Short Form 2

OP
R

Rainman

Back Up Mass

The use of body weight that is directly behind of the action that is taking place. For example (1) a punch that is delivered when the elbow is directly behind the fist, or (2) the bracing of one finger behind the other when delivering a 2 finger chop to the throat etc.
Back up mass is greatly enhanced when body alignment is achieved. Body alignment gets mass into proper perspective and allows the body to take full advantage of channeling wieght and energy while traveling in the same direction.

Infinite Insights V

Just a basic definition but like all things in this art it goes deeper.

Misalign the forearm and elbow and see how much power you lose. Step to 4:30 and see how much power is gained. It is your choice do what works best.

:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by kenpo3631
It's not wrong...per se. However if we are talking about the way it is written and the way it is taught to the beginner then , yes, it is wrong. I am just pointing out that as written, stepping back is wrong. Practically...there is nothing that says you can't step back, however I feel you lose the underlying power principle by doing so.

I'm just jerking your chain. "As Written" doesn't always mean "As Applied." It's there to teach.

My question know is, why are you stepping back? You say to gain directional harmony, which is not wrong, but you know as well as I do that we do certain things in the system to show different things, (like the middleknuckle strike in Short 2 ).
Also...I think you've been hit in the solar plexus, right Gou? Did it take allot of force to bend you over and knock the wind out of you? My point is you're delivering a hard weapon to a soft target, why do you need to generate all this force when all you need is just enough.

Because if I am doing a technique for my life I want to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamindation of the women. I want to hit with enough power to snap his spine on the first strike so I can pull his head around and stuff it up his @ss so the last sounds he hears will be muffled by his own butt cheeks.

But I see your point from a teaching point of view.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gou, Gou, Gou.... Always the one making light of things.

Ya know, I am only giving my opions on what I know as I was taught by my instructor. He studies with Huk so I guess he knows what he's talking about. It's just my opinion on things I read.

Sometimes I guess common sense is lost b/c we try to over analyze and throw our own junk into the base and miss the principles being taught. Not all, but some. Adding is not wrong, but I just wonder sometimes if people understand what the technique is teaching before they tailor it down to fit there own needs.

It IS cursed....:rofl:

OP
G

GouRonin

Gou, Gou, Gou.... Always the one making light of things

I always say if it's to serious to laugh at then it's not serious at all.

But in all reality I see what you are saying. There is a purpose for it. A guy like you needs to know that purpose because you need to be able to pass the system/art on.

Huk once told me that I will 2 styles of Kenpo. 1) The way the Old Man wanted it done so that it can be passed on. 2) My way that is tailored to me so I can use it.

It IS cursed....

Eeep! Can't fight the curse!
:eek:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score

NO. What I am saying is the "MAIN" power principle...the "power principle" that get's the job done primarily is TORQUE.:asian:

So in this technique, to accomplish "Torque" you don't have marriage of gravity play a role in this other than a "minor" roll. Is that right?

:confused:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Stepping to three o'clock is NOT the way that I was taught this technique, and I have to say that the way that I do it has been reinforced by several senior black belts under Mr. Parker... Here... let me name a few...

Bryan Hawkins
Frank Trejo
Dennis Conatser
Diane Tanaka
Larry Tatum
Gilbert Velez
Paul Mills
and Rainer Schulte

The step is to 4:30, and that is not just for power, but for stability in your stance. If you step to 3:00 with your left then you momentarily sacrifice a strong stance and end up leaving your self vulnerable to being pulled/pushed off balance.

REMEMBER: The guy is choking you from behind... If he has an applied grab don't you think he might decide to push and pull to destabalize you?

The understanding of this technique (among "ALL" of the others) is not totally gauged by the power in which you can strike your opponent, but also protecting your self from further impending danger (intentional or not).

4:30 is the way it is written, it is the way I have seen Mr. Parker teach it on video (I used to archive videos of Mr. Parker for his son). The video in question was one in which Mr. Parker was demonstrating on Bryan Hawkins, and it was spectacular to watch!!! (Unfortunately nobody but Edmund has a copy, and he wont let them out of his sight! Although, he might use the footage in an up comming video series he is in the middle of producing.)

MY SUGGESTION IS THAT IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT WHAT I AM SAYING HAVE SOMEONE GIVE YOU THE MOST REALISTIC ATTACK POSSIBLE AND EXPERIMENT WITH IT BOTH YOUR WAY AND TOWARD 4:30...

IF YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK 100% OF THE TIME BY STEPPING TO 3:00 THEN YOU ARE A BETTER MAN THAN ME.

Respectfully,
Billy Lear

P.S. this technique also has some environmental considerations that it accounts for. Just something for you to chew on. Take Care. :asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Stepping to three o'clock is NOT the way that I was taught this technique, and I have to say that the way that I do it has been reinforced by several senior black belts under Mr. Parker... Here... let me name a few...

Bryan Hawkins
Frank Trejo
Dennis Conatser
Diane Tanaka
Larry Tatum
Gilbert Velez
Paul Mills
and Rainer Schulte

The step is to 4:30, and that is not just for power, but for stability in your stance. If you step to 3:00 with your left then you momentarily sacrifice a strong stance and end up leaving your self vulnerable to being pulled/pushed off balance.

REMEMBER: The guy is choking you from behind... If he has an applied grab don't you think he might decide to push and pull to destabalize you?

The understanding of this technique (among "ALL" of the others) is not totally gauged by the power in which you can strike your opponent, but also protecting your self from further impending danger (intentional or not).

4:30 is the way it is written, it is the way I have seen Mr. Parker teach it on video (I used to archive videos of Mr. Parker for his son). The video in question was one in which Mr. Parker was demonstrating on Bryan Hawkins, and it was spectacular to watch!!! (Unfortunately nobody but Edmund has a copy, and he wont let them out of his sight! Although, he might use the footage in an up comming video series he is in the middle of producing.)

MY SUGGESTION IS THAT IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT ABOUT WHAT I AM SAYING HAVE SOMEONE GIVE YOU THE MOST REALISTIC ATTACK POSSIBLE AND EXPERIMENT WITH IT BOTH YOUR WAY AND TOWARD 4:30...

IF YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK 100% OF THE TIME BY STEPPING TO 3:00 THEN YOU ARE A BETTER MAN THAN ME.

Respectfully,
Billy Lear

P.S. this technique also has some environmental considerations that it accounts for. Just something for you to chew on. Take Care. :asian:

Bill,
The technique in question is OBSCURE WING not TWIRLING WINGS:D

OP
G

GouRonin

He's on crack?

But we love him anyway!
:iws:

OP
W

WilliamTLear