Significance of gender with School Management

goodwrench_mc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The highest ranked female in EPAK is the venerable Ms. Doreen Cogliandro.

She heads up one of the most popular Kenpo schools in New England. I live less than 20 miles from her school and I don't hear folks doubting her abilities.

Being male does NOT mean one has credibility, nor does it mean that one will be immune from criticism or trash talking. Guys talk smack about each other. Guys diss each other.

You may have someone off the street walk away because of your gender. You may also have someone walk away because of your skin color, or your location, or schedule, or because someone doesn't like the art or because the McDojo on the other side of town is promising a Black Belt in 2 years, yada yada yada. You won't be able to close every customer.

When going in to business, don't focus on what you are *not*. Customers won't buy what you don't have!

Instead, focus on what you *are*.

Good luck, and good fortune! :)

One of Ms. Doreen Cogliandro's female students is running a school in NH. 4th Degree Black Belt Erin O'Neil's school is expanding into a larger facility. She is an excellent teacher and her school is growing. Her Positive attitude and hard work shows that gender doesn't matter.
http://www.kenposites.com/epkk/index.cfm?

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
CC,

I don't know you like the other posters do, but I can tell you that I have been teaching for a few years and at first I thought I may have that same problem, but it never materialized. I have had plent of men and boys as students. A few times from teenage boys I get a little reticent attitude at the beginning. But if they come to class for a while, that all changes. Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing about it when you make the leap.

I saw someone mentioned NWMAF and AWMAI. I used to attend Pacific Association of Women Martial Artists trining camps and plan to do so again next year. Some women of AWMAI go to both NWMAF and PAWMA, so I have met some of the NWMAF and AWMAI people. I can tell you I have had great experiences going to the training camps and meeting the women involved. I think they are a great support system for women in the martial arts. Go to just one event and I think you will be amazed and inspired by the women you meet.

As an instructor, the fact that I am a woman is no hindrance in my mind anymore. And as another poster said, I have been told quite a few times by parents that they feel more comfortable that their child's instructor is a woman.

Again, good luck to you.

Latest Discussions