Shuri-Ryu

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much about Shuri Ryu, but my training is in Shorei Goju Ryu, one of the other three Trias styles. I'm not sure how the Trias styles were when he was around, but ours tends to be a bit revolutionary, in the sense that it can upset traditionalists. We basically take the stance that there is no style that cannot be improved by the addition of more functional elements, and the subtraction of the less. However, there is still the core system which remains mostly the same. It's interpretation just changes with the oncoming of new knowledge and techs. If Shuri Ryu is at all similar in it's openness to new knowledge, I would definitely recommend it. At least in lieu of my own style to which I am obviously biased, and is not exactly available on a widespread basis. (being that it is mostly in Indiana)

cstanley

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much about Shuri Ryu, but my training is in Shorei Goju Ryu, one of the other three Trias styles. I'm not sure how the Trias styles were when he was around, but ours tends to be a bit revolutionary, in the sense that it can upset traditionalists. We basically take the stance that there is no style that cannot be improved by the addition of more functional elements, and the subtraction of the less. However, there is still the core system which remains mostly the same. It's interpretation just changes with the oncoming of new knowledge and techs. If Shuri Ryu is at all similar in it's openness to new knowledge, I would definitely recommend it. At least in lieu of my own style to which I am obviously biased, and is not exactly available on a widespread basis. (being that it is mostly in Indiana)

Sounds a lot like innovation to me. Whatever floats your boat.

Paquita

White Belt
Reaction score
If you go to this site there is a section that talks about the shuri ryu style.This is where I trained, and will again starting in the summer. I can't wait!

www.shurite.com

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you go to this site there is a section that talks about the shuri ryu style.This is where I trained, and will again starting in the summer. I can't wait!

www.shurite.com

Hanshi Abele's school. I enjoyed my years of training there, as well. An excellent teacher, and even more importantly, a great man.

Have you been to one of the symposiums yet?

Shuri-Ryu-Phil

White Belt
Reaction score
The roots of Shuri-Ryu are in Okinawa, especially in the Shuri-Te karate of Ankoh Itosu and Choki Motobu and the Hsing Yi Chuan of Tung Gee Hsing. Robert Trias, the style’s founder, trained with Tung Gee Hsing, who had cross-trained with Choki Motobu earlier in the Okinawan village of Kume Mura. Tung Gee Hsing taught Trias Hsing Yi (the “Intellectual” Fist) and Shuri Karate Kempo. Later Trias studied with Hoy Yuan Ping, Gogen Yamaguchi, Roy Oshiro, Yasuhiro Konishi, Makoto Gima, and several other teachers. Konishi awarded Trias with the 9th Dan in 1964 and was a prominent student of both Choki Motobu and Gichin Funakoshi. Gima was a prominent student of Funakoshi and awarded Trias the 10th Dan in 1983. Both, Konishi and Gima helped Trias reconstruct the old Shuri-Te system of Okinawan karate with some modifications, hence a new name for the system was designated Shuri-Ryu. Shuri-Ryu also incorporated some Naha katas and methods.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The roots of Shuri-Ryu are in Okinawa, especially in the Shuri-Te karate of Ankoh Itosu and Choki Motobu and the Hsing Yi Chuan of Tung Gee Hsing. Robert Trias, the style’s founder, trained with Tung Gee Hsing, who had cross-trained with Choki Motobu earlier in the Okinawan village of Kume Mura. Tung Gee Hsing taught Trias Hsing Yi (the “Intellectual” Fist) and Shuri Karate Kempo. Later Trias studied with Hoy Yuan Ping, Gogen Yamaguchi, Roy Oshiro, Yasuhiro Konishi, Makoto Gima, and several other teachers. Konishi awarded Trias with the 9th Dan in 1964 and was a prominent student of both Choki Motobu and Gichin Funakoshi. Gima was a prominent student of Funakoshi and awarded Trias the 10th Dan in 1983. Both, Konishi and Gima helped Trias reconstruct the old Shuri-Te system of Okinawan karate with some modifications, hence a new name for the system was designated Shuri-Ryu. Shuri-Ryu also incorporated some Naha katas and methods.
Phil,
Thank you for that. Very interesting history. I have a question, does Shuri Ryu incorporate Kumemura Hakutsuru in the kata curriculum at any point?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phil,
Thank you for that. Very interesting history. I have a question, does Shuri Ryu incorporate Kumemura Hakutsuru in the kata curriculum at any point?

