Silat in NYC?

A

allbriefcase

Does anyone know of any Silat based system taught in NYC (Manhattan)?

Thank you for your help!

Mark

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is an older thread on this.
silat Perisai (spelling) around times square
White Crane Silat- they have a web page
Poekelan on 14th street

OP
P

pekho

Hi-

I am the trainer for NYC White Crane Silat. Please feel free to ask any questions you would like about the class.

I have been studying the art for twenty years now, and we have a good class of dedicated students. Our school was founded 50 years ago, and is based on techniques Shaolin monks brought to Indonesia when fleeing China. We have a practical attitude toward the art fostered by the turmoil Indonesia has undergone in the last 50 years. We have forms like that of other silat styles, but what sets us apart is the emphasis we place on throwing. Throwing (ambilan) is learned early, and practiced at nearly every latihan (practice); and BTW, we don't use mats.

Our website has some nice pictures and videos of many of the people who have trained me.

http://homepage.mac.com/silatnyc/
Josh

OP
P

pekho

We were at Fight House. There was someone lurking on the side for a while. Was that you? You should introduce yourself. Please feel free to watch any class. Our schedule is on our website.

Josh

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually yes, have you ever looked into (chinese) white crane kung fu, I have never seen it in practice but think you guys probably do almost the exact same stuff based on watching you, and what little I read about them.

There was one movement you guys were doing which looked just like a segment from the first form in wing chun, ( which is crane influenced), but done with different energy, and probably for a different reason.

Another movement you did was similar to a xing yi crane movement ( that I need to practice) watching you guys gave me an idea on how to do it better,
but again with a different energy/intent.

Finally another movement 2 people were working on looked similar to tai chi push hands , and also certain snake movements.

Generally speaking nice people.

OP
S

Sifu Barry Cuda

If anybody here is interested I teach Kali/silat as taught by Dan Inosanto here in NYC.Visit my website and give me a call, Barry www.combatartsusa.com

OP
P

pekho

Thanks, I am glad you liked the class. I like to think that our class looks like traditional Chinese White Crane and Shaolin in general, because that is our lineage. You are observant to see that our energy is different.

The two-person exercise you saw we call "feeling" because you learn to feel the other person’s energy while practicing sticking. So, yeah it is similar to push hands. Do you have any questions about the throwing? It is a specialty of our style. I am sorry you had to leave before we started sparring.

Josh