Sibok Tom Kelly

OP
D

dragonbyte

I have had the Privilege and Honor of training under Sibok Tom Kelly for several years. In that time I have received much more than just instruction on Martial Arts or fighting, but many lessons on life. I have been lucky to see a man that can live up to the highest standards of honor and kindness, and have a forgiving heart. It is also a testimony to this man when his son also has these traits as well.
In All Respect
Always your younger, not so bright brother
Ron Smith:asian:

OP
B

bahenlaura

Hello All,

I wanted to post this picture of Sibok and all of his students that went to California this past week-end to Mr T's Internationals.
They were all conducted themselves with outmost respect. They were all warroirs and showed it. They collectivell nailed down 23 trophys and lots of admiration and respect from higher ranking black belts around. I myself am very proud to be associated with these ladies and gentlemen.
they are a credit to themselves and their teacher (Sibok Tom Kelly).

Salute to all of you.

Burt E.
:asian:

Attachments

• $wild bunch1.jpg
    $wild bunch1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 581

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now for the truth........ what divisions............ white thru brown probably....... right?!!! Now the rest of the story..... they have all been studying for over 45 years!! :rofl:

Just kidding........

Congratulations to Sibok and his hoard of warriors!!

OP
B

bahenlaura

Well, There he was back into Pasedena school where all started. You could see it in his face that memories were rushing back in. It was an emotional moment when the Uncle and Son took a picture under the watchful eyes of the Father.
Words fall short to discribe the honor we felt!
yYour brother in the Art
Burt E.
:cool:

Attachments

• $ed & sibok.jpg
    $ed & sibok.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 358

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got to ask...

I know what sensei, sifu, and sigung mean, but what's a sibok?

not being disrespectful, I really don't know what it means!

OP
B

brianhunter

Good stuff guys! Thank you to all who contributed!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
What's a sibok?

[Sibak] is Cantonese meaning teacher-elder uncle. A senior teacher in the same generation as your teacher.

[Sidai] is Cantonese meaning younger brother. A fellow student who started studying after someone in the same generation of students.

[Sifu] is the Cantonese for Shifu, teacher-father.

[Sigung] is Cantonese meaning teacher-grandfather. The teacher's teacher.

[Sigungbak] is Cantonese meaning a grand-teacher's older brother. A senior individual in the same student generation as a teacher's teacher.

[Sigungsuk] is Cantonese meaning a grand-teacher's younger brother. A junior individual in the same student generation as a teacher's teacher.

[Sihing] is Cantonese meaning elder brother. A fellow student who started studying previously to an individual.

[Sijo] is Cantonese meaning teacher-ancestor. Used to mean the teacher of the teacher's teacher. Sometimes used to mean the founder of a Chinese martial art style. Sometimes used as Tai sijo meaning great teacher-ancestor.

[Sijuk] is Cantonese meaning teacher-nephew. A student of a junior or senior teacher of one's teacher's generation.

[Simo] is Cantonese meaning teacher-mother. It is sometimes used as sifu's wife.

Sisuk] is Cantonese meaning teacher-younger uncle. Used to refer to a teacher who is junior in status to one's teacher.

OP
K

ken_loc

I am very proud to be a student of Sibok Tom Kelly. I am like wise very proud of the men and women in that california pic. It has been an honor to train with each and evey one of them and I just wanna say good job to all of them. I'm kinda pissed I didn't get to make this one though.

:D

OP
B

bahenlaura

Here is one more of the Great one & Mr. T.
Enjoy.

Burt

Attachments

• $sibok & mr. t..jpg
    $sibok & mr. t..jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 309

pkelly1965

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Paul Kelly. Tom Kelly is my dad's brother. Martial Arts has always been a big part of my life. I am looking forward to hearing from anyone that has ties with Kenpo or my Uncle Tom. Thank You.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Paul Kelly. Tom Kelly is my dad's brother. Martial Arts has always been a big part of my life. I am looking forward to hearing from anyone that has ties with Kenpo or my Uncle Tom. Thank You.

Welcome to Martial Talk, Mr. Kelly! So glad you joined us! :wavey:

Latest Discussions