Shotokan Video's

M

marshallbd

Does anyone know of any well made shotokan forms dvd's out there that show all the Kata to 1st Dan? I am interested in something to learn the forms from for personel enjoyment/practice. I have seen the ones by Kenneth Funakoshi but they are very expensive and have only one form per tape.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
M

marshallbd

Pacificshore said:
Checkout www.karatevid.com

I actually saw the guy compete at a tournament, and his kata was pretty good. Might be something of use to you.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.... :asian:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have copies of the Shotokan "Blue Videos" that you may find on the net.
There are 26 katas in total.
Let me know if you wish to get a copy.

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
I have copies of the Shotokan "Blue Videos" that you may find on the net.
There are 26 katas in total.
Let me know if you wish to get a copy.
I would love to get a copy! :asian:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
I would love to get a copy! :asian:

Just an update..

I've sent a CD to Kaith for the Website.

If you have any questions on katas, or would like to discuss shotokan, I would be very interested.

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
Just an update..

If you have any questions on katas, or would like to discuss shotokan, I would be very interested.
I studied Shotokan With Frank Anderson in Germany for a short time but due to circumstances I was not able to continue (Deployments and such) But my favorite thing was to do the Kata. It is mentally relaxing for me. In your opinion, what is the most difficult kata to perform in the Shotokan system and what is the most fun Kata to perform in the Shotokan system? (No weapons Kata allowed!!!)

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
Just an update..

By the way, thanks for sending out that CD! What would I need to view those Kata on my home computer if you sent me a copy of that CD? (program wise I mean) I am not too literate when it comes to computers.... :asian:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
I studied Shotokan With Frank Anderson in Germany for a short time but due to circumstances I was not able to continue (Deployments and such) But my favorite thing was to do the Kata. It is mentally relaxing for me. In your opinion, what is the most difficult kata to perform in the Shotokan system and what is the most fun Kata to perform in the Shotokan system? (No weapons Kata allowed!!!)
Well, as I am in the Tekki Katas now, there are my fav.
I really enjoyed Heien Godan for the jump.
I haven't found on to be difficult, and I agree about the relaxing effect. I find myself very centered after doing a few.

What about you? Anything fro me to look forward to?

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
By the way, thanks for sending out that CD! What would I need to view those Kata on my home computer if you sent me a copy of that CD? (program wise I mean) I am not too literate when it comes to computers.... :asian:
Any type of media player (there are so many) the katas are in mpeg format.

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
Well, as I am in the Tekki Katas now, there are my fav.
I really enjoyed Heien Godan for the jump.
I haven't found on to be difficult, and I agree about the relaxing effect. I find myself very centered after doing a few.

What about you? Anything fro me to look forward to?
I seem to have a hard time with Anything where I place undue stress on my left leg. (Jumping comes to mind) I always found Jion to be a wonderful Kata to watch and ws in the very begining process of trying to learn it. I find the Kata very hard to learn at first (for me anyway) but then all of a sudden they click and they flow smooth and beautifully (At least to me) and I am off to another mental plane... :asian:

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
(...LOL..) those are the very same we have been speaking of.
Their called the "Blue Videos" 'cause of the background.
Oh I see....Well then I just happened to find them today....Thanks for all the help though... :asian:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
Oh I see....Well then I just happened to find them today....Thanks for all the help though... :asian:
No problem. Looking through the site I see alot of great info.

Thanks for the link.!!

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
No problem. Looking through the site I see alot of great info.

Thanks for the link.!!
You are most welcome! :asian:

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
marshallbd said:
You are most welcome! :asian:
On a side note.
Did you look at their criteria for each rank?
As I am studing with an instructor not affiliated with and organization, I was curious to see how I measured up ..so to speak..

OP
M

marshallbd

oldnewbie said:
On a side note.
Did you look at their criteria for each rank?
As I am studing with an instructor not affiliated with and organization, I was curious to see how I measured up ..so to speak..
As I remember it, the criteria for each rank on that site is correct for JKA standards. :asian:

Latest Discussions