Should Clinton admit defeat?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you feel that since Obama has enough of the delegates to win the nomination that Hillary Clinton should concede so the Democratic party can move forward?

A quick read from MSN.com sums it up

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/04/1107917.aspx

Hillary is trying to maintain the focus on the spotlight even when it is not in everyone's best interst. Do you feel that her trying to maintain her "political leverage" to suit her own interests will hurt the DNC in the presidential election since the party is not able to focus 100% on the task at hand?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She wants that #2 spot now, thinks the #1 spot should be hers regardless, and will act in her own self-interests, rather than the party or countries interests.

She should leave the DP and form her own party.

Either way, her actions will hurt the party and the country.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion of "The Task At Hand?" What do you think it is?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
What this has illustrated to me is that she seems to have an awful sense of entitlement. She deserves the Presidency in her mind, and therefore she will get it. The problem is that reality hasn't quite lived up to her fantasy, but she refuses to admit it. The reason she hasn't conceded already is that to do so would mean to admit, especially to herself, that she's really not going to win; something that just doesn't occur to her.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow. I don't often agree with Fearless Freep on political matters. But this time we're reading from the same page. Senator Clinton's speech last night was all "Me, me, me, me, me. I'm the winner. I should be the nominee. I'll let you, my supporters decide whether I should continue to do whatever I can to be President."

She's still setting herself up to be the next President even though there's no mathematical possibility. All she can do is summon some dignity, congratulate her opponent (as he did her quite a few times) and work for the benefit of her Party and the candidate most likely to carry out policies in line with hers. The alternative is to draw votes away and give Senator McCain a great advantage either by sitting on her hands or by running as an Independent.

Her "McCain and I are the only ones qualified", "Not a Muslim so far as I know" and many other incidents made it very difficult for the Senator Obama's campaign to give her the VP slot. The presence of her husband as a constant public feature of the campaign got her some votes from his supporters. It may well have convinced Senator Obama that such a move would be pure poison. He'd be installing a VP in the Naval Observatory who would be constantly second-guessing him. And she would come with a politically powerful husband leaving the President constantly ganged up on by his understudy and her influential spouse. Who needs that kind of trouble?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't feel she should quit until last night. Her speech was divisive and I think it's now time for her to do what is in her party's interests. She's no longer fighting the good fight--she's just being a sore loser (in hopes of forcing her way onto the ticket in the VP slot).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I didn't feel she should quit until last night. Her speech was divisive and I think it's now time for her to do what is in her party's interests. She's no longer fighting the good fight--she's just being a sore loser (in hopes of forcing her way onto the ticket in the VP slot).

I think she knows she doesn't really have a shot at the VP slot. It needs to be a "white man," maybe even the proverbial "rich white man." While she has the appropriate connections and sits on the right committees, etc., etc., and the potential is there to bring everyone under one umbrella, I think it's likely that Obama will pick Sen. Jim Webb. Lots of maybes like John Edwards, and my personal favorite, Bill Richardson, but I'm betting Hillary is at the bottom of his list for all the reasons listed by other posters, and then some. Look for a concession on the health care plan, maybe even a cabinet seat for her, like health and human services, and maybe a buyout of her campaign debt. What she's doing is posturing, to negotiate from a position of strength-it's not a question of "if" she should surrender, it's when and what for....

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obama would be a FOOL to offer her the VP slot.

aside from the fact she doesnt bring anything to the table, that puts his LIFE in danger.

I wouldnt put an assasination past her ambition.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

aside from the fact she doesnt bring anything to the table, that puts his LIFE in danger.

I wouldnt put an assasination past her ambition.

his life's already in danger. He got Secret Service coverage early for a reason. Heck, the nuts over on the Stormfront are already taking up a collection for an assassin's defense fund.....

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Tellner's assessment, but want to add that I think Sen. Obama and the Democratic ticket need more diversity than Sen. Clinton can offer. I'm talking geographical diversity. Two baby boomers from Chicago might not cut it. The names ElDer999 mentioned; Jim WeBb, John EdWards, and Bill RichardSon may provide the ability to better draw voters from different parts of the country.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What this has illustrated to me is that she seems to have an awful sense of entitlement. She deserves the Presidency in her mind, and therefore she will get it. The problem is that reality hasn't quite lived up to her fantasy, but she refuses to admit it. The reason she hasn't conceded already is that to do so would mean to admit, especially to herself, that she's really not going to win; something that just doesn't occur to her.
Her base agrees with her. This is simply a race between those under 35 and those over 35. I'm betting there are more voters in her corner this time around, but in another four years a guy like Obama will win. Right now she is standing up for what her base believes in. That is something.
Sean

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Or any position in the administration.

She has proven that her only motivation for actions and positions is to further her own ambitions, often at the expense of those on her own 'team'. As such, she could not be trusted to further the President's agenda for leadership rather than her own political goals.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or any position in the administration.

She has proven that her only motivation for actions and positions is to further her own ambitions, often at the expense of those on her own 'team'. As such, she could not be trusted to further the President's agenda for leadership rather than her own political goals.
She has causes if you didn't notice.
sean

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
his life's already in danger. He got Secret Service coverage early for a reason. Heck, the nuts over on the Stormfront are already taking up a collection for an assassin's defense fund.....

Here is a website link to all of the deaths of Clinton associates. Interesting read...

http://earlcallaway.com/corpsecount.html

Even if she has causes, like healthcare. Is she REALLY serving them in this case by not conceding and working towards a unified party? If she tries to go "independant" it will just cause a three way split that will probably give McCain the advantage.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible do you think for a person who has the drive and will to be President to then subsume their own ambition and character work for the person who beat them? I don't necessarily mean Clinton and Obama but you have to have a strong personality to run for office as high profile and powerful as president, probably a strong sense of self and single mindedness as well which doesn't always gel well with being a team player in a lesser role.
If anyone is unselfish enough to see their 'opponent' win and can then work for them without feeling rancour or feeling they are wasting their talents were they actually the wrong person for the top job anyway? Should the Presidential candidate actually be quite ruthless and strong minded?
Apart from having someone who follows your views what do you actually look for in a President?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it possible do you think for a person who has the drive and will to be President to then subsume their own ambition and character work for the person who beat them?

That's pretty much the way it has always worked before. Bush used underhanded race-baiting tactics and outright lying fraud to beat McCain in the 2000 primaries, and McCain sucked it up and supported him in the general. In private, he was reported to really despise Bush, but put that aside in public for the benefit of the party. That is what is expected of losing primary candidates, and it has almost always happened that way.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it possible do you think for a person who has the drive and will to be President to then subsume their own ambition and character work for the person who beat them?

Perhaps. It does depend on why and when that prson exited the race.

I don't see Hillary do it for the good of the country and/or the party. She would make the vice-presidency all about her, to the detriment of Obama.

I can see someone like Edwards or Richardson being true to Obama, to show the party brass that they are team players, and to use the VP slot to raise their public profile for the next bid.

Latest Discussions