Hakutsuru is taught, but from what I've seen, it's strictly optional. I've never seen it as a requirement for advancement.

Each year at the International Martial Arts Symposium, Hanshi Robert Bowles teaches the kata during one of the sessions. I hope to take his seminar this coming October.

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hakutsuru is taught, but from what I've seen, it's strictly optional. I've never seen it as a requirement for advancement.

Each year at the International Martial Arts Symposium, Hanshi Robert Bowles teaches the kata during one of the sessions. I hope to take his seminar this coming October.

Where is this symposium held?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you even know the katas we have???
Yes Shuri ryu has alot of good competitiors but if you took Shuri Ryu youd know its much more then soem silly competition Karate.

Yes, I know which kata you have. I know several of Mr. John Sharkey's students and have known them for several years. I am not attacking your style of choice, I am merely making an observation. I have been training long enough in Okinawan Karate and the martial arts to be able to evaluate a kata. When I see a kata with stances and techniques used in a manor that is set towards gaining a higher score, it is what I am saying when a kata is geared towards competition.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for contributing so far. I think I might go check this school out and see if I like it.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I certainly hope you like what you see in checking out that Shuri-Ryu dojo. I have been studying Shuri-Ryu for going on two years, and I find that it is a very effective system that is a lot of fun to work. I know that there was a tournament and seminar this past weekend in Fort Wayne, IN hosted by Hanshi Bowles--my sensei won the Shuri Cup there and his sensei was promoted to 8th degree--and such seminars can be very informative, so if you do plan on attending in October, you will definitely want a notebook! Good luck, and have fun.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that there was a tournament and seminar this past weekend in Fort Wayne, IN hosted by Hanshi Bowles--my sensei won the Shuri Cup there and his sensei was promoted to 8th degree

Was that Joe Walker? If so, then congrats to him on a well-deserved promotion.

--and such seminars can be very informative, so if you do plan on attending in October, you will definitely want a notebook! Good luck, and have fun.

No shortage of topics, that's for certain, since Shihan Abele brings in many instructors from a wide variety of systems (Ju Jutsu, Shotokan Karate, Shito Ryu Karate, various Kobudo systems, Wing Chun, FMA, etc). The healing arts clinics seem to be quite popular there, too.

OP
S

shaolin_al

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do have to say the connections to xing yi quan could be fake or real I have no idea and don't think it will ever be proved, but personally in the past I have studied xingyi and do see some minor similarities in movements of shuri-ryu kata.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Was that Joe Walker? If so, then congrats to him on a well-deserved promotion.

Yes, Mr. Walker was promoted to 8th degree, and his step-son, Joseph Johnston, who is my sensei, won the Shuri Cup. Overall, a pretty eventful weekend for us.

BrianF

White Belt
Reaction score
I too am looking into Shuri Ryu and live in Indiana. Fort Wayne is a bit too far to train witn Mr. Bowles. I found a school in Muncie, IN, which is much closer.

Is anyone familiar with this school? I am new to the forum and do not know whether it is appropriate to state the name of the school/instructor, so I will withhold it for now. Not to hide it, just to make certain I comply with any rules here. The instructor seems knowledgable and is well respected in the community.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

BrianF

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I too am looking into Shuri Ryu and live in Indiana. Fort Wayne is a bit too far to train witn Mr. Bowles. I found a school in Muncie, IN, which is much closer.

Is anyone familiar with this school? I am new to the forum and do not know whether it is appropriate to state the name of the school/instructor, so I will withhold it for now. Not to hide it, just to make certain I comply with any rules here. The instructor seems knowledgable and is well respected in the community.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

BrianF
I am familar with several of the older schools in Indiana who is it teaching Shuri Ryu in Muncie? This way maybe I can help a little more.

Brandon

Latest Discussions