Should I only focus on EPAK or Crosstrain?

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I a mere beginner compared to many people here in the art of EPAK. I love that art and no other has given me the self-esteem to tackle everyday problems like Parker's Kenpo.

I do not feel like commuting 75 miles each way to a dojo, nor do I want to train with just anyone in my backyard. I currently don't have medical insurance and want to be cautious about training in a non-dojo setting and with strangers.

My question is, since I have all Mr. Tatum's technique dvds, and Mr. Planas forms dvd's, should I just work at those with a friend or should I look into a local Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, or other art? At church they offer a certain art that involves kicking that I won't comment on, and I often feel like putting in my two cents! So should I just focus on what I know and train alone, or step out of my comfort zone and check out a local school?

Chris Magnano

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
AmericanKenpoChris said:
I a mere beginner compared to many people here in the art of EPAK. I love that art and no other has given me the self-esteem to tackle everyday problems like Parker's Kenpo.

I do not feel like commuting 75 miles each way to a dojo, nor do I want to train with just anyone in my backyard. I currently don't have medical insurance and want to be cautious about training in a non-dojo setting and with strangers.

My question is, since I have all Mr. Tatum's technique dvds, and Mr. Planas forms dvd's, should I just work at those with a friend or should I look into a local Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, or other art? At church they offer a certain art that involves kicking that I won't comment on, and I often feel like putting in my two cents! So should I just focus on what I know and train alone, or step out of my comfort zone and check out a local school?

Chris Magnano
Go to a school, (any legit style school) and dump the videos. What if you wanted to study a course only offered at Harvard? You either find a way to get there or you study something else. If you can't find a kenpo school, or don't want to travel the distance, than you can settle for another style. But substituting video from scratch, is like learning to swim among sharks on the internet.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Doc! I would suggest getting a solid base in one art first before crosstraining even enters the picture. I also think that it would be a much better choice to find a way to get to a school to learn from a live instructor.

If Kenpo is what you want to do, you just may have to make that drive. If that is still an issue, you should do some research on other schools in your area that have caught your interest.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
AmericanKenpoChris said:

Chris Magnano

I would not want to travel 75 miles either so it matters how much you really want to do Kenpo. Don't get me wrong I am a very biased person when talking about Kenpo vs. other arts, but if you feel like you will not benifit from it than tey something else. As it was said before it is very omportant to get your basics, but it is a lot better to learn from an actual instructor that way if you have any questions you can ask.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You need to be in a school. Train in something local now, and maybe more opportunities will open up in the future. Someone is driving 30 miles to that school you mentioned and some day he or she will open up a school 5 miles from his or her home. That'll be only 40 miles from you. Or, you might move, or find an out-of-my-garage instructor in town. But, forget the DVDs and get some instruction.

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got to agree with the others....unless you are willing to travel then don't bother. My own kenpo classes are 130 miles each way and I can only do this at weekends due to work commitments...its not ideal but I've been training like this regularly for almost 7 years now and the long journey has become a part of life - its just not significant to me any more (you'll get used to it!!).

If you want kenpo bad enough you'll put the hours in, but you'll get far more benefit from direct, regular training rather than video-learning.

the Aikido sounds fun though so why not give it a go you might enjoy it! anhow good luck in whatever you choose to do..... :)

james

OP
A

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I think I will just look into my church's karate class. Thanks again, Chris.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For a while I travelled close to 90 miles each way, twice a week to train with a group in an unusual style that wasn't offered anywhere closer. This was when I lived in Wisconsin, and it snowed a lot in the winter. You can do it, if you really really want it. You may have to be willing to sacrifice other things to make it happen, but if you want it bad enough, you can do it. It's a drag to travel that much, but if the training is worth while and you feel that nothing else compares either in quality or stylistically, then it may be the best choice.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I live in Georgia just north of Jacksonville I traveled 75 Mile one-way twice a week to train. You have to have immediate feedback you can't wait a month or two months from someone to tell you stance is all wrong and then by that time it is engrained into your form.

V/R

Rick

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Studying martial arts by yourself is like practicing sex by yourself... Might feel good while you practice, but then when you get a real partner it will be pretty awkward.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd suggest looking into boxing, because fees are usually cheap, and it'll keep you in great shape; next, I'd recommend Muay Thai, which is a little harder to find than boxing, a little more expensive. . .but a lot better. I have trained an EPAK practitioner, who is one of my buddies, for the sparring portion of one of his high-level tests, and he seemed to enjoy it. He certainly sparred better afterward. ;)

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Studying martial arts by yourself is like practicing sex by yourself... Might feel good while you practice, but then when you get a real partner it will be pretty awkward.

Lol, you slay me!

OP
A

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:

Thank you, Old Fat Kenpoka, I will stick to the church class, and hopefully I will meet my future wife there for I would love to have a little karate family. Merry Christmas, and I will think twice before shaking anyone's hand in the future. Keep your hands and minds clean. Best Regards, Chris.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AmericanKenpoChris said:
Thank you, Old Fat Kenpoka, I will stick to the church class, and hopefully I will meet my future wife there for I would love to have a little karate family. Merry Christmas, and I will think twice before shaking anyone's hand in the future. Keep your hands and minds clean. Best Regards, Chris.

Ha ha. You are too funny. Hey, I am a little old and a little fat -- and while I may be "grand", I am no "master" and certainly no "grandmaster". I did in fact meet my wife at the dojo. I hope that you find as much happiness and success in your future studies.

OP
A

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There is a Wing Chun school that I might check out.

I wish everyone a season filled with joy regardless of religion. Let us all take time to laugh, learn, and enjoy life. Thanks again. Chris

Southwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am lucky that I live close to my instructor but if I had to travel 75 miles I would invest in taking as many privates as a could afford. Blessings

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Chris, you've gotten great advice from great people. When you join the karate class at your church, remember that what you put into it is what you will get out of it. It may not be exactly what you were looking for but it's better than learning from tapes. Put yourself into your training as much as you possibly can and you can find the same level of self esteem. Push yourself and you will also push the instructor. If he's good, you'll be rewarded by being pushed even more. If not, then you will at least have the satisfaction of giving it your all. Wallow in it, revel in it, become a teacher of it. You will then experience another level of MA that will be exceptionally rewarding, not just physically but mentally and spiritually as well.

And above all, have fun!

Latest Discussions