Silat Defense System : Mastro Silat Video Clip!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What was that! Looked interesting. Is it a new system of Silat?

1stJohn1:9

No actually, Pencak Silat is one of the more commonly practised styles outside of Indonesia.

There are almosts a thousand styles of Silat practiced in its mother country. :)

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am some what aware of the ma Silat. What I was asking. Was if Mastro Silat was a newer system. For example Shotokan-Shotokai etc.,etc.. Thanks for your time.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am some what aware of the ma Silat. What I was asking. Was if Mastro Silat was a newer system. For example Shotokan-Shotokai etc.,etc.. Thanks for your time.

Donald I have no way of knowing.
icon6.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't think it is distinct enough to be called a system, it's a school that Monsieur Frederic Mastro founded. While the school calls themselves a "fighting system", I don't believe that they are using "system" as a means of distinction...in this case I believe it is more a reference to the broadness of Silat training which includes standup, ground, empty-hand, stick, and knife techniques...as well as a reference to how he has several schools throughout Meditteranean Europe.

This is in French, but description on the video and web page indicate that what is being taught is Pentjak (Penchak) Silat as well :)

http://www.mastro-silat.be/presentation.htm

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the fact they use open hands. Just sooo much faster, yet just as powerful, as closed fist.

Thanks Brian. :asian:

Carol, thanks for that clarification. Helps me as I begin to try to understand Silat a little better. And are you saying you can read French (and could give us a hint at the salient ponts, hmmm)? :idunno: German, I have a shot, French, no. At any rate, thanks for posting the further link. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the fact they use open hands. Just sooo much faster, yet just as powerful, as closed fist.[/quote]

There's more to it than that. Silat is a bladed art. This style is a battlefield art. If the practitioner were to use a closed fist, that would be incorrect body mechanics for using a blade.

Thanks Brian. :asian:

Indeed! Thanks so much Brian!

Carol, thanks for that clarification. Helps me as I begin to try to understand Silat a little better. And are you saying you can read French (and could give us a hint at the salient ponts, hmmm)? :idunno: German, I have a shot, French, no. At any rate, thanks for posting the further link. :)

I don't read French well, but I'll give it a try.

The first couple of paragraphs say that Penchak Silat is a martial art from Indonesia and Malaysia, that many of the moves look like dance but this was done to hide their true purpose, and that it is taught at a young age.

I believe what they are saying is that in in Indonesia, Silat is taught as a dance in school. When the child reaches 17 or 18, they are taught how martial applications. The dance behind Silat was originally formed to keep the fighting principles secret from invaders to the archipelago.

The next graf says Silat incorporates a wide variety of applications, techniques, and tactics that provide different measures of security. He then says that their SDS (Silat Defense System) incorporates a few different styles of Silat and follows the Filipino applications of adapted the art for the needs of urban violence.

The next graf is about the founder of the school...started training in MA at age 8 when he trained in English Boxing and Judo.

Next graf is about the history of Penchak Silat, about how its practiced by Indonesian commanders/commandos and by Dutch colonisers. The page memntions the dance was used to hide Silat's applications against Japanese invaders and the remainder of the page basically says Silat is great for self-defense.

:)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's more to it than that. Silat is a bladed art. This style is a battlefield art. If the practitioner were to use a closed fist, that would be incorrect body mechanics for using a blade.

Aha!

I don't read French well, but I'll give it a try.

The first couple of paragraphs say that Penchak Silat is a martial art from Indonesia and Malaysia, that many of the moves look like dance but this was done to hide their true purpose, and that it is taught at a young age.

I believe what they are saying is that in in Indonesia, Silat is taught as a dance in school. When the child reaches 17 or 18, they are taught how martial applications. The dance behind Silat was originally formed to keep the fighting principles secret from invaders to the archipelago.

The next graf says Silat incorporates a wide variety of applications, techniques, and tactics that provide different measures of security. He then says that their SDS (Silat Defense System) incorporates a few different styles of Silat and follows the Filipino applications of adapted the art for the needs of urban violence.

The next graf is about the founder of the school...started training in MA at age 8 when he trained in English Boxing and Judo.

Next graf is about the history of Penchak Silat, about how its practiced by Indonesian commanders/commandos and by Dutch colonisers. The page memntions the dance was used to hide Silat's applications against Japanese invaders and the remainder of the page basically says Silat is great for self-defense.

:)

I'm impressed! Thanks, Carol.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm impressed about the comment about Japanese invaders. He means that the dance kept Silat completely secret from Japanese invaders. Considering that Japanese/Okinawan styles do not show any Indonesian influence...that is a rather powerful statement to make.

My Silat GM explains more about Silat to me here...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40997

and the clip Brian posted here shows why Silat looks like dance. The art looks very different when the principles are performed solo and without an uke to prove the application to the observer. You could do this on a city street and people would just think you're some kind of street performer. ;)

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41291

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, that is interesting. Thank you for sharing it. I know there are a myriad of silat styles, systems and schools, but I expected the footwork and body movement to be different.

Latest Discussions