with a decision.

I don't think Maia has anything to be embarassed about, he was hit by a superior striker but that's it. That superior striker was too scared to keep fighting him in the later rounds. I don't think Maia has anything to be embarrassed about and Silva should be the one embarassed, after all he was warned for running away and not fighting.
If Maia would have done the same you would have had two fighters running away from each other. But Maia stuck in there and actually outstruck the superior striker in the later rounds.

Sounds like for all his skill Silva couldn't do much with it.

He won't fare so well against GSP.
This will be a round two KO or submission for George.

Think about it, "then willfully disengaged " that only means he ran away, he had to willfully disengage or he would have lost.

Just rewatch the match I think you will see for yourself.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When MMA is at it's best is when both fighters engage and either try to knock each other out or submit them. When it is at it's worst is when their is no effort for the former. Silva did not put forth enough effort to knock out or submit and that plus the taunting is why he is taking so much criticism!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The real fight was left up on Youtube. I watched part of it and was so embarrassed for the fighters, I couldn't watch anymore. It was totally undignified and humiliating.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Because I think you are sincere I'll try and explain it a little further so you can understand.

I could be alot faster than you, (AS AN EXAMPLE) so I can hit you at will because of my speed making you look bad, but because I am afraid of getting caught by you, be it a punch or clinch, I spend all my time hitting and running and then when I tire I no longer (willfully) run but am forced to because I'm getting tired and can no longer show off but will definitely lose I if I don't run. Then that is not a champion level fighter but HYPE.

His skill was not enough to win the fight but to show off for a while, that not skilled enough. He couldn't truly compete against Maia at a championship level. He had to run away in the later rounds, he didn't have a choice he would have lost if he didn't. He might have beaten Maia if it was a 3 round fight but at a championship level 5 rounds, Silva didn't have what it takes and barely walked away with a decision.

I don't think Maia has anything to be embarassed about, he was hit by a superior striker but that's it. That superior striker was too scared to keep fighting him in the later rounds. I don't think Maia has anything to be embarrassed about and Silva should be the one embarassed, after all he was warned for running away and not fighting.
If Maia would have done the same you would have had two fighters running away from each other. But Maia stuck in there and actually outstruck the superior striker in the later rounds.

Think about it, "then willfully disengaged " that only means he ran away, he had to willfully disengage or he would have lost.

Just rewatch the match I think you will see for yourself.
I rewatched it and saw Maia punching from his knee's.
While Anderson Silva didn't look (tired from 5 rounds) or scared.

Anytime someone can drop their guard on you.
Tap the mat infront of you.
Stop all your takedowns extremely easy.
Stand infront of you and kick and punch you before you can even do anything.
Play with you and do tricks infront of you.

I don't think it's because the other guy is trying to run away because hes scared.

I just think hes being a poor sportsman to his opponent and taunting his obvious superiority.

I think you should rewatch.

(spoiler for anyone who might not of seen the anderson silva vs demian maia)

Anderson silva was delivering shots.(he wasn't running away). It seems like you're implying that he was JUST running and not delivering any real shots.
Silva just wasn't finishing it.
When it was obvious to everyone he could of finished it.
He was literally doing some pretty outlandish things that would get most fighters knocked out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Apologies for coming back into this so late, but I think Tanaka is right on the ball here. I believe that Silva knows that he's so much better than everyone else that he can just showboat a bit to make his point, and then he sees no reason to inflict further damage. It's a very odd and egotistical way to approach a professional fight - but it's not fear or lack of skill, by any means.

SM -

His skill was not enough to win the fight but to show off for a while, that not skilled enough. He couldn't truly compete against Maia at a championship level. He had to run away in the later rounds, he didn't have a choice he would have lost if he didn't.

That is pure speculation on your part, and I certainly do not agree. I think he didn't *have* to run away, he *chose* to do that. Huge difference.

He might have beaten Maia if it was a 3 round fight but at a championship level 5 rounds, Silva didn't have what it takes and barely walked away with a decision.

Again, unsupported speculation on your part.

Yeah, please don't misunderstand me - I think Maia did as good a job as he possibly could have, considering the skill gap. He showed plenty of heart, and I have nothing but respect for him. He is one of the few fighters I have seen that had their stock raised in a loss.

I am a huge GSP fan, but I think this ends badly for George. Silva is a taller fighter with better striking. The ground is a question, but Silva has shown good wrestling against Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson. I would love to see the fight, and I will be pulling for GSP, but............ :(

Think about it, "then willfully disengaged " that only means he ran away,

Yes, you are correct here.

he had to willfully disengage or he would have lost.

Now you're speculating again, sorry.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
When it was obvious to everyone he could of finished it.

Then why didn't he???

That's like saying, I know I could easily enter the UFC and beat Silva myself, I just choose not to?

Huh?

If it was so obvious he could finish him, why didn't he, oh yeah, he felt bad for Maia and didn't want to hurt him, lol

And as for speculation, watch
This is the fifth round, you want proof? No problem count how many times Maia hit Silva and How many times Maia is advancing and Silva is running away.

That's a champ???
That's who will beat GSP???
That round GSP would have taken Silva out no problem, don't believe me and think I'm speculating? Ok watch the last rounds of GSP's fights and watch his performance, now watch this, if you're not laughing I don't know how much more proof I can show you.

At around 4:30 Silva is running away until about 4:39 where Maia completely opens his arms dropping his guard against the great Silva and what does the champ do, you guessed it, runs away.
Followed then by another 40 seconds of running away until this stops because of Silva's tremendous heart where... oh yeah he's warned by the ref to sopt running away!

Do you want more speculation or will you at least watch the last round?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions