Silk Reeling

Discussion in 'CMA Video Library' started by 2good2b4gotten, Nov 3, 2017.

1. 2good2b4gotten

2good2b4gotten White Belt

Silk reeling (纏絲, chánsī) is specific feature of Taijiquan (especially Chen style).

In the following video there is explanation of the term by Master Chen Zhonghua.

What do you think about this explanation?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I'm not an expert on CMA theory, but that seems like a nice, clear explanation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Senior Master

I train CMA and this is the first time I've heard it explained like this. It reminds me of the concept that an opening exists in a person's guard. The space that is between the elbows never really goes away. The punches or strikes towards that center are less likely to be deflected. The strikes take the same path that was explained in the video. That space in between the elbows forms I guess what he referred to as the eye of a needle. Anything outside of that space has a greater risk of being jammed against the opponent's body as they make an effort to avoid the strike.
    [​IMG]

4. Encho

Encho Orange Belt

I do not agree or disagree with Chen zhonghua, I think what he is explaining is in context to that lesson or question, same as when my teacher was speaking on silk reeling and backing in and pivot, and another teacher refer to as a figure eight.

There is definitely a spiraling motion and my opinion looking to Chen xin work on silk reeling is highly recommended or Chen xiaowang explaining it.

5. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Senior Master

In the Baji system, there are 3 different power generation methods.

1. Sinking power.
    2. Expanding power.
    3. Silk reeling power.

Starting from 42.16 in the following clip, Baji master Adam Hsu's explanation of "silk reeling" is more general as "body twisting power".

Your power generate from the

- ground and up,
    - back and front.

You will need body twisting movement to send your power to your fist.

By using Adam's definition, all MA styles use "silk reeling". "Internal" guys may not like this definition. It won't make "internal" guys to feel "superior - my style has it but your style doesn't".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017